Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami Heat discussing Shaq for Shawn Marion trade with Phoenix Suns

Miami Heat discussing Shaq for Shawn Marion trade with Phoenix Suns

This seems like a trade horribly lopsided in favor of the Heat...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miami Heat discussing Shaq for Shawn Marion trade with Phoenix Suns

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    This seems like a trade horribly lopsided in favor of the Heat...
    I agree that on paper this seems to be a great deal for Miami, if they couldn't or wouldn't want to resign Marion, they would have a ton of cap space to go after a very good upcoming FA class.

I just can't see Shaq making a huge difference in the playoffs for Phoenix. It would be a helluva combo to have Shaq and Amare playing on the front line. I just don't think Shaq could play in that system and be able to keep up with Nash and the rest of them.

The Gasol trade could make a lot of the western teams desperate enough to make trades like this.

It would be entertaining to see Kobe and Shaq potentially at each others throats again, wouldn't it.

I think that would be a good deal for the Suns, too. Shaq would become a role player, not a top weapon. Put him opposite Amare, with the spacing of that offense, and who does the defense guard?

Barbosa is ready to step up and fill the majority of Marion's role.

This won't happen. Shaq always gets hurt, is it worth the risk?

I love that the Heat are finally giving up on Shaq. Shaq does nothing but put butts in the seats for the Heat. He's not the player he was, and he can't be that go-to guy he usto be. For Shaq's sake I hope this deal gets done. He deserves it. He defenitly doesn't deserve to be on this horrible team.

Something else I was thinking about was his weight. Does anybody else think he might try to get in better shape if he knew it would be for a good cause? I don't see where he would get motivation on this team.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I think that would be a good deal for the Suns, too. Shaq would become a role player, not a top weapon. Put him opposite Amare, with the spacing of that offense, and who does the defense guard?

Barbosa is ready to step up and fill the majority of Marion's role.
    I have no idea how this would help the Suns. Why would they want to throw a player into the mix that is completely different from the type of game that they play? To use Shaq effectively the Suns would have to slow the game down, which wouldn't make much sense for them.

Barbosa doesn't play any where near Marion's position. Barbosa backs up Nash. Marion plays the 3 or 4 spot and grabs 9 boards a game and blocks a couple shots a game, Barbosa can't fill that role.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

[PShaq always gets hurtHP][/PHP]

Not only that, with Marion gone, you're banking on Grant Hill's health. Not a good idea.

This underscores just what a horrible idea it was to essentially give away Kurt Thomas and several first round picks , just to avoid paying luxury taxes. Sarver talks out of both sides of his mouth, suggesting that they go for it now, then insisting on the awful Thomas deal while selling first round picks the past two years--robbing the team of needed depth. You cannot win a championship without depth in an up-tempo system, and the Suns cannot win it all without Marion--He's that valuable.

If they need help up front, the man they need is--don't laugh--Jeff Foster. The man out-performs Ben Wallace for far less $$$ Skinner, more expiring contact filler and a 1st round pick doesn't seem too high a price to pay, and you get to keep Marion.

Id crack up if the Suns finally make it to the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I have no idea how this would help the Suns. Why would they want to throw a player into the mix that is completely different from the type of game that they play?
    Because the way they play now isn't going to win an NBA title. Inside play and defense are what wins. The Suns don't play defense, and they rely too much on the perimeter shot. Adding Shaq gives you a quality post player to put along side Amare, and one that still can be a force in the paint on both ends of the floor at times.

The Suns will be a much more diverse basketball team by adding Shaq. Even 2008 Shaq. They can still run you to the tune of 120 if needed, but they will also have the depth inside to bang with the Spurs/Pistons/Lakers/Celtics.

Of course Barbosa won't fill Marion's role to a "T", but he is more than capable of taking his minutes in the rotation. At it will work, because a slower pace will allow Nash to increase his minutes once the post season begins.

Keep in mind that the decline in Shaq's game is coinciding with an ugly divorce. Maybe getting away to Phoenix will allow him to clear his head and regain a lot of his attitude on the floor. I think the missing attitude is effecting his game more than the knees at this point. He'll rest the knees and be ready for the playoffs. He needs to find the fire again.

Assuming he passes the physical he's supposedly taking tomorrow and the deal goes through.

So you are saying that by taking away their best defensive player and adding Shaq the Suns will now become a good defensive team? I just don't see how removing Marion and adding Shaq suddenly makes them a slow it down, grind it out, defensive team. Maybe the Suns FO does, although I think they traded Marion because he's been wanting out and they thought this was the best they could do.

Barbosa is already playing around 30 mins a game and shooting as much as Marion, I don't see how he can step up much more.

Shaq's game is also coinciding with the fact that he's 36 years old and not getting skinnier. I think Shaq could help the Suns at times during games, but he would have helped a whole lot more if they could have picked him up while keeping Marion, not for Marion. Marion's one of the most talented players in the NBA, I don't see how giving him up for Shaq makes the Suns better. Which kinda sucks because I'd like to see Nash get a Championship.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

A combination of Derrick Rose/OJ Mayo, Dwayne Wade, and Shawn Marion next year would be intriguing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This is from rotoworld.com this morning...

"Reports broke early Wednesday morning that Shaquille O'Neal is on his way to Phoenix to take a physical today, and will be traded to the Suns for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks if he is medically cleared.
    That could be a big 'if' given the state of his hip, but it sounds like this improbable trade is very close to being completed. Miami is also believed to want Marion to sign off on the deal beforehand. Fantasy ramifications could include Boris Diaw becoming relevant again, starting in Marion's spot, while Amare Stoudemire's points, blocks and rebounds could take a slight hit if Shaq is healthy enough to play heavy minutes for Phoenix. The Suns don't run a five-man fast break, so the theory is that Shaq will not slow them down. It's also possible that Banks could earn significant minutes from Pat Riley in Miami. Stay tuned."

I don't understand this at all. Shaq is going to be run ragged on that team, assuming he's healthy enough to take the court at all. It would be one thing if they had gotten Kirilenko or some other athletic big to fill the lane and grab boards. Are they expecting Shaq to start the fast break off the boards and then just stand and watch while he rests his ankles, knees, and hips?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    A combination of Derrick Rose/OJ Mayo, Dwayne Wade, and Shawn Marion next year would be intriguing.
    If the Heat got lucky and won the NBA lottery, they would select Michael Beasley. If they could resign Marion, you'd have a nice set of 3 to begin the rebuild in Wade, Marion, and Beasley.

Turn Off Ads?