Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: Long Term Goals

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Long Term Goals

    $4M = boatload?!?!? Hardly. Not for Griff. I imagine we will also try to trade him - to an AL team that could use him as a DH.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Griffey would have to put up some career season numbers for me to pick up that option.

  4. #18
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Girffey and Larkins money caused more harm to this team than it did good for sure.

    That's because the rest of the personel was handled so poorly. The Reds signed 2 players for their fair market value (maybe a little more for BL) and they tried to cut back in other areas. The Reds payroll when they moved into the new ballpark was nearly the same as it was in 1995. Linder didn't care about winning, he cared about making money. He knew that Jr and Larkin put butts in the seats... He never made an attempt to improve the team in other areas. The Reds were never strapped for cash, and with revenue sharing and the new TV/radio deals they have more money than ever. The only harm Larkin and Griffey's money did was it gave Reds ownership an excuse (even with a new ballpark) to not go out and spend money.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Still doesnt change that with out Griffey and Larkin we could have had a better team while being cheaper.

  6. #20
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Still doesnt change that with out Griffey and Larkin we could have had a better team while being cheaper.

    Who was better? Who was cheaper? The Reds wouldn't have signed anybody with their money. I don't see anyway the Reds, even as bad as they wer, would have been better without these two players. They would have signed scrap heap players and placed the blame on the fans for not showing up and supporting the Reds.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Who was better? Who was cheaper? The Reds wouldn't have signed anybody with their money. I don't see anyway the Reds, even as bad as they wer, would have been better without these two players. They would have signed scrap heap players and placed the blame on the fans for not showing up and supporting the Reds.
    You are forgetting they were injured pretty much the whole time. Its not like they were putting up complete seasons.

  8. #22
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: Long Term Goals

    I realize they were injured, but who's to say that their replacements would not have been hurt? I will give you that Larkin should not have been signed to that contract. That was a Sean Casey situation, only Dave O. did the right thing and moved the mayor before he declined anymore. Griffey was still in his prime and had some terrible luck, but Griffey should have been moved after the 2006 season. He was mostly healthy and showed his bat was still dangerous. But I still insist that trading/signing Griffey was not even close to a bad move, nor do I regret the Reds making that move. Milton, Cormier, Stanton, Castro, Freel's extension are bad signing's, KGJ was not.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I realize they were injured, but who's to say that their replacements would not have been hurt? I will give you that Larkin should not have been signed to that contract. That was a Sean Casey situation, only Dave O. did the right thing and moved the mayor before he declined anymore. Griffey was still in his prime and had some terrible luck, but Griffey should have been moved after the 2006 season. He was mostly healthy and showed his bat was still dangerous. But I still insist that trading/signing Griffey was not even close to a bad move, nor do I regret the Reds making that move. Milton, Cormier, Stanton, Castro, Freel's extension are bad signing's, KGJ was not.
    Griffey if healthy was a good move but giving any player that big of a contract for that many years leaves you open to a lot of bad scenarios.

    Look at the big long term deals in baseball over the years. Not many have worked out.

  10. #24
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Long Term Goals

    The Griffey deal has not been even close to the problem holding this franchise back the last 15 years or so. As Nasty said too many horrible deals like the guys he listed cost this franchise far more than Junior has.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The Griffey deal has not been even close to the problem holding this franchise back the last 15 years or so. As Nasty said too many horrible deals like the guys he listed cost this franchise far more than Junior has.
    Junior makes more than those guys combined.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fan Chris View Post
    Totally agree with you on Dunn. We need to lock up what talent we have and yes filling our bench with players that can get us out of a pinch would be awesome.
    For a team like the Reds, who don't have boatloads of money to spend, locking up Dunn long term is not the best of ideas IMO. He is one of the best power hitters in baseball, there is no doubt. But for the money you would pay him, you are basically making him the centerpiece of the franchise. He doesn't have the all around game to justify making more money than anyone else on the ballclub.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Liberty Township
    Posts
    164

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Junior makes more than those guys combined.
    Milton made about 2 mil more than KGJ last year.

    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/b...er=Salary+desc

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by RSNtransplant View Post
    Milton made about 2 mil more than KGJ last year.

    http://content.usatoday.com/sports/b...er=Salary+desc
    I didnt see Miltons in the post . I wouldnt have said he made more if I did.

  15. #29
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: Long Term Goals

    Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    For a team like the Reds, who don't have boatloads of money to spend, locking up Dunn long term is not the best of ideas IMO. He is one of the best power hitters in baseball, there is no doubt. But for the money you would pay him, you are basically making him the centerpiece of the franchise. He doesn't have the all around game to justify making more money than anyone else on the ballclub.

    I know its tough to change people's way of thinking, but the Reds HAVE money! We are used to the old ownership talking about not having the money to spend on players while they continued to finish in the black every year. Now the Reds don't have the money to throw 5 mil at Stanton, 9 mil at Freel, and other marginal player's but the Reds have plenty of money to give their best offensive player. I would love to see the Reds sign Dunn for 3-4 years 50-60 million. A guy like Dunn should be the face of your franchise. He's homegrown, he's well like by teammates, he's not a trouble maker, he plays everyday, and he could end up hitting 600+ HRs... I don't see the downside.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Long Term Goals

    I dont think resigning Dunn is a bad idea but you have to see that he doesnt have much shelf life left after his next deal. Anything more than 5 years for Dunn doesnt seem like a good idea.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25