Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Mallett to Petition NCAA to Allow Him to Play Next Year

Ryan Mallett to Petition NCAA to Allow Him to Play Next Year

I hope he wins. While I agree that, in general, transfer athletes should have to sit out a year to avoid the "free agent" mess it would create without the rule, I do think exceptions such as this should be allowed. Mallett went to Michigan with a set of reasonable expectations only to have Carr retire and have them bring in a coach completely wrong for his development. He had no control over it. He shouldn't be penalized.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3232753

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas will ask the NCAA to allow transfer quarterback Ryan Mallett to play immediately for the Razorbacks without sitting out a year.

Mallett transferred from Michigan after Rich Rodriguez replaced retiring coach Lloyd Carr.

"After visiting with Ryan and his parents, we feel that it is appropriate to file a waiver in this case based on extenuating circumstances," Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long said in a release. "While the outcome of the waiver request is uncertain, we feel strongly that as an institution we should offer our full support to Ryan and his family in this process."

When contacted by The Associated Press, a school spokesman would not elaborate on what Long meant by "extenuating circumstances."

Mallett's father, Jim Mallett, told ESPN's Joe Schad he believes his son's pending appeal to the NCAA for immediate eligibility could be landmark case.

"I know the NCAA has never really ruled on this one before," Jim Mallett said from his Arkansas home on Tuesday night. "But at some time I suppose they would have to."

The Malletts' claim to the NCAA is simple. He should not be punished because an incoming coach runs a system which does not fit his pocket-passing style.

The 6-foot-7 Mallett, who played in 11 games for the Wolverines last year, has three years of eligibility remaining. Mallett appears well suited to a pro-style offense, but Rodriguez's offense works well with a more mobile quarterback.

"We knew as soon as Rodriguez was hired it was obvious there would be a problem," Jim Mallett told Schad. "He would not fit into the coaches' spread offense. Now, is this something Ryan had control over? No. Now for him to sit out 18 months because of it would be tough. So we're asking the NCAA to examine the particulars of this case."

Jim Mallett said he understands that across-board provisions alllowing any athlete to transfer without cause and play immediately would be problematic.

"Then, of course, you do have a circumstance where a player would follow a coach," he told Schad. "But this is different. Lloyd Carr retired and we loved Lloyd Carr. Ryan left not because he wanted to, but because he needed to. He deserves a chance to play. And we're anxious to hear what the NCAA thinks."

Mallett was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions last season while filling in for Chad Henne when the senior was injured.

Mallett went to high school on the Texas side of Texarkana, but lived on the Arkansas side.

Information from ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Mallett to Petition NCAA to Allow Him to Play Next Year

I agree with you MWM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I give him odds of slim to none.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I give him odds of slim to none.
    Me too, although I think they should let him play. But this is the NCAA we're talking about.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

He figures playing next year is his only shot at getting to play for Bobby Petrino...

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    He figures playing next year is his only shot at getting to play for Bobby Petrino...

What about the following year?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I completly disagree with allowing him to play next season. Sure he got screwed but it was his decision to leave. It still boiles down to the fact that he is a student athlete. Apparently academics was not a factor in his decision to leave and head down to Arkansas. He knew the transfer rules when he droped out of class and transfered to Arkansas, why should they change the rules because he feels that he has been short changed?

After seeing him play a few times last season, the whole SEC should join in on his petition and insist he not only be allowed to play next year but start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I completely support that any student-athlete who has a coach leave should be able to transfer without having to sit-out, providing he does not follow that coach to his new job, if that is the case.

I am sure there still may be some way to abuse so an allowance, but IMO it seems to hurt more kids who truly commit to a school (and are in part sold on the school by the coach) due to the coach's presence, personality, style, values, etc.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

lol

That was gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

They've given some athletes a 6th year of eligibility b/c of injury handled in a case by case basis.

They should give transfering athletes a chance to play immediately in a case by case basis.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Although I sympathize with the player, I'm sure athletic directors fear the slippery slope if this is allowed to happen. Making it easier for star players to abandon ship every time a coaching change happens will greatly complicate the decisions to hire and fire. ADs might even have to involve their stars in some of those decisions! Since there will be more athletic directors than former athletes on the committee making the decision, it's not hard to predict the outcome here.
    /r/reds

There's nothing at all about Mallett's case that's any different from the dozens and dozens of other players who transfer and have to sit out a year. Why he thinks he should be granted special treatment is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    There's nothing at all about Mallett's case that's any different from the dozens and dozens of other players who transfer and have to sit out a year. Why he thinks he should be granted special treatment is beyond me.

It could be that he's the guinea pig in a test case to get the NCAA to change their rules about this. Plus it can't hurt to ask. Before Spencer Haywood decided to go pro, athletes had to stay 4 years in college. Perhaps Mallett doesn't think it's going to happen for him but if he's successful, he can set a precedent for others.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?