Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79

Thread: Bought a House

  1. #1
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,001

    Bought a House

    Found out tonight that the offer (2nd) my fiance and I made on a house was accepted. It will be my first house (not hers) - It's a pretty good felling and kinda of scary at the same time.

    I have been married and divorced and engaged again and have been raising a son. I am in a senior leadership position in my employment.

    So why does buying a house seem so much more "grown up" than anything else?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,786

    Re: Bought a House

    Congratulations!


    80 MPH winds a few hours ago destroyed my brick chimney. Tonight I wish I was a renter.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Bought a House

    Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Found out tonight that the offer (2nd) my fiance and I made on a house was accepted. It will be my first house (not hers) - It's a pretty good felling and kinda of scary at the same time.

    I have been married and divorced and engaged again and have been raising a son. I am in a senior leadership position in my employment.

    So why does buying a house seem so much more "grown up" than anything else?
    Because it take a lot more of a commitment than any of the other things you listed.

  5. #4
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,880

    Re: Bought a House

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Because it take a lot more of a commitment than any of the other things you listed.
    Not to me. There is no bigger commitment on this earth than having kids and being married. IMO, of course.

    Houses? It's just stuff. In fact, my career is infinitely more important to me commitment-wise than a house.

  6. #5
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,142

    Re: Bought a House

    Congratulations. Good Timing, too.
    Prices are decent and mortgage rates are relatively low.

    That said, just pay your monthy mortgage bill as if it were "rent" and don't fret over what the house is worth.

    You will enjoy the mortgage interest deduction on your taxes.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  7. #6
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: Bought a House

    Welcome to our side of the tax code.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  8. #7
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Bought a House

    I agree with FCB, that having kids and being married are far greater of a commitment than owning a house.

    That said, owning a home (or land, or condo) compared to renting an appartment is a far greater commitment. I don't know about "grown up" because far too many people act like children by buying a home they can't afford to keep up with the jones. Or by taking out a mortgage when they can never hope to make the monthly payments.

    But besides those dopes, owning a home is a big responsibility. There's upkeep, maintenance, and repairs. There's beautification like keeping the lawn mowed and planting flowers. There's making sure your home doesn't impact your neighbors home (i.e. keeping a big trash/compost pile 10' outside your neighbors master-bed room). There's understanding how levies and property taxes work and not voting in every last levy just because it sounds neat. There's understanding property values and making sure your decision today doesn't cost you thousands down the road.

    There's nothing wrong with apartment living, but it's a far lesser responsibility since all you really are responsible for is rent and keeping your place clean enough to keep the health department away. It's basically an extension of dorm life with nicer furniture and less 1/2 empty beer cans.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  9. #8
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,300

    Re: Bought a House

    My house is so old that it was 6 years old when the Cubs last won the World Series,

  10. #9
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,499

    Re: Bought a House

    Going to Home Depot / Lowes / Ace is now part of your routine every weekend.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Bought a House

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not to me. There is no bigger commitment on this earth than having kids and being married. IMO, of course.

    Houses? It's just stuff. In fact, my career is infinitely more important to me commitment-wise than a house.
    I didnt count the kid.

    Maybe commitment isnt the right word here but people tend to think more before buying a house than getting married.

  12. #11
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,123

    Re: Bought a House

    Congrats. My fiance and I bought a house this summer. It is quite a bit of work and I only live there part time. Luckily for me the house we bought was only 3 years old. How old is your house?

  13. #12
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: Bought a House

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My house is so old that it was 6 years old when the Cubs last won the World Series,
    I miss my old places. Had a bungalow in Cincinnati that was built in 1915. There are so many affordable great houses in Cincinnati. But by far, my favorite house is still the first one I owned in Raleigh:



    When we bought it the place was pretty much a wreck. If you follow this link there is a slide show of the house at the bottom of the page. You can see what we did with it (although this is a few owners later, the bones of the place still represent my work). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they have done much to keep the yard up. We had renovated it completely, in addition to fixing up the old shed and laying the patio.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  14. #13
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Bought a House

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Congrats. My fiance and I bought a house this summer. It is quite a bit of work and I only live there part time. Luckily for me the house we bought was only 3 years old. How old is your house?
    it is 2 years old and as a relocation sell so we ended up at a good price.

    I guess the feeling of "grown up" is because the others things, chief among them being a parent, have come very naturally for me. being a dad is far and away the most important thing but one I am comfortable with.

    a house is just something I never felt would be in my reach.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

  15. #14
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Bought a House

    congrats deltachi8!
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  16. #15
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Bought a House

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I miss my old places. Had a bungalow in Cincinnati that was built in 1915. There are so many affordable great houses in Cincinnati. But by far, my favorite house is still the first one I owned in Raleigh:



    When we bought it the place was pretty much a wreck. If you follow this link there is a slide show of the house at the bottom of the page. You can see what we did with it (although this is a few owners later, the bones of the place still represent my work). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they have done much to keep the yard up. We had renovated it completely, in addition to fixing up the old shed and laying the patio.
    That's a cool house Sundeck.

    My house is a 1911 Dutch Colonial with a big wrap around porch. The inside is similar to the one you had in raleigh.

    I love old houses.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25