Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
Our system of government? Jones and Stewart lied to federal investigators. Clinton was charged with perjury for testimony given in a deposition as part of a trial. So far, the only statements we have a record of are those he's given to the media. Did he talk to federal investigators? Has he lied in a deposition? Do we even know what he has said to Congress yet? No.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, if he lies to Congress, I think he's charged with contempt of Congress, in which case it's referred to a US Attorney who takes it to a grand jury and the grand jury then charges him with perjury. But in the end, yes he can be charged with perjury, but I don't think the charges come directly from Congress itself. I could be wrong though, if it makes you feel any better.

In any case, that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post was that Federal Rules of Evidence to not apply to a Congressional Hearing because it's not a trial, it's an investigatory proceeding.

You obviously don't understand the situation. Let me explain it to you. First of all he has already given a deposition which was under oath. When he speaks to Congress he will raise his right hand and be sworn in under oath. So yes if you lie to them it is a federal offense called perjury. If you lie under oath it's perjury, as simple as that.