Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Oh, Superbad was just that. Hated McLovin and the entire crew. Saw Roper on television explaining that this movie was this generation's Fast Times at Ridgemont High. If that's true, God help this generation.
    You know, I sort of felt this way, too after Superbad. I liked it, but I was a little letdown for some reason.

What is funny is so subjective, and most of the movies in this genre are so bad that this one could seem like a gem to most critics.

The movie was hilarious up until a point but it didn't sustain. It stinks when you find yourself enthralled in something so funny and then all the air gets let out.

Superbad went from being a classic to a movie whose whole was less than its sum. A few classic scenes filled with some humor that anybody on this board could write.

I don't think the comparison to Fast Times is all that off. That really was a movie that missed the mark by a hair for me as well, though the scenes with Spicoli and the teacher are classic.

Mr. Hand: "Mr. Hand, will I pass this class?' Gee, Mr. Spicoli, I don't know! You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to leave your words right up here for all my classes to enjoy, giving you full credit of course, Mr. Spicoli."

Spicoli: Alright!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Wedding Crashers was such a major disappointment for me...I heard so much about how funny it was and how it was probably my type of comedy and Wham!--only one laugh the whole 90 minutes--the Godzilla remake with Matthew Broderick was also a letdown--as was Pearl Harbor and The Thin Red Line....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Wedding Crashers was such a major disappointment for me......

Yet another one I love.

Raisor hearts the Fratpack.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

The Blair Witch Project. I came in so excited to see the majesty of the film but came out tired and bored.
    Witty signature.

My biggest beef with most Hollywood-backed comedies of late is the focus-group feel of most of them; they are so often overly-tidy, overly-formulaic and in the effort to move the audience along with tremendous haste from joke to joke, the sense of timing is brutally lost. Some comedies do benefit from this triphammer pacing, but most don't. I can say for certain that the original Vacation or Revenge of the Nerds would never make it past the first edit in today's Hollywood market.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My biggest beef with most Hollywood-backed comedies of late is the focus-group feel of most of them; they are so often overly-tidy, overly-formulaic and in the effort to move the audience along with tremendous haste from joke to joke, the sense of timing is brutally lost. Some comedies do benefit from this triphammer pacing, but most don't. I can say for certain that the original Vacation or Revenge of the Nerds would never make it past the first edit in today's Hollywood market.
    Test audiences. They go through so many screenings from the very first edit on that I believe they completely lose sight of the bigger picture of the film. It's literally: which joke gets a laugh, which doesn't; keep, delete. I think it reduces a movie to a line of jokes rather than keeping a focus on the complete whole, which certainly plays into what you're saying.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Wedding Crashers was such a major disappointment for me...I heard so much about how funny it was and how it was probably my type of comedy and Wham!--only one laugh the whole 90 minutes--the Godzilla remake with Matthew Broderick was also a letdown--as was Pearl Harbor and The Thin Red Line....
    That is one of the few movies that I was excited to go to and wasn't disappointed. I think it is one of the funniest movies to come out in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Oh, Superbad was just that. Hated McLovin and the entire crew. Saw Roper on television explaining that this movie was this generation's Fast Times at Ridgemont High. If that's true, God help this generation.
    I remember hearing that same basic complaint leveled at Fast Times. It got slammed by critics and columnists and parents, who complained it glorified a morally bereft pack of teens, who had little to do with teens in the real world. Being a teenager I thought it only teased at how gonzo we'd become.

I haven't seen Superbad, but I get the feeling the objections are along the same lines.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Porkchop Sandwiches

X2, Wedding Crashers and Knocked Up

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Test audiences. They go through so many screenings from the very first edit on that I believe they completely lose sight of the bigger picture of the film. It's literally: which joke gets a laugh, which doesn't; keep, delete. I think it reduces a movie to a line of jokes rather than keeping a focus on the complete whole, which certainly plays into what you're saying.
    That's got to be right. Just watch a movie like, say, Dog Day Afternoon. Pay attention to the pacing, all the "excess" footage, the lazy, hot-1970's summer motion of the characters and the action, the odd, sometimes disjunctive or "unnecessary" dialogue. It has a wonderful, shaggy, human appeal to it. It would never, ever survive today's Hollywood market. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know. But I love Dog Day Afternoon precisely for its peculiarities, quirks, and asymmetries.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

That's got to be right. Just watch a movie like, say, Dog Day Afternoon. Pay attention to the pacing, all the "excess" footage, the lazy, hot-1970's summer motion of the characters and the action, the odd, sometimes disjunctive or "unnecessary" dialogue. It has a wonderful, shaggy, human appeal to it. It would never, ever survive today's Hollywood market. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know. But I love Dog Day Afternoon precisely for its peculiarities, quirks, and asymmetries.

You think a movie with its subplot themes could be made today or would it be too risky to get financing for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You think a movie with its subplot themes could be made today or would it be too risky to get financing for?
    It probably depends on the director. If a guy has a ton of hits under his/her belt, he/she likely have the leverage to do something longer, more idiosyncratic (Coen brothers come to mind). But if you're a young pup, no way your 2 1/2 hour long movie gets funding unless it is edited tighter than a drum, and even then, it's highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 02-20-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nah, I think we live in the ADD generation.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That style of cinema was not a prevalent one for very long, the realism of the 67 - 82 era was a reflection of the current culture and reaction to the prior one. One rooted in realism for the sake of realism. I love that style, was weaned on it and appreciate it.

But the ET's of the world demanded that style be pushed back into the art houses. Mostly because it bored the regular theater goer more and more as the 70's moved on, it became almost a deluge of movies that made you think... and feel (crappy most of the time) So let's thank The Unmarried Woman, Foxes, Lifeguard and American Gigilo for making us all feel seedy whilst eating popcorn.

Come to think of it, Napoleon Dynamite was a movie that many went ga-ga over and I just didn't get it.

Watched it a couple times with the kids and the parts that they were rolling on the floor on, I was sitting there saying "what?, is that supposed to be funny?".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?