Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kidney stone story

kidney stone story

Woke up one morning last May-pain/nausea in my right side,enough to keep me from drawing a good breath--go to emergency room--doc tells me I have kidney stones--gives me a shot 4 nausea which really helped-gave me vicodins for pain--they helped-went home+slept for several hours and felt fine----saw my urologist a few days later--he took an xray and said I have 2 small kidney stones in right side that are in such a position that they may never bother me again or could move and go nuclear 5 minutes or 50 years from now..very reassuring--he said I could have a procedure done involving wires going up places that they dont belong....other than the original episode in May nothing has happened since then..wouldn't I feel them if I passed them? eveytime I have a twinge in my side I think Oh crap here it comes..I wonder if they are still there but I cant afford an xray every other week.....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    On the brink of disaster

Re: kidney stone story

I went through kidney stones over the summer. The pain lasted for more than two days, with the nausea and everything. I passed them, and I felt some but not the others. It kind of depends on what kind they are. Some break up as they go through, some do not. I must say that I do the same thing when my side/back starts to feel funny, but luckily I haven't had any other problems. The only thing I can say is something others here told me... Lay off caffeine and drink lots of water. I've cut caffeine almost completely out of my diet.

The only way you could have told for sure is to filter your urine, which I'm surprised they didn't have you do.

Also, people who have never had kidney stones can't relate to the pain, it took me to the floor, and my orthopaedic doctor says I have one of the highest pain tolerances he's ever seen. People who hadn't had them where I work picked on me a little, but one of my bosses who had been in that situation quickly explained that it is nothing to laugh at...
    Last edited by acredsfan; 02-04-2008 at 10:56 PM.

yeah--i did the filter thing for about a month after that but to no avail

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    yeah--i did the filter thing for about a month after that but to no avail
    Fun isn't it? I hope you don't have any other problems. It's just an uneasy feeling I'm sure. I really can't give you any other advice if filtering offered nothing. I'm sure someone here can help though. I wish you the best.

I had them myself a few years back. Haven't had a recurrence, and it has been five years.
    Part of the pain for me was not knowing what the heck it was. Could have sworn my appendix was about to burst.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

My step-father passed one the size of a small chestnut. Ouch, it was big.

I feel for you, man.

The most painful things I've ever been through:

1) Asthma attack (Never had one until I was 31 years old. I thought I was dead.)
    2) Abcess tooth

Anybody ever tells you they have asthma, sympathize with them. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    My step-father passed one the size of a small chestnut.
    I did NOT need to read that, Dom.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I did NOT need to read that, Dom.
    I was working for him at the time, and he brought it out to show everyone in the break area.

I was sort of like you were- I didn't need to see that- but then I figured, you know, that man just pushed that through his urinary tract, so he can do whatever the heck he wants with it. If he needs me to say, holy cow, I'm saying holy cow. He was sweating something awful.

It was bigger than anything I ever thought you could pass through there.

My step-father passed one the size of a small chestnut. Ouch, it was big.

I feel for you, man.

The most painful things I've ever been through:

1) Asthma attack (Never had one until I was 31 years old. I thought I was dead.)
    2) Abcess tooth

Anybody ever tells you they have asthma, sympathize with them. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
    I had a chipped tooth one time that allowed air to get to the nerve. I have no idea why, but it felt like someone was taking a knife and stabbing me in my gum. It was the worst pain I have ever felt and nothing has even come close.

If kidney stones are worse than that pain, then man...that would be rough.

I was working for him at the time, and he brought it out to show everyone in the break area.

I was sort of like you were- I didn't need to see that- but then I figured, you know, that man just pushed that through his urinary tract, so he can do whatever the heck he wants with it. If he needs me to say, holy cow, I'm saying holy cow. He was sweating something awful.

It was bigger than anything I ever thought you could pass through there.
    What's it like to have Chuck Norris as a father in law?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I've been processing a kidney stone about every six months for the past three or four years. The first was by far the worst, but the last one was pretty bad, too.

I have had worse pain, though. I was in a car wreck many years ago, and some time later discovered that I had torn a hole in my diaphragm. My colon apparently wanted to go exploring and tried to move up, through the small hole, into my chest cavity. It managed to partly make it.

The pain was close, but the stones haven't been quite as bad as that.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

What's it like to have Chuck Norris as a father in law?
    My step dad is in his seventies. Pretty impressive. I think the first thing out of my mouth was that he should make the thing into a necklace to wear so he could tell people, "You see that? That went through my _____!!!!!"

My step dad is in his seventies. Pretty impressive. I think the first thing out of my mouth was that he should make the thing into a necklace to wear so he could tell people, "You see that? That went through my _____!!!!!"
    My dad had kidney stones back in the early 60's. They sliced him open like a watermelon and removed them. Pretty major surgery.

He kept them in a little glass tube with a screw top in his dresser drawer. One day, my brother dared me to open it and smell them. I did.

I really shouldn't have.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post

I have had worse pain, though. I was in a car wreck many years ago, and some time later discovered that I had torn a hole in my diaphragm. My colon apparently wanted to go exploring and tried to move up, through the small hole, into my chest cavity. It managed to partly make it.
    Egads!

I smell a new thread: Worst Pain You've Ever Felt

Who wants to start it?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

bump....OK a few weeks back it flared up so this past Friday I had a stent put in but they said it is 9mm's and likely still wouldnt come out on its own--it is lodged somehow--i have an appointment next monday to have it lasered...i am hearing from others and reading horror stories on the internet about horrific the pain is after the lasering..it depends on how much of it they can clear out after they laser it..i am relatively new where i work at and dont want to call off a bunch but sounds like i will probably have to..i really dread next week

Turn Off Ads?