Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pain You've Ever Felt

Re: Worst Pain You've Ever Felt

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That may have been her experience, but I'm willing to bed a lot of angry mothers would speak to different experience (including my own -- 30 hours of labor with a very stubborn baby).

You've seen the size of your babies, and you've seen the size of what they come out of. They don't really line up so well.
    My point exactly. I saw what she went though with our first. I thought she was crazy when she said she didn't want anything for our second.

I said "look, if it was me, I'd be begging for very strong drugs. I saw how this all went down. I don't think you recall clearly what this was like". But it was her decision.

So when she tells my daughters that birthing "isn't all that bad", I tell them to check back with me later and I'll tell them what it was really like.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Physical pain: About 15 years ago I had a piece of galvanized nail stuck in one of my eyes. The great part is that it had to be drilled out.

Last year I had a complete tear of my right achillies tendon. After about 20 minutes of quite potent pain, it wasn't too bad. Foot did not work very well though.

I had my gall bladder removed. This required a trifecta of pain.

1. 1st the pain that caused it. Apparently I didn't have stones, I had gravel. It completely blocked my liver. this flared up on me three times in about 5 years. Always diagnosed as gas. My liver had swelled up in the episode that I had Hepatitis.
    2. Catheter... need I say more.
    3. drainage tube from where the gall bladder was. This felt like a knife coming out. at least I imagine that's what a knife would feel like.

That surgery was my first experience with projectile vomiting too. Imagine this fresh hell... Catheter, Drainage tube and vomiting so hard it goes across a room.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

easily ... passing kidney stones. The pain combined with the heaving was beyond description.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The passing of my Dad, which has been 10 years ago this past Christmas.
    I hear you, GAC, my dad passed last November. It hurts.

Worst physical pain was following cancer surgery. Incision was in my lower abdomen and for about a week afterwards, I thought I was going to pass out every time I stood up and tried to walk. Nausea from the radiation treatment only added to the awesomeness.

The good news: cancer-free now for 10+ years!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

My gastroenteritis certainly can't top most of these stories, especially GR's, but when I had my problem, I was in the process of moving out of a 3rd floor apartment all by myself and then driving from Omaha to my parents' house. I had to stop so many times to either go to the bathroom or just lie down somewhere to alleviate the pain. I went through commencement and then the day after went into the hospital. I broke my ankle a little over 3 years ago and that pain was nothing compared to that. Plus I could take pills for the ankle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I hear you, GAC, my dad passed last November. It hurts.
    Mine went in April of 2004. The pain will never get better, I'm convinced.

Frankie: What's the matter?

Willie: Eh, my shoulder hurts. You know - you know that narrow hallway in the boiler room? The one with the, uh--?

Frankie: Exposed bolts comin' out o' the wall?

Willie: Yeah. Well, every time I walk past it, the bolts dig right into my shoulder. I-- It's very painful.

Frankie: Boy. You wanna talk about some pain? I bought one o' them linoleum knives the other day, you know?

Willie: With the double edge?

Frankie: Right.

Willie: Yeah?

Frankie: So, I go home, you know, and I spread my toes apart and I just start sawing, back and forth and back and forth, you know?

Willie: Mm hmm.

Frankie: And I take a little thing o' Tobasco sauce, you know?

Willie: Yeah.

Frankie: And just dump it on there. Talk about a hotfoot, mister! Boy, that was rough.

Willie: Yeah, I know what you mean. You know, the other day, I took one o' them, uh--?

Frankie: Meat thermometers?

Willie: Yeah! And I just shoved it into my ear, you know? As far as it could go, you know? But then I took one o' them, uh--?

Frankie: Ball-peen hammers?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Hate it when that happens.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm willing to bed a lot of angry mothers
    You know, I'd be willing to do the exact same thing. The mood never concerned me much.

Yeesh..... youse guys and gals have been through some serious pain. I hate to even mention mine.

I had my lip stitched up with no antestetic when I was 12. Waited too long to tell my mom and the emergency room hack wouldn't numb it. Also had a big fish hook stuck in my head, past the barb. Doctor cut it from the lure with pliers and pushed it on through and pulled it out from the hook end, no antestetic then either.

Still small potatoes compared to some of the stories I've read here.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeesh..... youse guys and gals have been through some serious pain. I hate to even mention mine.

I had my lip stitched up with no antestetic when I was 12. Waited too long to tell my mom and the emergency room hack wouldn't numb it. Also had a big fish hook stuck in my head, past the barb. Doctor cut it from the lure with pliers and pushed it on through and pulled it out from the hook end, no antestetic then either.

Did they stick a leach on the wound?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Jeeeezuuusssss....I gotta quit reading this thread. You people have been through the ringer.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

I had my lip stitched up with no antestetic when I was 12. Waited too long to tell my mom and the emergency room hack wouldn't numb it.

I don't know, that one makes me all squirmy, like torture.

Crushed my cheekbone playing baseball as a kid. Was playing 2B while doing basestealing drills. Took a throw from the catcher slightly off the bag toward the 1B side. Idiot runner was looking at the ball all the way, didn't slide, and smoked me with a knee to the head. Both luckily, and unluckily, I didn't pass out. In response to my coach's (another complete moron) demand that I just "Walk it off", I pointed to the growing pool of blood on the ground being expelled from what used to be my sinus cavity.

The bones broke in such a way that my left eye actually slid down a bit, which scared the bejeezus out of kids in the hospital waiting room. Hurt like nothing I've ever felt before or after, but they wouldn't give me anything at all to dull the pain prior to checking it out, running x-rays, etc. The fix was easy enough after they got me into surgery the next day, but waiting for a painkiller was the worst couple hours of my life.

The only thing that was even close was a couple years back when I had some sort of allergic reaction to something (docs could never figure out what it was) and ended up with a case of recurring, travelling full-body hives (including my face and scalp) that lasted for five days. The onset of each episode was so severe that huge wheals would explode my capillaries; leaving me with huge bruises all over my body. Three trips to the emergency room later, the docs finally prescribed ingestible steroids to help deal with this extremely nasty reaction. That may have saved my life when the hives finally went internal (yes, they can do that). The hives eventully hit my lungs, but because of the steroids I only experienced shortness of breath and burning rather than asphyxiation. And don't even get me started on how painful it is when wheals start busting out all over one's feet.

While the cheekbone issue was the most severe single event I went through, the hive issues were the single most frustrating thing ever.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?