Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Re: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've seen hundreds of movies in my life, good and bad, but somehow I'd missed seeing "The Godfather" until last night.

There was a movie that absolutely did not disappoint. Years and years of "I can't believe you haven't seen this, you've gotta watch it" and I still walked away impressed.
    In my family you have to watch the Godfather with my grandparents when you turn 15. It takes at least six hours because they stop the movie every three minutes to tell stories. Then a couple of weeks later you go through the whole shebang again with Godfather II. (Godfather III is exempt, however, as they hate it.) I love both those movies.

My family also has annual Scarface (the Pacino remake, I think) parties which they open with a big plastic chainsaw. I have actually never seen either Scarface thought.

The worse movie I ever saw, ever, was Finding Forrester. I still rue the money I spent on that one. I wasn't expecting much out of it though so I don't know if it really qualifies for this thread. Meet the Parents is a good one. Hated it. One movie that I think I was supposed to love and just didn't was The English Patient. Great actors, great story, and just eye-gougingly boring.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    One movie that I think I was supposed to love and just didn't was The English Patient. Great actors, great story, and just eye-gougingly boring.

Are you really Elaine Benes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Are you really Elaine Benes?
    I do. not. get. Seinfeld references. And yet they just continue to be made on this board and everywhere else in life.

If we had a thread of great TV shows that people hate, Seinfeld would top my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Hearing people say they didn't like the Big Lebowski pains me in my heart.
    Mr. Lebowski, this is Bill Salinger of the Southern Cal Bowling League. We received an, uh, an informal complaint that a member of your team - a Walter Sobchak? - drew a firearm during league play. If this is true, of course, it contravenes a number of the leagues by-laws and also Article 27 ...
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

The Thin Red Line. After Saving Private Ryan was such a standout movie, all of these people were saying Thin Red Line was going to be on par with Ryan, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Long, boring, and downright sucky.

Gettysburg. wow was that bad. I really wanted it to be good too.

Any movie in which Harrison Ford plays a villain is a bad idea to me.

I love westerns but can't stand Silverado. Can't sit through it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I do. not. get. Seinfeld references. And yet they just continue to be made on this board and everywhere else in life.

If we had a thread of great TV shows that people hate, Seinfeld would top my list.
    I agree 100%. I just never liked the show. I am usually a fan of funny tv shows, but it just wasn't my kind of funny.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I agree 100%. I just never liked the show. I am usually a fan of funny tv shows, but it just wasn't my kind of funny.
    I've noticed a lot of women don't get Seinfeld or Monty Python. One or the other usually. My wife likes Seinfeld, but does not understand MP.

Ughhhh Monty Python... I think it was funny for about ten minutes in the 70's, I was there... it hasn't been very funny since.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I've noticed a lot of women don't get Seinfeld or Monty Python. One or the other usually. My wife likes Seinfeld, but does not understand MP.
    I don't think it's a matter of "get", I think it's a matter of taste. I thought Seinfeld was terrific the first couple of seasons when it really was what it was purported to be: a show about "nothing". After that, it became a self-reverential show about inside jokes -- which is one reason, I think, that it's so frequently quoted: the lines are instantly recognizable because they were used in various forms over and over and over again. That just loses luster with me pretty fast. Very unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ughhhh Monty Python... I think it was funny for about ten minutes in the 70's, I was there... it hasn't been very funny since.
    i was there too. Can't get enough of it. I watch Holy Grail about 5 times a year. Benny Hill I never understood.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    i was there too. Can't get enough of it. I watch Holy Grail about 5 times a year. Benny Hill I never understood.
    Benny Hill is the gateway drug to British Comedy.... as sad as that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm not sure it would be possible for me to disagree more.

And in that vein, here's Sir Digby Chicken Caesar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7r8...eature=related
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Monty Python's funny. Their fans, OTOH, can be a bit much.

I like Seinfeld, Simpsons and MP, but I'm all for a moratorium on references.

The Oscars always sucks me into movies that I find myself disappointed in. (Lost in Translation was one of them).

Gosford Park, The Hours..... (Taking a glance at the dusty side of my DVD shelf).

Every now and them they point me to an obscure gem and I forgive them.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?