Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Other Phillips- Future of 1b?

The Other Phillips- Future of 1b?

I'm sure we all did this when Andy Phillips was signed, but I've been looking into him lately. Another thread got me thinking about the future of 1b. Andy Phillips has incredible offensive numbers in AAA, and though he's struggled in the MLB w/ the NYY, he's actually had decent production as of late:
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Phillips.shtml

He's older than Votto and has more experience that could account for his dominance in AAA, but his numbers in AAA are similar to Votto's, w/ 1 exception - Phillips hits LH and RH about equally ... meaning he's not a great candidate for a platoon. Votto, on the other hand, is very, very weak against LH pitching.

WK, might be seeing (1) A.Phillips as the next B.Phillips (but older)... great minor-league numbers and starting to turn the corner in the MLB... or (2) maybe he's filler or (3) maybe he's a AAA replacement for Votto coming up the majors...

However, if WK's mindset is (1) above, I think the Reds have an interesting question about 1st base:

-Hatteberg/Keppinger platoon
    -Votto/Keppinger platoon w/ Hatteberg as a solid bench guy (which Hatteberg has been vocal about not wanting to be) or
    -A.Phillips given a chance to become the 1st baseman of the future (a la the route he took w/ David Ross)

In WK's mind.. he may view Votto & Phillips as equals. It's known that he views Votto as a AAAA player, and in his mind the differences may be that Votto is younger and cheaper while Phillips can hit off LH/RH nearly equally.

I think there's a good chance that we see Votto shopped hard before the season starts. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Other Phillips- Future of 1b?

Votto will be given his chance this year and rightly so, he's earned it. If he craps out then and only then should talk of someone else come up.

Andy Phillips was signed to provide organizational depth at 1B.

If he gets more than 50 ab's in the majors this year I'll be shocked.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think they really like Votto. We'll see. Sucks Hatte is a lefty, but then again I think he can hit both RP and LP. He's a crafty veteren. I think a nice piece to the bench even though the piece doesn't fit perfectly. If votto struggles or hits a slump nice to have Hate here.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I'm a Votto fan and am excited to see what he can do, but I think if WK can trade him for something that helps the team out.. he will.

I think that some package of Votto, Freel, & reliever 'spect (Roenicke, Viola, etc) could land us a pretty good arm or one w/ potential... and I don't think that trade would hurt the Reds that much in terms of what we give up.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    In WK's mind.. he may view Votto & Phillips as equals. It's known that he views Votto as a AAAA player, and in his mind the differences may be that Votto is younger and cheaper while Phillips can hit off LH/RH nearly equally.

I think there's a good chance that we see Votto shopped hard before the season starts. Thoughts?
    I really doubt that he views Phillips and Votto as equals. Phillips is a 30 year old retread, Votto is one of the top minor league prosects and hit well in his debut last year.

Votto a AAA player???? See above.

Votto may be shopped hard for pitching, but it has nothing to do with Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I really doubt that he views Phillips and Votto as equals. Phillips is a 30 year old retread, Votto is one of the top minor league prosects and hit well in his debut last year.

Votto a AAA player???? See above.

Votto may be shopped hard for pitching, but it has nothing to do with Phillips.
    Yes, i agree. I seriously double WK thinks of them as the same. Votto showed some pretty good talent the month he played. I'm sure we are looking for pitching, but there is no pitching to be had. Getting Affelt and the Josh trade was the best we can do. Sucks, but some of these guys have to step up if we have a chance at all. That being said I am in the camp that didn't want to trade the farm for few guys available.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

What's wrong with Joey Votto, exactly?
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I've heard that "AAAA Player" crap before, but I can't remember if it was attributed to DanO, or Wayne.

I do remember DanO balking on a Dunn/Votto for Edwin Jackson deal because he didn't want to lose Votto.

Or was it Kearns/Votto?

Either way, I don't believe the statement was actually made when I consider the actual facts.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What's wrong with Joey Votto, exactly?
    He's a lefty and we have too many of them seems to be the main argument.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I've heard that "AAAA Player" crap before, but I can't remember if it was attributed to DanO, or Wayne.

I do remember DanO balking on a Dunn/Votto for Edwin Jackson deal because he didn't want to lose Votto.

Or was it Kearns/Votto?

Either way, I don't believe the statement was actually made when I consider the actual facts.
    The AAAA player comment comes from a comment Trent made on his blog last year. If it's true, it was Wayne who said it.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The AAAA player comment comes from a comment Trent made on his blog last year. If it's true, it was Wayne who said it.
    I read that quote when it came out and it was attributed to "someone in the organization". I don't recall any evidence that it was Krivsky.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Phillips has only had 600 PA's in the majors but so far he's got some pretty dramatic reverse platoon splits which would suggest he's a poor pairing for either Votto or Hatteberg. He's also projected to be below average offensively for a first baseman in 2008.

I'd say he has no real chance to make the 25 man roster.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I've seen quite a bit of Andy Phillips and if you just watch a game or two you realize he really isn't anything special. He's definatly no where near Votto's level.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I don't think the Andy Phillips signing in any way has an effect on Votto really at all. I think Phillips was signed as more of an insurance policy and/or to obtain more depth at the first base position. Hatteberg is there and will start the season backing Votto up who, barring just an absolutely horrid spring, Votto should be the starting first baseman. But with that being said, I am sure if someone flashed a fantastic deal in front of Wayne that he could pass down like Votto, an OF Prospect and another pitcher say a Molony for a stud pitcher then I am sure Wayne would pull the trigger and that is where our insurance policy on Andy Phillips would come into play. We would be able to use him then. Again as Pedro stated earlier:

Andy Phillips was signed to provide organizational depth at 1B.

If he gets more than 50 ab's in the majors this year I'll be shocked.

Turn Off Ads?