Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the Reds make another trade?

Do the Reds make another trade?

Do the Reds make another trade before opening day.I say yes.Not sure for what or who but I see the Reds making a trade.I think they will still some how try to get another veteran starter or a RH bat for the lineup.I would love to see the Reds add some decent lefty to the rotation and a power righty for the lineup.I dont know if they can do both but I feel they will address one or the other before opening day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do the Reds make another trade?

It would not hurt to get those things but I guess it would be OK without.

I still see Freel gone by the time the season rolls around (with minimal return). I think it will be a Bruce/Hopper platoon in CF until Bruce is ready for the job everyday.

As for a lefty, I think Affeldt will be given every opportunity to man down a spot in the rotation. With no big starters out there left for trade, I see the Reds holding out until next offseason when there are more starters to choose from in the FA market.

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    ... With no big starters out there left for trade, I see the Reds holding out until next offseason when there are more starters to choose from in the FA market.
    I agree that they will just hold off for next year when there is more to choose from. I think they have a great chance to have a winning season with the ensemble of players they have now. As much as I'd love to see a run for the post season, I'll be content with a winning record this year.

Problem with getting a veteran starter by trade remains the same. You will have a very difficult time getting one who is good enough to help because any such starter will also be extremely valuable to his own team. Thus to get one, you will have to pay a price that will do considerable damage to what you have; or, you'll end up getting one that will not be good enough to help very much and whose presence will only take away innings needed by your young pitchers. Seems to me that if the club really wants one more somewhat helpful veteran starter, it would be hard to do better than Lohse if he can be had on a one year contract. I'm not in favor of that personally, but that would be the best way to go.

Unless the Bedard to Seattle falls through and the O's lower their asking price, I don't see anyone else available that would fit our need! Bedard would have helped without question but the asking price was too high and it would have cost a fortune to keep him beyond his current contract. I think we sit tight, maybe a minor trade but nothing major.

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    I still see Freel gone by the time the season rolls around (with minimal return). I think it will be a Bruce/Hopper platoon in CF until Bruce is ready for the job everyday.
    Yeah, if Bruce shows in ST that he is ready then Freel is probably gone. If not then we have an insurance policy. Maybe we trade freel to the braves for a PTBNL then make that Valenzsula so we have his rights and can put him down in the minors for development.

I want more for Freel than Valenzuela.

I think we are done for now.

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    I think we are done for now.
    I think they are done for now as well. If they do anything, it would be a minor deal to sure up the bench.

We are most likely done making trades for this year, unless we do manage to trade Freel or Hatteberg for some minor leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I want more for Freel than Valenzuela.
    well you will be heavily dissappointed whenever a deal goes down where he is dealt then.

BRIAN ANDERSON!

Sean Marshall and his 82 mph heater

Freel's injury to his "wheels" greatly reduced his value, unless he shows no ill effects at ST. Then, maybe some team that could use his versatility and fire to get to the next level rolls the dice. Anyway you look at it, he is the odd man out and sadly, is #1 on the "To be traded list".

Turn Off Ads?