Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Reds are seriously pursuing Joe Blanton

Re: Paul Daugherty says Reds are seriously pursuing Joe Blanton

For what it's worth, here's what Daugherty wrote on his blog:

The Reds and Dodgers are talking with Oakland about Joe Blanton. Blanton has won 42 games in the past 3 years, was 14-10 last year and is already signed this year, to a relatively cheap $3.8 million deal.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Blanton would be a young version of Jimmy Haynes. Seriously, Last year's version of Blanton was very similar to the 2002 version of Jimmy Haynes. Low K's, gives up just over a hit per inning. Haynes was longball lucky. In the GABP, Blanton won't be so lucky. Pretty much everything doug said, I agree with, but I'll add another component. Now it may just be me, but the game seems to be in a flux again. It seems the SB is slowly coming back in vogue. The numbers may not show from a team standpoint, but at the individual level, the speed game seems important once again. If Blanton is forced to throw the FB more because of a Jose Reyes on 1B, well, that's going to be a bad combination.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Look closely at the home and road splits. Those road numbers are roughly what I would expect in GAB. No thanks. I would rather keep Votto or EdE or whomever the A's would have an interest in.

While I'm generally unmoved by home/road splits, I am moved by low K numbers.

I don't want to give up another offensive cog for a guy like Blanton.

They missed their chance with Bedard. Time to regroup and consider what's available at the trading deadline.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If it takes any one of Bruce, Bailey, Cueto or Votto then I don't want any part of Blanton. If we can work around that premise, I am all ears.
    Doug, I know you are very high on these Reds prospects and I respect that because you devote so much time and energy to following them.

I would be interested to know which starting pitchers in baseball you would expect in a trade for each. If you don't mind, could you give one example of a pitcher who, in each case, would represent fair value in exchange for Bruce, Bailey, Cueto and Votto?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Everyone says we need starting pitching.. when a guy like Joe Blanton comes up who besides Johan Santana and Erik Bedard was and is the next best available option out there and he is under $4 million... everyone bails on the guy. We are still clamoring for more starters yet our noses get turned up at the sound of Blanton. He's not that bad is he? From what I've read in the past Beane is in love with Cueto. I'm not thrilled with Blanton's numbers but he would automatically become our #3 starter which this team needs. He to me compares to Livan Hernandez.. he's going to pitch around 210+ innings, win 12+ games, and K about 120+ batters.

For what it is worth.. Blanton was born and raised in Kentucky (Bowling Green and attended UK).. I doubt Blanton has a say in his destination.. but I would think Cincinnati would be preferred.

No way do you give up Cueto for Blanton.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Blanton let up 147 hits in 120 road innings last year. 5.11 era. 2.69 era at home.

Again, might not be terrible in the rotation but I wouldn't give up a lot to get him.
    I don't think Blanton's home/road splits are a tremendous red flag (as explained here)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I tend to think the home/away split argument against Blanton is a little overblown. In '05 his ERA was .38 runs better at home. In '06 his ERA was .60 runs better at home. For some context Haren's ERA was .54 runs better at home than on the road as an Athletic. Now for the biggy-Blanton's '07 his ERA was 2.42 runs better at home. Basically Blanton's home/road splits have been greatly skewed by one wacky season.

His peripherals might not be inspiring but his home/road splits probably aren't the flag some might think they are....

Basically he's a guy who has GB tendencies, may have taken a step forward with his command, has shown an above average ability to churning up innings, and would be expected to get a bounce by changing leagues. Given that GABP isn't so much a hitter's environment as it excessively rewards flyballs there is reason to think Blanton wouldn't be dinged as badly by GABP as one might initially think. For instance, he's got GB tendencies and he's one of those weird guys who has consistently posted a HR/FB rate that is much lower than normal for a starter.
    Generally the league effect trumps environment but Blanton would be going from one extreme to what is considered another in moving from Oakland to GABP so a good deal of his league bounce might get eaten up by park. I haven't thought a lot about Blanton (or the real impact GABP might have upon him) so my opinion could change but I'd guess it's probably reasonable to think Blanton could effect run prevention for the Reds about like Arroyo.

