Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kidney stone story

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: kidney stone story

Is there a reason some people get these? Diet? Genetic? Is there something you can do to minimize the possibilty of getting them?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I get mine because I subsist almost totally on cheese.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Is there a reason some people get these? Diet? Genetic? Is there something you can do to minimize the possibilty of getting them?
    I have been a fierce pop drinker all my life--mountain dew(diet) the last several years..I drink pop for water...I have a feeling next week I will pay for that too...anyone else out there had a kidney stone lasered???

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    bump....OK a few weeks back it flared up so this past Friday I had a stent put in but they said it is 9mm's and likely still wouldnt come out on its own--it is lodged somehow--i have an appointment next monday to have it lasered...i am hearing from others and reading horror stories on the internet about horrific the pain is after the lasering..it depends on how much of it they can clear out after they laser it..i am relatively new where i work at and dont want to call off a bunch but sounds like i will probably have to..i really dread next week
    I had the laser a few years back. Couldn't hold it in for about a week. I don't remember the pain being too awful, but I was pretty drugged up at the time, some cocktail of vicodin, detrol, and something I'm forgetting. After the laser, they'll leave the stent in for 7-10 days (at least they did mine). And as bad as that is, I have to warn you about the removal of the stent. It's pretty much hold on for dear life and pull. In my situation at least, there's no way I could have gone to work.

I'm almost exclusively a water and beer drinker these days. Gave up the pop almost immediately. My doctor said to lay off pop and I should be all right. Haven't had anything close to a relapse.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Ok so on 3/26 I go back to get the stone lasered. I wake up expecting the very worst and here comes my wife down the hallway beaming/smiling. She tells me the urologist said that he could no longer find the stone,took x rays and couldnt find it anywhere(said there was an extreme remote chance it went up back into my kidney somehow but said that was highly unlikely). He said that from where I had the stent put in a week earlier(the stent causes you to have to go A LOT) the harder flow caused the stone to disolve on its own. Apparently there are different types of stone and said this was the easiest kind to break up. He took the stent out while I was under so I didnt even have to go back for a followup. I had spent weeks hearing horrific pain stories and looking up youtube videos that I shouldn't have watched. I consider myself very lucky.

My wife has had a history of gall stone problems. About 5 years ago she had an attack that was unusually painful. The woman must have one high threshold for pain because I was just about ready to leave for work when I went in to check on her. She was in bed, white as a sheet, sweating profusely, and I could see she was in intense agony. I said "That's it! We're going to the emergency room right now!" My wife, like her Dad, hates going to doctors, so she fought me on it. But I forced her. I was ready to carry her out to the car.

At the ER they brought in a Dr who examined her. The gall bladder was ready to erupt. It was already releasing gang green into her system. They called in a surgeon for emergency surgery. Afterwards, the surgeon told me he had never, in all his life as a surgeon, seen a gall bladder in that bad of shape. If it had erupted, and it was ready to, she could have died from all the gang green.

She ended up staying in the hospital for a week, and was bed-ridden for another week because she was in such a weakened state.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Glad to hear everything worked out Butler. Sounds like a perfect ending.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?