Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fun predictions

Fun predictions

Ever since I was a teenager (20+ yrs ago) I would get myself through the agonizing days leading up to the start of spring training by writing down predictions for the coming year.

So here goes the 2008 version of fun predictions. What if...

1. Griffey is spurred on by the emergence of Jay Bruce and his possible last as a Red and delivers his best season since 2000.

2. Votto surprises by outhitting Bruce in their rookie seasons

3. Keppinger platoons at 1b and forces his way into the lineup elsewhere proving last year was not a fluke. Hopper does the same in center. Both hit over .300 again.

4. Volquez makes everyone forget about Josh Hamilton

5. Belisle makes everyone stop talking about the need to find a #3 starter

6. Bray makes everyone stop talking about how bad the Trade was and combines with Burton and Cordero to make every game a 7 inning contest.

7. Bailey and Cueto make everyone forget about the pros and cons of trading for Bedard.

8. By the 2nd half, the Reds have the best rotation in the central and chase down the Cubs for a neck and neck race for 1st place.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fun predictions

1. One of the Reds win ROY (doesnt hurt that we will probably have 3 rookies on our opening day roster)

2. Santana will have an era above 4 and still will get more votes for Cy Young than Harang

3. Dunn competes for an MVP after doing what most of us wish for and being a much more aggressive batter.

4. Cordero will be talked about as one of the best signings off this offseason as the reds bullpen ERA drops 2 earned runs.

5. Coffey fixes his problem of throwing balls high in the strike zone. Mainly because of his mechanics but people will say its because of the weight.

6. Phillips wont hit 30 homers again but will win the gold glove

7. Ross hits .240

8. We go undefeated against the Cubs. Ok ok thats not a prediction but a hope just because of the irony.

Hope makes it all worthwhile.

Plus Majewski gets healthy,he had a rough year ,also Gonzo gets to bring his baby to games.We have so many players in AAA(especially pitchers)putting up MLB ready numbers,We have 15 of MLB's top 50 prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    7. Ross hits .240

If only.

Senor Votto

I'm pretty optimistic about this season for the Redlegs. So here's mine.

1. Dunn hits 50 home runs (But a majority of the fans still dislike him).

2. Harang has a career high 19 wins and finishes 3rd in the Cy Young voting behind Johan Santana and Jake Peavy.

3. Votto wins Rookie of the Year beating out Jay Bruce (who will also have a good year).

4. Bailey regains his title of being an untouchable with a good season in the Majors with a record of 10-5 and an ERA around 4.50.

5. Brandon Phillips hits 31 homers.

6. The bullpen won't be the problem this year.

7. Belisle does about the same as he did last year.

8. The Reds finish 2nd in the division behind the Cubs.

My turn

1. A Red does win the ROY but it is Bailey not Bruce or Votto.

2. Both Bruce and Votto have solid years.

3. Dunn hit 50 HRs and .280 and wins the MVP

4. Philips is silver slugger and gold glover.

5. Griffey has great year, he looks and is rejuvenated and there are whispers of him catching Bonds for all time HR leader.

6. Harang wins 22 games and the CY.

7. EE has a breakout year. (I really think this will happen)

8. Cordero is the Fireman of the Year

9. REDS WIN IT ALL!!

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredfan#1 View Post
    My turn

1. A Red does win the ROY but it is Bailey not Bruce or Votto.

2. Both Bruce and Votto have solid years.

3. Dunn hit 50 HRs and .280 and wins the MVP

4. Philips is silver slugger and gold glover.

5. Griffey has great year, he looks and is rejuvenated and there are whispers of him catching Bonds for all time HR leader.

6. Harang wins 22 games and the CY.

7. EE has a breakout year. (I really think this will happen)

8. Cordero is the Fireman of the Year

9. REDS WIN IT ALL!!
    WIRE TO WIRE BABY!!!
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000 View Post
    WIRE TO WIRE BABY!!!
    Wow, that's optimistic, but mine are too.

1. Bruce wins Rookie of the Year.
    2. Dunn doesn't win MVP, but hits 45+hr, 140+rbi, and hits 275.
    3. Votto hits 25+hrs and has solid season.
    4. Griffey is rested more frequently and stays healthy all year.
    5. Harang wins 18+games and finishes 2nd in CY.
    6. Bailey emerges as solid no. 3 to Harang and Arroyo.
    7. Arroyo bounces back and wins 15 games.
    8. Cordero saves 50+games.
    9. Reds go to the playoffs as either NL Central or wildcard winner.

1. Votto will win Rookie of the Year
    2. Griffey stays healthy all year, but begins to decline in production
    3. The improved bullpen helps all our starting pitchers, and we win 10 more games than in 2007
    4. Bailey wins 10-12 games, and posts a 4.50 ERA
    5. Cordero saves 40 games
    6. Edwin finally breaks through, hitting .300 with 30 hr and 100 rbi
    7. Keppinger does prove last year was not a fluke, and forces the manager to bench Gonzalez

Some of these "predictions" would make the 27 Yankees quiver in fear.

Cut back on the Kool-Aid a slight bit. I think the Reds improve, but there are still several question marks.

I see them finishing within 4-5 games of .500 either way.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    We have so many players in AAA(especially pitchers)putting up MLB ready numbers,We have 15 of MLB's top 50 prospects.
    This is inaccurate. After the big 4, no one else even shows up in most people's top 100 list.

Recovering Cubs Fan

My only prediction is that lots of people will develop an appreciation for the phrase in my signature.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

* Aaron Harang leads the league in wins and strikeouts, again. He will finish 3rd in CYA voting behind Peavy and Santana.

* Edwin Encarnacion will hit .290 with 30 HR and 45+ 2Bs. Unfortunately, he will be hard pressed to make the AS team behind David Wright.
    * Alex Gonzalez will prove last year's ho-hum fielding was due to his troubles with his young son, although he will regress offensively.

* Ken Griffey Jr. will be ineffective before being hit with a string of nagging injuries, which leads to...

* Jay Bruce and Ryan Freel playing CF and RF, respectively. Freel will bounce back after being concussed for most of last year and show the patience at the plate he used to be capable of. Bruce will hit .250 with 15 HR or so and play a good CF, although some here will be concerned by his lack of walks.

* Brandon Phillips hits only 20-25 HR, although he will add on another 10 BB or so and step the average up to above .300. He'll play Gold Glove caliber D', but he won't win it without an injury to Orlando Hudson.

* Adam Dunn will nearly replicate last year.

* Joey Votto will hit ~.280 and hit 20+ HR, and will surprise with his fielding skills. He will be discussed with ROY candidates.

* Bailey will K/9 around 6.5 and BB/9 around 4.5. ERA around 4.7. Cueto comes up around June, and while he won't show the control problems Bailey did last year, he will prove to be a tad more hittable in his rookie year, and perhaps give up more HR.

* Volquez becomes this year's Kyle Lohse.

* Belisle builds on his strong start to '07, and posts an ERA in the low 4s while not allowing many more hits than IP.

* Weathers will be Weathers, Burton will be strong in the 7th and 8th innings, while Cordero will prove to be a good
    signing. Stanton and Majewski too many appearances on the mound, while McBeth, Bray, and Salmon will make far too few. Todd Coffey becomes an average BP'er. Josh Roenicke will be a no-show in '08, but will still impress in the minors.

* Todd Frazier will become the Reds' top ML prospect. Kyle Lotzkar will turn heads in the minors.

* We will all be begging for a different catcher all season.

* The Reds' toothpick budget will skyrocket.
    Last edited by TC81190; 02-04-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Fixed the wall o' text

Turn Off Ads?