This is another rumor with no legs though-seriously-Blanton isn't a lefty and Marty won't allow it.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-07-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I honestly feel that the Affeldt acquisition probably ended the rotation upgrade in the Red's mind (as disappointed as it makes me). Its not that if another pitching upgrade falls into WK's lap that he's not going to check it out, but I doubt that he's actively pursuing Blanton... this rumor is probably just meant to get red-heads like us all stirred up... but I'll bite because I've been desperate for some exciting Reds talk since the Bedard talks officially died.

I've said in another thread (see "The Other Phillips-the future of 1b") that I feel as if WK might shop Votto hard before the season starts... so, that being said - I wouldnt be surprised if Votto might be involved in a Blanton deal.... I don't see WK giving up much more that bodies to the A's for Blanton ... Votto+ 3 'spects for Blanton might get it done.

I think WK will also acquire Brian Anderson and let Bruce start in AAA - I'm a Hopper fan ... I truly am, but I could see the Reds taking a shot to see if Anderson can be the next Brandon Phillips - if not, no big deal, the Reds can simply bring Bruce up.

I also would put my money on both Griff and Dunn getting some training at 1b this Spring Training and them possibly getting some time there during the season in order to make room for Bruce. A speedy defensive CFer would make all our pitching better :-)

IMO Affeldt was signed with the intent of HANDING him the 4th-5th spot in the rotation. In fact, he's going to have to stink pretty bad for the Reds to break camp without him in the rotation. In my mind the Reds have a set rotation right now.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Affeldt/Volquez
    Volquez/Affeldt

Now if one of the kids kick the door down, and Affeldt stinks, as he likely will in the rotation, that puts Volquez at #4, and one of the kiddos at #5.

So who, exactly does anyone prefer Blanton over? I mean, I'd MAYBE take him over Affeldt, but I wouldn't take him over any of Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, Maloney. In fact, I wouldn't take him over Belisle. Blanton is about as right for the Reds as Shaq is for the Suns.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    IMO Affeldt was signed with the intent of HANDING him the 4th-5th spot in the rotation. In fact, he's going to have to stink pretty bad for the Reds to break camp without him in the rotation. In my mind the Reds have a set rotation right now.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Affeldt/Volquez
    Volquez/Affeldt

Now if one of the kids kick the door down, and Affeldt stinks, as he likely will in the rotation, that puts Volquez at #4, and one of the kiddos at #5.

So who, exactly does anyone prefer Blanton over? I mean, I'd MAYBE take him over Affeldt, but I wouldn't take him over any of Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, Maloney. In fact, I wouldn't take him over Belisle. Blanton is about as right for the Reds as Shaq is for the Suns.
    All things being equal ... I'd take Blanton over Belisle, Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, and def. Maloney. The answer might be different in '09, but now ... I'd rather have Blanton in the rotation than any of these guys.

I have this gut feeling about Belisle and I have little faith in him ever shaking out to be more than a #4/5 type guy.

All things being equal - this is my rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Blanton
    Volquez
    Affeldt/Bailey/Belisle

Ultimately, I'd rather have Affeldt taking Stanton's spot in the pen ... I think the Belisle issue will take care of itself - if everyone's peforming well .. we trade him for something we need or if the BP is struggling we move him to the pen. We'll have Cueto & Maloney waiting in the wings in case of injury - if we're in a playoff race I think Cueto goes into the pen....

Getting Blanton would be nice ... really nice ... and takes away at least one ? in a rotation full of ???

Rumor gaining steam
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0...on-may-be.html

Time to get excited people... lets see if this shakes out to have any truth../ be a good trade...

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Belisle has an OPS against (Slugging and OBA combined) of .813 lifetime. Blanton's is .723.

Blanton has a modest contract, pitched 230 innings of below 4.00 ball last year in the American League. I'll take that pitcher for the Reds and would manage to find a slot for him.

The concept that our 5 plus ERA staff has no room for Blanton is a point of view I find, well, inaccurate.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Time to get excited people
    How about you get excited for me but wake me up when there are some facts.....
    Last edited by jojo; 02-07-2008 at 11:57 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Isn't that rumor just a restatement of what's already been speculated?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?