Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman:The Dark Knight

Re: Batman:The Dark Knight

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's not at all kid-friendly. There was a couple sitting in front of me yesterday with a 3-year-old boy. Not a good move on their part.

The projector also "broke" during the movie when I saw it. Twice. During the last 15 minutes of the movie. There were 400 not-happy people in the theater. My next movie is on Cinema De Lux.

i plan on taking my 11 year old daughter to it sunday. what makes it so unfriendly for the little ones? violence to life like? she understands there just movies, Lord knows shes watched the jurasic park movies enough with the dinos eating everyone and had no problems. thanks for the feedback in advance.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

definitely in my top 5

went in with enormous expectations and this blew it out of the water

whysoserious
    woo woo woo, you know it

I saw it tonight. I had wondered if Ledger's death was being used to hype his performance into something better than it actually was. I went into this movie being skeptical of how good he actually was. Boy, oh boy was I wrong. He was fantastic. He made Nicholson's Joker look like a Disney character.

I'm not sure if I want to wait for the DVD to see it again.

Just got back. Great movie. I don't know about one of the best ever, but I really enjoyed it. But I know nothing of the Batman comic stories (which would have really helped) and I never saw any of the Keaton, Kilmer Batman movies (I did see Batman Begins), and I really don't enjoy super hero stuff at all, including movies, so I don't think there was any way it was ever going to crack my top movies. But it is far and away the best of this genre I've ever seen.

And I will add to what others have said about Ledger. I went in with high expectations but also wondering if his tales of his performance was a bit exaggerated because of his death. And it absolutely was not. He was brilliant, that's all there is to it. It was as good an acting performance as I've seen in quite some time and he'd be a very worth Oscar winner. You could take all the performances in movies over the past decade and I think his performance would warrant a nomination. He was that good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    i plan on taking my 11 year old daughter to it sunday. what makes it so unfriendly for the little ones? violence to life like? she understands there just movies, Lord knows shes watched the jurasic park movies enough with the dinos eating everyone and had no problems. thanks for the feedback in advance.
    The movie presents a lot of dark themes and ideas that a child will not be able to understand (for better or for worse). The Joker's whole deal is putting people in situations where they have to choose between two horrible evils (i.e. you have to choose who dies, the woman you love or 1,000 innocent people?). And the tone of the movie is very gritty and realistic so these propositions have a sick, affecting quality. Their weight isn't washed away with cartoon violence or comedy. This is very disturbing stuff. There may not be brains being blown out onto the pavement or nudity, but this is a very hard PG-13. More disturbing than many R films.

For those who have already seen it, was that hostage video clip the Joker sent to the Gotham Cable news channel not one of the scariest things you've seen? And that laugh!

Just got back from seeing it too. No need to pile on, so I'll just agree that this was the best movie of it's genre. And for those who have seen it, did anybody else love that scene when the Joker was in the interregation room and it was pitch black, so only his face was visible? Putting it simply, Christopher Nolan is one helluva director, that's for sure.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

I have an 11 year old daughter. I'm not one to tell other people how to parent kids because I sure as hell don't have the parenting thing figured out. And I won't judge if some parents decide to. That's all their decisions and none of my business.

But I will say that after seeing it, there's no way I'd take my daughter to see it. It does have some very disturbing provocations of thought that I believe would trouble someone that young, even thought it's delivered ina fictional setting. Folks that have said it's a dark film are correct. But that's just my opinion.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I took my son to see it, he's 14. I left my 11 year old daughter at home. I'm glad I did after seeing it.

SPOLIER HO! (highlight to read)

Harvey Dent/Two-Face is NOT dead. Gordon and Batman faked his funeral and put him in Arkham Asylum. Even if it wasn't the original plan, with Ledger passing away it's the best choice in continuing the series.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Raisor SPOLIER HO! (highlight to read)

Highlight again.

I really hope that's what they do. Eckhart was great and I was kinda upset that they killed him before we really got to see much of Two Face in action. I don't think he could be the main villain in the next movie but I think he'd a really good complementary villain, if you will.

Took my wife and two oldest sons....(17 and 12). We all LOVED it.

We're not big fans of ultra dark or gratuitously violent movies.....and we all thought it was great. My wife got a call this afternoon from a gal who took her two teenagers...and she just thought it was downright evil.

I wanted to call her after the movie. Yes...it has a dark element to it, but also many very redeeming parts in it to talk w/ the boys about.

I agree w/ Razor's assessment of Ledger and the hype. No hype, he was brilliant.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

BTW, my favorite scene was the one in the hospital with Dent and the Joker with the Joker going on about the "schemers" and then with the gun pointed at his head for the coin flip. That was good stuff.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    For those who have already seen it, was that hostage video clip the Joker sent to the Gotham Cable news channel not one of the scariest things you've seen? And that laugh!
    I thought it was similar to something out of House of 1000 Corpses.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    To me, it's the haunting nature of the movie combined with the very graphic violence. I'm surprised it received a PG-13 rating really.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    The movie presents a lot of dark themes and ideas that a child will not be able to understand (for better or for worse). The Joker's whole deal is putting people in situations where they have to choose between two horrible evils (i.e. you have to choose who dies, the woman you love or 1,000 innocent people?). And the tone of the movie is very gritty and realistic so these propositions have a sick, affecting quality. Their weight isn't washed away with cartoon violence or comedy. This is very disturbing stuff. There may not be brains being blown out onto the pavement or nudity, but this is a very hard PG-13. More disturbing than many R films.
    Very good assessment, in my opinion. It's a rough PG-13.

What a great movie. As others have said, Ledger's performance is unbelievable. The film is in turns chilling, funny, thought-provoking and action-packed - it's got it all, even for non-Batman fans.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?