Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Goals

Long Term Goals

I have many long-term goals for this team. I feel that there are certain things this organization must do to capitalize on this abundance of young talent. This is a team that hasn't had much success recently with developing players, and they finally got some good young guys all the way to the majors without injury.

My Goals:
    1. Lock up Dunn
    This should be obdvious. He's the centerpiece of this team right now. He would be a middle of the order bat on any MLB team.

2. Continue the patience
    The Reds have been patient in not rushing the youngsters so far. We have got to continue this. If that means another sub .500 season, then so be it. I don't want to do like the Cubs did, and risk the long-term future for one season.

3. Fill up the bench
    We need a righty with some power off the bench. As a matter of fact, we need more than that. We also need more speed, because Freel's likely to get hurt at sometime next season.

4. Plan ahead
    Don't wait until the last minute, and realize that we may lose Bailey, Bruce, or any of this young talent. Have backup plans if we do. If they are truely the future of this organization, we will find some way to keep them.

So with my goals being said, what are your long term goals?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Long Term Goals

My Goals:

1. Give less long term deals to players unless its buying out arbitration years. How many times have we regretted signings over the years.

2. Continue to try to find reclamation projects. Low risk high reward and best of all it doesnt cost much in terms of talent.

3. Continue with the marketing ploys and trying to expand the fan base. More fans = more money and more money = never a bad thing.

4. Lower Beer prices.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I have many long-term goals for this team. I feel that there are certain things this organization must do to capitalize on this abundance of young talent. This is a team that hasn't had much success recently with developing players, and they finally got some good young guys all the way to the majors without injury.

My Goals:
    1. Lock up Dunn
    This should be obdvious. He's the centerpiece of this team right now. He would be a middle of the order bat on any MLB team.

2. Continue the patience
    The Reds have been patient in not rushing the youngsters so far. We have got to continue this. If that means another sub .500 season, then so be it. I don't want to do like the Cubs did, and risk the long-term future for one season.

3. Fill up the bench
    We need a righty with some power off the bench. As a matter of fact, we need more than that. We also need more speed, because Freel's likely to get hurt at sometime next season.

4. Plan ahead
    Don't wait until the last minute, and realize that we may lose Bailey, Bruce, or any of this young talent. Have backup plans if we do. If they are truely the future of this organization, we will find some way to keep them.

So with my goals being said, what are your long term goals?
    Totally agree with you on Dunn. We need to lock up what talent we have and yes filling our bench with players that can get us out of a pinch would be awesome.

amen to the lower beer prices, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    My Goals:

1. Give less long term deals to players unless its buying out arbitration years. How many times have we regretted signings over the years.

2. Continue to try to find reclamation projects. Low risk high reward and best of all it doesnt cost much in terms of talent.

3. Continue with the marketing ploys and trying to expand the fan base. More fans = more money and more money = never a bad thing.

4. Lower Beer prices.

I agree with 3 & 4, but not on 1 & 2. Isn't the idea of having more money being able to sign better players or keep the good players you already have? With the way free agency is set up and with the way players are being paid, only long term contracts will attract the players that other wise wouldn't come to Cincinnati.

I really don't remember any long-term signings that the Reds have truly regretted... Milton sucked but he was only here for 3 years. I think the key is not overpaying for mediocre players or players that are passed their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I agree with 3 & 4, but not on 1 & 2. Isn't the idea of having more money being able to sign better players or keep the good players you already have? With the way free agency is set up and with the way players are being paid, only long term contracts will attract the players that other wise wouldn't come to Cincinnati.

I really don't remember any long-term signings that the Reds have truly regretted... Milton sucked but he was only here for 3 years. I think the key is not overpaying for mediocre players or players that are passed their prime.
    I regret them signing Griffey longterm. Now it's gonna take a boatload to buyout his deal next year.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post

Lets put it this way what long term deal has worked out for the Reds in recent years?

I say less long term deals, that doesnt mean zero at all.

Depends on what you call "long term". 3 years or over? I've LOVED all the deals the new FO has signed:

Dunn, 3 years $30.5M (including option year)
    Harang, 4 years $36.5 + 5th year $12.75M option
    Gonzo, 3 years $14M + $6M mutual option
    Arroyo, 2 years $25M (includes $2.5M bonus) + 3rd year (2011, same as Harang) option for $11M
    Cordero, 4 years $46M + 5th year $12M option

It's actually the SHORT TERM (under 3) deals that I HATE - given guaranteed money to fringe/unproven players:

Stanton, 2 years $7M, with a third year that can vest for $2.5M
    Freel, 2 years $7M
    Ross, 2 years $4.5M + option for 3rd at $3.5M
    Castro, 2 years $2M (05-06+07 option), 07 was buyout for $50K, and INSTEAD they signed him to a new contract in 07 for 2 yrs $2M + option for 09 at $1.1M

Talk about wastes of space, that money could have been spent better. Arguably, only Ross is worth anything, but his hitting was a one-year wonder, so we're stuck with paying him $2.25M in 08 for defense and a HOPE.

I'd rather be taking fliers on those reclamation projects and scrap-heap pitchers with that cash.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Id consider 2 year deals for bench and older players long term deals.

Anything long term deals for starters that are going to pass the age of 34 during the course of the deal scares me.

Of course its not a rule just a guideline.

Id consider 2 year deals for bench and older players long term deals.

Anything long term deals for starters that are going to pass the age of 34 during the course of the deal scares me.

Of course its not a rule just a guideline.
    I'll buy that.

I like your ideas, especially the "marketing ploys" for getting fans to the park. I have always thought "Winning More Games Than You Lose" was a good marketing ploy

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I'll buy that.

I like your ideas, especially the "marketing ploys" for getting fans to the park. I have always thought "Winning More Games Than You Lose" was a good marketing ploy

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Its not so much just winning more games its expanding the fan base in general. Farther we reach out from the Cincy/tri-state area the better. Sure some of that comes with winning but areas like northern Ohio, western and northern Indiana and parts of Kentucky will need extra work than just winning.

Its not so much just winning more games its expanding the fan base in general. Farther we reach out from the Cincy/tri-state area the better. Sure some of that comes with winning but areas like northern Ohio, western and northern Indiana and parts of Kentucky will need extra work than just winning.
    Agreed. They're also going to need a lot more than "bring your dog to the ballpark" to get people to drive in. Even dogs don't like to watch free bad baseball.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I regret them signing Griffey longterm. Now it's gonna take a boatload to buyout his deal next year.

I know he's missed a lot of time, but without Jr the Reds would probably be where Pittsburgh and KC are now. His HR milestones and his play the past few seasons have given Reds fans a reason to go to the ballpark. He is still a draw, he does tons for the kids, and he's still the most popular Red. No, Griffey being a Red hasn't translated to many W's. But I don't think Uncle Carl would have put Griffey's contract money towards making this team competitive. And if it takes a boatload to buyout his contract next season, so be it. Castellini has the money and if the Reds win this season it won't be an issue.

@ 8.5 Mil for his 2007 production he was a bargain. The fact that he was so cheap in 2007 and there was not a rumor of him being traded @ deadline to contender that could use him, leads me to believe you won't be buying out his contract, that it is more likely some type of renegotiation takes place and he's extend so he can retire as a Red.

Girffey and Larkins money caused more harm to this team than it did good for sure.

Turn Off Ads?