Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pain You've Ever Felt

Re: Worst Pain You've Ever Felt

I can't match anything thing in this thread. At least not physical pain.

The worst pain I've been through is emotional; I'd go into detail, but it's probably laughable to you guys.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Man, I can't beat most of you guys...

But the worst I've had I would probably have to say was a torn lumbar muscle. It takes the cake simply because of how long the pain lasted. I was in a soccer game and I went to slidetackle a guy and legs got tangled, I made a weird twist and didn't really feel anything. Went to get up and... I couldnt! It felt so bad I just had to lie there. I didn't get it checked out until the next day when I also couldn't get out of bed.

After that, it would be the time I slipped in the shower and put a small tear in my MCL and chipped small parts of my knee cap. I could actually see the little bone chips "floating" around in the swollen knee. Ended my highschool sports career with that one

The fainting is scary. I lived with a girl for a couple of years that had the same problem. A couple of times a year she would faint. Real out of the blue. No real rhyme or reason to it. Very scary and very frustrating. She couldn't get a doctor to give her a real solid answer as to why it was happening.

They would just tell her to be careful. As I'm sure VP can confirm, it's tough to be careful when it only happens a couple times a year. Makes driving scary.

I have two shoulders that constantly dislocate/separate. First time it happened I was playing home run derby in my buddy's back yard, tried swinging left handed (normally a righty) and my shoulder popped out of socket and stayed out. It was ridiculously painful (I don't handle pain well at all).
    We'll win it all next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    The fainting is scary. I lived with a girl for a couple of years that had the same problem. A couple of times a year she would faint. Real out of the blue. No real rhyme or reason to it. Very scary and very frustrating. She couldn't get a doctor to give her a real solid answer as to why it was happening.

They would just tell her to be careful. As I'm sure VP can confirm, it's tough to be careful when it only happens a couple times a year. Makes driving scary.
    Non-fainters get very concerned, but I think for some people it just happens. All the women in my family faint. I'm sure it's compounded by the fact that I have a low pulse, low blood pressure (hypotension), low body temperature...basically, I'm barely alive. Seriously, though, if it's connected to an actual physical problem driving might be a concern, but for people to whom it just happens there's usually some warning or cause (drop in blood pressure via blood taken, listening to a gory story on the radio etc.) I've learned that fighting fainting can actually be worse. It makes you terribly nauseated and usually doesn't even work.

Suffice it to say, nothing like getting stabbed in the back. Not even close.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

This doesn't compare either, to some of the above. When I was 15, I caught an elbow playing basketball in PE and got 2 teth knocked out. They weren't broken, and the dentist pushed them both in at the same time. It made a loud pop (he said it was the air being forced out of the socket around the tooth), and he was pushing so hard veins were bulging on his forearms. When they popped in it hurt so bad, in a hot kind of way, bt for only a moment. It was so intense. Then, I had to get root canals. He said since they were now "dead" he didn't need to apply anesthesia. Well, they ween't dead yet. He drilled into a still living tooth and I came up ouy of the chair. Pain was beyond description.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm waiting for a woman to pop into this thread to talk about childbirth.

I've not experienced anything like the pain on this thread (some of which has actually made me a little dizzy). The worst pain I ever had probably resulted from a fainting episode. I faint a few times a year on average and have fallen in all kinds of unseemly ways. The nice (and extremely weird) thing about fainting is that you can have the crap beaten out of you while you faint and never feel a thing. I've fallen into tables, burnt my hand, sprained an ankle, you name it.

But one time I was in a doctors office and had blood taken -- just a little finger prick, so I thought I might not faint. Wrong. The nurse left and I started to feel dizzy, which made me make the extremely stupid decision to try to put my head down to get some blood to it. Problematically, I was sitting on an examining table. I woke up and had no idea where I was, which is always the case when you come to after fainting, but then the next thing I realized was that my entire head felt like it was splitting apart and I had blood all over me. I had fallen head-first (and full-force, since when you're fainting you have nothing to break your fall) on the sink counter and somehow also scraped off the entire center of my face on the carpet. I had a concussion, a chipped tooth, and due to all the missing skin down the center of my face, I also looked like Hitler for two months. Very unsightly. Extremely painful. My whole body felt like it had been hit like a truck.

So, worst pain ever for me. Relatively speaking, though, kid stuff. I've been very lucky.
    I remember going into the hospital with back spasms. Hurt like hell. The nurse tells me that this is the closest I will come to experiencing childbirth. What I told her cannot be repeated on this forum.

Gainseville!! A true American Hero. Did you have time to think about it or was it all reaction?? I am a coward at heart, but I like to think that if I didn't have TOO much time to think about it I would do the right thing.

I've sprained my ankle a few times, broken a few bones, and stubbed many a toe on a table/ottoman. Sprained ankle wins by far. First is hurts, then it burns a bit, then it just hurts real bad for a few hours. I don't have a high pain tolerance, so it's probably a good thing that I've been serious injury free in my life (knock on wood).
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Those Jackass puds have nothing on RedsZone.

Toothaches and earaches don't sound like much, but those who have had them know the agony.

VP brought up child birth. This is the one subject I don't care to hear about. It totally chills me and "creeps" me out for some reason. I've killed/gutted several hundred animals and am assisting in dissecting an actual human being but that subject gives me the heebie-jeebies for some reason.

Guess I won't be around for my first born's arrival, eh?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Worst pain I ever felt was when my first wife told me she didn't love me any more.

The current Mrs. Tucker gave birth to all 3 of our children without any kind of pain-killers. She doesn't like needles or drugs. After the first one was born, I said "look, I've seen what its like, it's really OK if you take something for the pain". She said "nope". She said its really not that bad.

Pay attention to the open sky

Worst physical pain: 3 broken ribs during an intramural football game in college. But that's not the bad part. Went to the hospital and got taped up. Got back to the apartment and about an hour later, sneezed hard and blew them back out again. That sucked.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Worst pain I ever felt was when my first wife told me she didn't love me any more.

The current Mrs. Tucker gave birth to all 3 of our children without any kind of pain-killers. She doesn't like needles or drugs. After the first one was born, I said "look, I've seen what its like, it's really OK if you take something for the pain". She said "nope". She said its really not that bad.
    That may have been her experience, but I'm willing to bed a lot of angry mothers would speak to different experience (including my own -- 30 hours of labor with a very stubborn baby).

You've seen the size of your babies, and you've seen the size of what they come out of. They don't really line up so well.

My understanding of a lot (not all) women's labor is that the only thing that makes it bearable, and in retrospect not the worst thing ever, is that you get a baby at the end.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 02-06-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Worst metaphysical pain, end of first love.

Worst physical pain - Broke my ankle and didn't get it set for 3 days, on day three smacked it on the base of the toilet and well.....

Also root canal nerve was touched... short and nasty, an awesome electrical shock surged through my body.

My wife said that the great thing about childbirth is that, although the pain is absolutely excruciating, it's like you completely forget about it the moment it's over. She credits this rather cruel amnesia as the reason that any woman has ever chosen to give birth to more than one child.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I think the worst pain I ever experienced was the morning after shoulder surgery. I remember thinking that this must be what it feels like to get shot with a 12 gauge.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?