Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman:The Dark Knight

Re: Batman:The Dark Knight

I don't really know if there should be a sequel or not. It would be kind of hard to top this movie and make another installment.

I also hope that the Joker does not return if there is another movie. Heath Ledger did such a great job in this movie that I don't think it should be attempted to be duplicated. I don't know if the reason the Joker wasn't killed was to pay tribute to Ledger by keeping his character alive or to use him again later, but I hope the latter isn't the case.

BTW, for those of us who did not catch on, what were the hints of Catwoman and Riddler?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not posting spoilers would be appreciated, but I will just not read the thread again until I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    BTW, for those of us who did not catch on, what were the hints of Catwoman and Riddler?
    there weren't any, as far as I saw

should i be concerned that the Joker said things that are almost verbatim to things that i have said in the last two years?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't really know if there should be a sequel or not. It would be kind of hard to top this movie and make another installment.

I also hope that the Joker does not return if there is another movie. Heath Ledger did such a great job in this movie that I don't think it should be attempted to be duplicated. I don't know if the reason the Joker wasn't killed was to pay tribute to Ledger by keeping his character alive or to use him again later, but I hope the latter isn't the case.

Bruce and Lucius are discussing the new material used for Batman's suit. Bruce asks whether the material can stop a dog. Lucius suggests that it could stop a cat. I took that with a grain of salt, but someone pointed it out to me as a possible hint.
    I didn't catch any Riddler references.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Bruce and Lucius are discussing the new material used for Batman's suit. Bruce asks whether the material can stop a dog. Lucius suggests that it could stop a cat. I took that with a grain of salt, but someone pointed it out to me as a possible hint.
    I didn't catch any Riddler references.
    I know Oldman has mentioned the Riddler specifically in a few interviews when being asked about The Joker being recast or not. In fact, he mentioned the Riddler a few weeks ago.

I could see the Riddler, Catwoman and perhaps even two-face as possible characters in another movie. As far as the question about The Joker, I think the plan was to leave him hanging (pun intended) the way they did before Heath's passing. The question now is how they bring him back, if they do at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Joker, I think the plan was to leave him hanging (pun intended) the way they did before Heath's passing. The question now is how they bring him back, if they do at all.
    Joker will be the very first person to ever not escape from Arkham Asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    For obvious reasons, I hope so. It wouldn't be the same after that performance.

there weren't any, as far as I saw
    Actually...

When Lucious reveals the new bat suit, Wayne asks if it will be OK against dogs - Lucious said it would, but he was not sure about cats. Hmmm.
    Meanwhile, the guy who was blackmailing Bruce was named Reese. Mr. Reese = Mysterious = Riddler?

You'd think the authorites would start cracking down.

The place must be run by ex-referees from professional wrestling.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

While Ledger's performance may be extraordinary, if they decide to do a sequel and include the Joker character, I don't see why, if they do their research, they couldn't find another actor to do just as admirable job as Heath.

It's all about finding the right actor who can do that persona.

Did anyone have doubts when they first heard they cast Heath "Patriot, First Knight" Ledger as the Joker? I certainly did.

Yet he pulls it off fantastically. So another actor couldn't? He's the only one who could ever do the Joker?
    Last edited by GAC; 07-21-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    While Ledger's performance may be extraordinary, if they decide to do a sequel and include the Joker character, I don't see why, if they do their research, they couldn't find another actor to do just as admirable job as Heath.

It's all about finding the right actor who can do that persona.

Did anyone have doubts when they first heard they cast Heath "Patriot, First Knight" Ledger as the Joker? I certainly did.

Yet he pulls it off fantastically. So another actor couldn't? He's the only one who could ever do the Joker?
    But the difference is it's natural to compare a character to another within it's own franchise. Unless you count Jack Nicholson's performance in Tim Burton's Batman, there was not really as much to compare Ledger to. He pulled off what we expected to serve as Joker's character.

However, insert someone else to play the role that was already mastered so well by Ledger within the same franchise, and suddenly it's automatically much tougher. I think anyone, no matter how good an actor they are, would be destined to fail in that role after this performance. It's probably the reason you'd be hard-pressed to find many sequels that thrive if one of the lead characters have been replaced from one to another.

All dyslexics must untie!

While I enjoyed the movie, the Joker's ability to set up these elaborate "situation ethics" scenarios (I mean, really--how many barrels of oil can one villian rig up and no one even notices?) kind of stretched credulity, for me. It would've been nice to see the Joker's background preparation, especially considering he certainly had no loyal gang of cohorts. Either he was the most masterful manipulator of fellow criminals (and compromised cops) the underworld has ever known...or...the plot has a few locked rooms that need to be opened

Perhaps these scenes hit the editing room floor? I'll have to get the director's cut, when it comes out
    Last edited by gm; 07-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    While I enjoyed the movie, the Joker's ability to set up these elaborate "situation ethics" scenarios (I mean, really--how many barrels of oil can one villian rig up and no one even notices?) kind of stretched credulity, for me.
    Any film based on a comic book has to stretch credulity to a certain degree.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    But the difference is it's natural to compare a character to another within it's own franchise. Unless you count Jack Nicholson's performance in Tim Burton's Batman, there was not really as much to compare Ledger to. He pulled off what we expected to serve as Joker's character.
    Absolutely true. But Burton was going for a completely different Joker persona in his version.

But Burton's was the first, IMHO, to really try to bring out the true "darkness" that surrounded the Wayne/Batman character that Kane originally intended. Prior to that, the last effort was the campy Batman TV series starring Adam West and Burt Ward.

However, insert someone else to play the role that was already mastered so well by Ledger within the same franchise, and suddenly it's automatically much tougher.
    I'm sure Ledger's version will always stand out and be a "benchmark". But not an impossible benchmark. Any future performance by an actor doesn't have to replicate what Heath did; but put their own "signature" on the character. It can be successfully done IMO.

I can remember when Burton's Batman came out, many were saying "Keaton as Batman? The same "Beetle Juice" Keaton?" Yet I thought Keaton did one heck of a job at the Wayne/Batman character.

And then along came Bale's Batman.

Ledger's unfortunate death should not spell the demise of the Joker character.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-21-2008 at 07:27 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?