Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What circumstances, IF ANY, would lead you to pick up Ken Griffey Junior's '09 option

What circumstances, IF ANY, would lead you to pick up Ken Griffey Junior's '09 option

Is there anything that could occur this season that would lead you to decide that picking up Junior's '09 option would be the right move?

A Dunn trade is an obvious reason...

Performance wise, could Junior convince you to keep him around for 2009?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What circumstances, IF ANY, would lead you to pick up Ken Griffey Junior's '09 op

If his current marriage didn't work out, he quickly remarried Jessica Biel, she dresses skimpily, and takes over for the bat boys. Hell, I'd try to sign him to a cheap 2010 contract.

Re: What circumstances, IF ANY, would lead you to pick up Ken Griffey Junior's '09 op

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    If his current marriage didn't work out, he quickly remarried Jessica Biel, she dresses skimpily, and takes over for the bat boys. Hell, I'd try to sign him to a cheap 2010 contract.
    Hahahahahahahahaha....

smartass.

Griffey's negative defensive value completely torpedoes his overall value to the team. Outside of a .300/.400/.600 type season offensively would make me consider exercising that option.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I suppose if he has a monster season and leads the Reds to the playoffs it would be tough from a PR standpoint to not pick up the option. Also, with a huge season he could be closing in on Willie Mays and possibly 700 in 2009. If Jr. hits even .275 with 40-45 homers and 120 RBI's it would be tough to not pick it up with his popularity in this town.

However, if he has an average year (even if injury free) and the Reds disappoint I probably couldn't justify keeping him.

If his season is productive and he's willing to move to LF/1B (assuming Votto could be traded for pitching and Dunn would move to 1B or Griffey move there), I'd consider it. That's a lot of ifs though.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Is there anything that could occur this season that would lead you to decide that picking up Junior's '09 option would be the right move?

A Dunn trade is an obvious reason...

Performance wise, could Junior convince you to keep him around for 2009?
    NONE, Zero, Zilch! His hitting is only part of the equation and I believe the bottom has already begun to fall out of it. So there is nothing that would make me believe he is even capable of it this season, let alone the following season. I may not even believe it if I do see it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If his season is productive and he's willing to move to LF/1B (assuming Votto could be traded for pitching and Dunn would move to 1B or Griffey move there), I'd consider it. That's a lot of ifs though.
    Griffey to 1B is the only way I'd remotely think about picking up his option.

And we'd have to get some serious pitching in a package involving Joey Votto.

I'm not sure which one would come first in my book, the chicken (Griffey to 1B) or the egg (Votto traded for good pitching), but they'd both have to happen.

At this stage of his career, I prefer Dunn in LF over the adventure that could be KGJ in LF.

If he goes 40/120 this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Win the triple crown, otherwise 16.5 million is a lot of cash for one player.
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

If he developed a wicked slider?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    LMAO, Bcubb, you're awful.

I don't see picking up his option as a realistic option, regardless of what he does this season...who are the available replacements that can deliver his numbers or close to them for less than what his option is?

Who do we have in house and who will be hitting the FA market?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Knuckleball!
    Go Gators!

if the Reds traded Josh H...oh, wait.

There isn't a way that I could see the Reds picking up the option. Maybe if he lead the team in a World Championship and won the MVP. Those are some long odds.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?