Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Long Term Goals

Re: Long Term Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Oh I doubt that very much. Dunn could put up good numbers as a DH though.
    Well, maybe I should have been more specific. He could put up similar power numbers to Ortiz.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Well, maybe I should have been more specific. He could put up similar power numbers to Ortiz.
    I think he would put up the same numbers he is putting up now honestly. Nothing really similar to Ortiz at all. Ortiz is a whole different beast.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Please define one dimensional, I would love to hear this.
    As you wish...

Adam Dunn offers you nothing from a defensive standpoint in the OF. The Reds know this, which is why they have tried to move him to 1B. Offensively, his game revolves around his ability to hit homers. He offers you little speed and after 7 seasons still has not shown the ability to put the bat on the ball on a consistent basis. He has prodigious power and is someone I definitely think would be a nice complement player but his overall game is about his power. You don't build a winning team with a limited payroll around a player like that.

I would argue his game revolves around his ability to not make outs. His game is not just the long ball. The guy will walk 100 times a year, score a 100 times a year, and drive 100 runs in a year. He will play in 160 games a year and even though he is unfairly torn apart by everyone in this town from Marty to every casual fan he keeps his mouth shut and plays everyday. The guy has done nothing but come across as a class act sounds to me like exactly the guy you build a franchise about. And can we please quit with this limited payroll crap, this isnt your 1999 Reds. Bob will spend whatever it takes to win as long as he can break even.

I think people overly defend Dunn just as much as people unfairly bash him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I think people overly defend Dunn just as much as people unfairly bash him.
    What do people say to overly defend Dunn?

What do people say to overly defend Dunn?
    When anyone bring up his flaws people like to point out his positives. It goes both ways. Hes a polarizing player.

My original point is that there is a difference between pointing out his positives and negatives and then going over board. The things that are said by Marty and way too many fans. "He is simply not a productive player" - Marty Brennamen. Come on, what kind of crap is that? The people that think he is the worst LF in baseball. The people that think he strikes out too much to be a good player.

I admit Dunn has his faults as a player, but if this team is 10 games out going into June, it will not be Dunn's fault but you can bet he will be the one taking the bulk of the blame.

My original point is that there is a difference between pointing out his positives and negatives and then going over board. The things that are said by Marty and way too many fans. "He is simply not a productive player" - Marty Brennamen. Come on, what kind of crap is that? The people that think he is the worst LF in baseball. The people that think he strikes out too much to be a good player.

I admit Dunn has his faults as a player, but if this team is 10 games out going into June, it will not be Dunn's fault but you can bet he will be the one taking the bulk of the blame.
    Well its always going to be easier to bash a player and not listen to the counter argument.

I think the point to be made about Dunn is that he is the Reds only consistent productive player. Yet when the starters and bullpen combine for a 5+ ERA he is the player people love to bash. He is a home grown talent and people treat him like A-Rod in New York... "The Reds suck! It must be Dunn's strikeouts!"

I am excited to see Jay Bruce turn into a great player, but I'm worried that he will never live up to people's expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I think the point to be made about Dunn is that he is the Reds only consistent productive player. Yet when the starters and bullpen combine for a 5+ ERA he is the player people love to bash. He is a home grown talent and people treat him like A-Rod in New York... "The Reds suck! It must be Dunn's strikeouts!"

I am excited to see Jay Bruce turn into a great player, but I'm worried that he will never live up to people's expectations.
    I think the treatment Dunn and some other Reds get is part of the culture here in Cincinnati. I think kbrake is right and that it starts with announcers, like Marty Brennamen and local sports talk guys on AM radio. It seems there are definitely some circles where a HOF announcer can do no wrong, yet needlessly bash a player during the Winter Carrivan. While the local radio host do nothing original or creative besides inflame the listeners for ratings. I cannot even listen to the local radio sports programming b/c it is so bad and as there is little to no TV broadcast baseball in the area, I can thank Marty for being equally annoying to listen too, driving me to buy season tickets. Despite the occasional drunk in the stands the game is far more enjoyable outside the Cincinnati media's sphere of influence.

I would argue his game revolves around his ability to not make outs. His game is not just the long ball. The guy will walk 100 times a year, score a 100 times a year, and drive 100 runs in a year. He will play in 160 games a year and even though he is unfairly torn apart by everyone in this town from Marty to every casual fan he keeps his mouth shut and plays everyday. The guy has done nothing but come across as a class act sounds to me like exactly the guy you build a franchise about. And can we please quit with this limited payroll crap, this isnt your 1999 Reds. Bob will spend whatever it takes to win as long as he can break even.
    You know the archives on this board are full of the Adam Dunn arguments. I would suggest looking through them. Having been a part of quite a few, I just don't see the need to rehash it. I'm tired of it. People on both sides have their opinions that deserved to be respected and I'll just let it go at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    You know the archives on this board are full of the Adam Dunn arguments. I would suggest looking through them. Having been a part of quite a few, I just don't see the need to rehash it. I'm tired of it. People on both sides have their opinions that deserved to be respected and I'll just let it go at that.
    Fair enough and that is something we can agree on for sure.

Turn Off Ads?