Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a House

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Bought a House

Found out tonight that the offer (2nd) my fiance and I made on a house was accepted. It will be my first house (not hers) - It's a pretty good felling and kinda of scary at the same time.

I have been married and divorced and engaged again and have been raising a son. I am in a senior leadership position in my employment.

So why does buying a house seem so much more "grown up" than anything else?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bought a House

Congratulations!

80 MPH winds a few hours ago destroyed my brick chimney. Tonight I wish I was a renter.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Found out tonight that the offer (2nd) my fiance and I made on a house was accepted. It will be my first house (not hers) - It's a pretty good felling and kinda of scary at the same time.

I have been married and divorced and engaged again and have been raising a son. I am in a senior leadership position in my employment.

So why does buying a house seem so much more "grown up" than anything else?
    Because it take a lot more of a commitment than any of the other things you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Because it take a lot more of a commitment than any of the other things you listed.
    Not to me. There is no bigger commitment on this earth than having kids and being married. IMO, of course.

Houses? It's just stuff. In fact, my career is infinitely more important to me commitment-wise than a house.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Congratulations. Good Timing, too.
    Prices are decent and mortgage rates are relatively low.

That said, just pay your monthy mortgage bill as if it were "rent" and don't fret over what the house is worth.

You will enjoy the mortgage interest deduction on your taxes.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Welcome to our side of the tax code.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I agree with FCB, that having kids and being married are far greater of a commitment than owning a house.

That said, owning a home (or land, or condo) compared to renting an appartment is a far greater commitment. I don't know about "grown up" because far too many people act like children by buying a home they can't afford to keep up with the jones. Or by taking out a mortgage when they can never hope to make the monthly payments.

But besides those dopes, owning a home is a big responsibility. There's upkeep, maintenance, and repairs. There's beautification like keeping the lawn mowed and planting flowers. There's making sure your home doesn't impact your neighbors home (i.e. keeping a big trash/compost pile 10' outside your neighbors master-bed room). There's understanding how levies and property taxes work and not voting in every last levy just because it sounds neat. There's understanding property values and making sure your decision today doesn't cost you thousands down the road.

There's nothing wrong with apartment living, but it's a far lesser responsibility since all you really are responsible for is rent and keeping your place clean enough to keep the health department away. It's basically an extension of dorm life with nicer furniture and less 1/2 empty beer cans.

My house is so old that it was 6 years old when the Cubs last won the World Series,

Going to Home Depot / Lowes / Ace is now part of your routine every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not to me. There is no bigger commitment on this earth than having kids and being married. IMO, of course.

Houses? It's just stuff. In fact, my career is infinitely more important to me commitment-wise than a house.
    I didnt count the kid.

Maybe commitment isnt the right word here but people tend to think more before buying a house than getting married.

Congrats. My fiance and I bought a house this summer. It is quite a bit of work and I only live there part time. Luckily for me the house we bought was only 3 years old. How old is your house?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My house is so old that it was 6 years old when the Cubs last won the World Series,
    I miss my old places. Had a bungalow in Cincinnati that was built in 1915. There are so many affordable great houses in Cincinnati. But by far, my favorite house is still the first one I owned in Raleigh:

When we bought it the place was pretty much a wreck. If you follow this link there is a slide show of the house at the bottom of the page. You can see what we did with it (although this is a few owners later, the bones of the place still represent my work). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they have done much to keep the yard up. We had renovated it completely, in addition to fixing up the old shed and laying the patio.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Congrats. My fiance and I bought a house this summer. It is quite a bit of work and I only live there part time. Luckily for me the house we bought was only 3 years old. How old is your house?
    it is 2 years old and as a relocation sell so we ended up at a good price.

I guess the feeling of "grown up" is because the others things, chief among them being a parent, have come very naturally for me. being a dad is far and away the most important thing but one I am comfortable with.

a house is just something I never felt would be in my reach.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

congrats deltachi8!
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I miss my old places. Had a bungalow in Cincinnati that was built in 1915. There are so many affordable great houses in Cincinnati. But by far, my favorite house is still the first one I owned in Raleigh:

When we bought it the place was pretty much a wreck. If you follow this link there is a slide show of the house at the bottom of the page. You can see what we did with it (although this is a few owners later, the bones of the place still represent my work). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they have done much to keep the yard up. We had renovated it completely, in addition to fixing up the old shed and laying the patio.
    That's a cool house Sundeck.

My house is a 1911 Dutch Colonial with a big wrap around porch. The inside is similar to the one you had in raleigh.

I love old houses.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?