Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Batman:The Dark Knight

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Batman:The Dark Knight

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Well it came in #1 for the 3rd straight week and will pass the $400M mark on Monday or Tuesday making it the fastest to that mark in less than half the time it took Shrek 2 (current record holder) to get there.
    Most of the major competition for the summer is gone -- I wonder if it's got the repeat business in it to break Titanic's record at $600m.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Most of the major competition for the summer is gone -- I wonder if it's got the repeat business in it to break Titanic's record at $600m.
    I really don't think it can beat Titantic. Any time now it'll start to die down. It could get $500 million domestically but probably not much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I really don't think it can beat Titantic. Any time now it'll start to die down. It could get $500 million domestically but probably not much more than that.
    The article I read also said that Batman would have to do a little more then $900M to equal the ticket sales Titanic did

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The article I read also said that Batman would have to do a little more then $900M to equal the ticket sales Titanic did
    Looking back, its amazing what an army of bored, lovesick, teenage girls can do.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Saw it tonight and I loved it. The best movie I've seen in recent memory.

My two favorite performances were Ledger (RIP) and Aaron Eckhart.

The action sequences were filmed brilliantly in Chicago. I especially loved the "hit me" scene.

Star Wars made $460M and was released in 1977. I wonder what that equates to in today's dollars.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Star Wars made $460M and was released in 1977. I wonder what that equates to in today's dollars.

According to this chart, more than 1.26 billion, still less than Gone With The Overrated Wind.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Took my son to see this today. He liked it and I didn't. IMHO: Bale's "Batman voice" is silly, the "Batman should be apprehended" plot thread was pointless and the film is just too darn long.
    /r/reds

They call me "chef"

Also he never made reference to the shark repellent on his tool belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Took my son to see this today. He liked it and I didn't. IMHO: Bale's "Batman voice" is silly, the "Batman should be apprehended" plot thread was pointless and the film is just too darn long.
    Wow, that was harsh. I can't say I agree, but I find it almost refreshing to see such a different take on the film.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Just got back from seeing it with the boys. Very good movie. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought it kinda dragged in a couple parts; but overall very good. Ledger's performance is simply awesome.

I was a comic book fanatic as a kid growing up in the 60's, and during that time, thanks to the censorship board, the Joker, as with many comic book heroes. were "toned down" from their original concepts. During that time the Joker was more a harmless, cackling nuisance.

It's obvious that Ledger's Joker is mainly based on the Joker revived and revised in the early 70s as the insanely deranged homicidal maniac.

It's good to see some of my favorite super heroes finally getting serious attempts made to portray them in accordance to their creator's original intent.

I hated some of the TV shows of the 60s/70s because I think they mocked the heroes more then trying to be honest portayals. And I've never liked the Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Superman either. I was hoping Superman Returns would be a more serious effort; but again I was sorely disappointed. But then, I am no fan of Kevin Spacey either.

My favorite scene was towards the end when Joker was standing on the street outside the hospital. Some of the detonations didn't go off, so he is smacking it against his hand, and then seems startled from the explosion when they do go off. He then sulks off.

I wish there had been a bigger part (maybe in the next movie) for the Dent/Two Face character. I hated to see him killed off.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Batman's voice was a little too hoarse for me, but I thought the film wasn't long enough. I wanted more Eckhart and Ledger together. They both turned in fine performances.

The Batman should be apprehended had a point in that he's a vigilante, which is against the law, plus the Joker turned the tables and made the city want him turned in since he said people will die unless Batman shows who he really is.

This is my now favorite movie. Very well done, psychological thriller.

RIP Heath. It's a shame we'll never see another performance like that.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I'd rank it up there with the best I've ever seen.

The voice didn't annoy me because at least the director had a reason to disguise it.

All around a terrific film, made all the more so by Ledger. The scene in the hospital with Eckhart was scarily hilarious. In fact, the funny/evil thing had me laughing out loud whenever Ledger was onscreen.

The scenes in the hospital.

The magic trick.

The handheld cam scenes when he's interrogating the wannabe Batman.

The interrogations scenes in the police station with Batman.

Tremendous acting all around in this movie with a well done script and fantastic directing.

Went to this last night, it's a decent flick, nothing spectacular. Pretty good performances with some nice action sequences. It's a good action flick, nothing more. On IMDB it's rated in the top 5 of all time, I think we can all agree that it shouldn't be.

Turn Off Ads?