Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List your biggest concerns, in descending order, heading into the season

Re: List your biggest concerns, in descending order, heading into the season

Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching
    Agreed, but I would also add:

Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching

The defense. They were terrible last year and the year before that and the year before that.

With a young pitching staff ya need a good defense --it gives them artificial security in going after the hitters and throwing strikes. They need to attempt to address their defensive problems and to do that you got to have some young legs going after the baseball in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Pitching

I'm worried we don't have enough of it.

No one ever does.

I have to say I'm worried most about the starting rotation. Especially if Harang and/or Arroyo miss significant time with injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Defense (particularly outfield)
    Starting pitching (particularly the young arms)
    Dusty's handling of the young arms
    Vulnerability against LH pitching
    Bullpen
    Krivsky trying to fix the bullpen again
    Farney

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Agreed, but I would also add:

Pitching
    Pitching
    Pitching

You forgot pitching.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Defense/starting depth
    Griffey's offense
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

1. Protecting valuable and young arms. This means Harang. This means Arroyo. This means Belisle. This means Bailey. This means Volquez. This means Cueto. This means any pitcher who has any potential at all to develop into a worthwhile pitcher not only in 2008, but in 2009 and beyond.

I've heard many people point to 2009 as being the year and implying that 2008 is a sort of stepping stone into being a playoff and World Series contender. On some degree, I agree with that. But more importantly, you can't actually achieve your goal of being a playoff and World Series contender in 2008, 2009, or any year if your manager destroys your pitching staff with irresponsible decisions.

2. Playing the young position players on a regular basis who deserve to play. This means giving Joey Votto 95 percent of the PAs against right-handers. This means if Jay Bruce is the best center fielder on the big league team by June or July, then he better be playing regularly.

3. Having the best 25 man roster head north with the club. This starts with telling Castro, Stanton, and Majewski to get the hell out. And if someone else assumes the role of the next Castro, the next Stanton, or the next Majewski, this means telling them to get the hell out.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?