Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Re: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

The Matrix 2 & 3 almost made me wish the original Matrix had never been made.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The Big Lebowski. One of the dumbest movies ever made. I can't believe I wasted two hours watching.
    Agreed. What an absolute mess.

And I feel the same way about "Fargo".

But "Pulp Fiction" and "Boogie Nights" are cinematic masterpieces -- two of the most important and influential films of the 90s.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pulp Fiction was awful. The bits with John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson together were really good, but the rest was unwatchable.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Pulp Fiction was awful. The bits with John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson together were really good, but the rest was unwatchable.
    Self-aware, tried much too hard.

Fargo on the other hand was excellent. Just real enough to be excruciating and cringeworthy (who among doesn't know a schlemiel like the WH Macy character), but fantastical enough to be completely disorienting and jarring.

I agree though that Big Lebowski was a bit of a letdown after the greatness of Fargo.

There Will Be Blood was pretty overwrought too. And I had high expectations for it. Wes and Paul Thomas Anderson need to go away. They ain't Ole Anderson, that's for sure.

Probably the best movie I've seen the last 4 months is Eastern Promises. Very engrossing.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 02-07-2008 at 10:37 PM.

A.I. was THE worst movie of all-time!!! I wish that the company would pay me time and a half just to watch the stupid movie!

I agree with FCB, Eastern Promise was awesome!
    Let's make some noise!

I thought Fargo was brilliant.

I think A.I. would have been good had Kubrick finished it. That ending that Spielberg tacked on was pathetic.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Good call on Dr. Zhivago.

My dad loved John Wayne - he made such a big deal out of his movies. He built up these movies so much that when video came out and he could rent them, he would "lets watch John Wayne movies tonight". When I sat through these movies as a boy, I thought he may be the most inarticulate, inexpressive man that existed. I wondered what was wrong with me to think that way, after all my dad liked everything he did. So I never said anything - I just watched the movies. Now that I'm older and I see my dad less often, I'm glad I kept my opinion to myself.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Wow. I will not be counting on some of you to recommend movies for me.

I loved Mulholland Drive, and I'm not a big david lynch fan. Didn't understand twin peaks. Usually think he's weird for weird sake.

Loved Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. So I can't say I agree about Tarantino being bad. I had no desire to see Kill Bill, but I suspect that if I forced myself to watch it and brave the bloodshed it would have something redeeming.

I loved Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and everything I've seen by PT Anderson.... even the Adam Sandler one.

Loved the Big Lebowski.

---

Here's my overrated list:

I was very disappointed by the first Matrix, and wouldn't have considered seeing the other ones.

Say Anything did nothing for me, and I like John Cusack a lot.

Thelma & Louise did nothing for me. I prefer the proverbial "chick" flick to watching two of my favorite female leads stooping to the cliches of male action leads.

Crash. Can't believe so many people liked this one so much. While I enjoyed snippets, I thought it was a disturbingly shallow and hyperbolic in its treatment of racial prejudice. It was praised for precisely what I thought it lacked.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I thought the Matrix was weak.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The Talented Mr. Ripley - i actually fell asleep IN the theatre.

1492 - 4 vhs tapes of terrible

Once Upon a Time in Amerca - i was told this was the best mob movie ever made... i failed to see it the same way.

Rocky Horror Picture Show - all my friends have some strange obsession with it. i've been to the "cult" viewings at the Neon in Dayton on numerous occasions. and i have hated it every time.

Eyes Wide Shut - boooooorrring....

Traffic - for the subject matter and whatnot, Requiem for a Dream was a FAR better and more gripping expose on drugs

And most everything made by Woody Allen... I guess I just don't get him. At all.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Probably the best movie I've seen the last 4 months is Eastern Promises. Very engrossing.

Cool. I just picked that one up for about 3 bucks.

I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I did like the first Matrix. After seeing it I was interested in seeing the sequels.

Wow. Went from interesting concept, new special effects, involved story line and good visuals to....well....some sort of horrable high-school film project in Matrix II and Matrix III.

I've always wanted to see Butch Cassedy & The Sundance Kid. My parents always talked it up and mentally I had it stored away as a film I should probably watch someday.

WRONG. It was just plain dumb. At least The Sting had it's moments, but BC&SK was just a rambling, unconnected romp pretending to be a cowbow comedy.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Re: Classic movies that dissapoint

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Cannonball run was just an excuse to wear jumpsuits and do coke.
    I am still giggling over this line.

I'm sure the person in the next hotel room is woundering what sort of idiot or serial killer is in the adjacent room.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Re: Classic movies that dissapoint

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Cannonball run was just an excuse to wear jumpsuits and do coke.
    I think the coke came first. Nobody _starts_ with the jumpsuit.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Ghostbusters was a bust for me. I remember going to the theater anticipating a very funny movie. But hardly chuckled throughout the show.

The Descent was pretty bad too. I thought it would be good but the creatures they came across in the cave were just laughable,IMO.

Sweeney Todd, a more recent movie, was a little disappointing. A little too much throat slashing for me. But I guess you should expect that in a Tim Burton movie.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?