Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Reds are seriously pursuing Joe Blanton

Re: Paul Daugherty says Reds are seriously pursuing Joe Blanton

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    for Bruce, there isn't one. Simple as that.

Bailey and Cueto, its tough to determine honestly. I would fully expect someone though that is going to be under 10 million a year for the next 3 years and be able to give 180+ innings and roughly a 120 ERA+ in each of those years. Those pitchers aren't really available too often. However given the small amount of money that Bailey and Cueto will be making and how I think they can fare, they have tons of value.

Votto - I would trade him for a #3 pitcher like Arroyo without thinking twice about it. I like Votto, but I think he is much easier to replace, or come close to replacing than any of the other three players.

Would you do Votto and lesser prospects for Blanton?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

I've grown somewhat bullish on Votto, after seeing him in September. I'm not nearly as willing to just discard the guy as I once was. Guy looks like a good athlete with a really keen eye. Looks like another guy (EdE being another) who the FO has inexplicably deemed "flawed."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've grown somewhat bullish on Votto, after seeing him in September. I'm not nearly as willing to just discard the guy as I once was. Guy looks like a good athlete with a really keen eye. Looks like another guy (EdE being another) who the FO has inexplicably deemed "flawed."
    He looks like the real deal, doesn't he?

The whole "can't play defense thing" was baffling...

Votto - I would trade him for a #3 pitcher like Arroyo without thinking twice about it. I like Votto, but I think he is much easier to replace, or come close to replacing than any of the other three players.
    Yeah and that's my real beef with the Votto talk - make someone pay for him. Don't just give him away for a #4-5 arm, or 4.5 era type. Got plenty of those here already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Would you do Votto and lesser prospects for Blanton?
    No. I wouldn't trade Votto for Blanton. I think he would have serious issues posting a sub 4.50 ERA in Cincinnati.

I always understand I can be wrong, but why would Wayne suddenly change his stripes now? He has seemed adamant all winter that he's not willing to get fleeced. I think Blanton would possibly be a nice addition, but I'm not interested in giving away alot for him.
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Ken Broo from Channel 5 was saying it would take Votto or Bailey or maybe both for Blanton. That's insane. I wouldn't include either in a deal for Blanton, let alone both.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

No. I wouldn't trade Votto for Blanton. I think he would have serious issues posting a sub 4.50 ERA in Cincinnati.

I would make that trade. I think Blanton would be 4.5 or better for the Reds. Just seems like a bulldog type pitcher, even without all the strikeouts. Even if he wound up at, say, 4.30 pitching 200 plus innings, that's a huge help in this rotation.

Votto hit very well in his September call up. But his AAA numbers lead me to be cautious in my praise. He had an .859 OPS at AAA, which is very good but not dominant. And only a .679 OPS against lefties, again vs. AAA pitching. So you could be looking at a very good platoon hitter.

Also, assuming Dunn and Bruce will be Reds for several years, I'd rather see first base manned by a power hitting righty bat.

So I'd agree to trade, say, Votto, Keppinger, and Travis Wood for Blanton. Substitute Freel for Keppinger if the A's can handle the salary.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the Reds want to make a move for a SP, Bedard is still available.
    No he's not.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would make that trade. I think Blanton would be 4.5 or better for the Reds. Just seems like a bulldog type pitcher, even without all the strikeouts. Even if he wound up at, say, 4.30 pitching 200 plus innings, that's a huge help in this rotation.

Votto hit very well in his September call up. But his AAA numbers lead me to be cautious in my praise. He had an .859 OPS at AAA, which is very good but not dominant. And only a .679 OPS against lefties, again vs. AAA pitching. So you could be looking at a very good platoon hitter.

Also, assuming Dunn and Bruce will be Reds for several years, I'd rather see first base manned by a power hitting righty bat.

So I'd agree to trade, say, Votto, Keppinger, and Travis Wood for Blanton. Substitute Freel for Keppinger if the A's can handle the salary.
    Goodness I would rather trade one of 4 young pitchers than Votto. But, you have to do what will work.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    No he's not.
    Well is anything confirmed in Baltimore yet? if not, then he's available.
    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Goodness I would rather trade one of 4 young pitchers than Votto. But, you have to do what will work.
    How does this help in any way? I'd let Votto go for Bedard. I'd Let him, Stubbs and Bailey go for Kazmir.

I'd offer Stubbs and someone from AA, say Lecure for Blanton. Hell, LeCure might be better than Blanton.
    Suck it up cupcake.

ESPN is reporting that Bedard is on his way to Seattle for a physical... sounds like a done deal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Well is anything confirmed in Baltimore yet? if not, then he's available.
    Bedard has already taken a physical and besides even if he hadn't yet, MacPhail isn't a scumbag.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Overpay for Blanton?

There isn't a pitcher in MLB that probably isn't overpaid due to the market and demand for even average pitching. Especially one that has, to a degree, established himself.

I just find it kind of hilarious that we rail on WK for not going out and getting an "established" pitcher - not that I'm saying I want him to pull a "Milton" - but in the same breath we say "but don't overpay for him."

If he is established, then he's probably going to cost you. It's probably the main reason we lost out on Haren. We didn't want to sacrifice the cost it would have taken to get him (which I heard was Cueto).

Now I'm not advocating that we need to make those sacrifices in every instance. It depends on the situation and what the demand (cost) is obviously. There are times you need to say No.

It's just this mindset on here that every time a player may be available, and it's to fill a dire need on this team, the first thing out of everyone's mouth is "don't overpay for him."

What standard or gauge is used to determine if a player was overpaid for? It seems to me it is all pretty subjective.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

whoops. guess i need to read the wire a bit more. ok... no Bedard.

you don't settle for the ugly girl at the back of the dance room. especially when she doesn't K anyone.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?