Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Mercker to minor league deal

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Reds sign Mercker to minor league deal

According to Trent:

The Reds signed LHP Kent Mercker to a minor league contract with a spring training invite.

Mercker sat out last season after elbow surgery. Mercker, a native of Dublin, Ohio, appeared in 37 games for the Reds in 2006.

Mercker was also mentioned in the Mitchell Report. In the report, former Mets employee Kirk Radomski told investigators that he sold one kit of human growth hormone to Mercker for $1,600. A copy of a check or $1,600 from Mercker to Radomski was included in the report.

Fellow left-handed reliever Mike Stanton was also named in the Mitchell Report.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Reds sign Mercker to minor league deal

I can't see Mercker having any success in baseball what so ever right now. He's 37 years old and he just came off elbow surgery. Unless he's going to be player/coach of sorts then this is a bad investment on the Reds side. It also doesn't help that Mercker was on the Mitchell Report. I hope they didn't pay much over the minimum.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I can't see Mercker having any success in baseball what so ever right now. He's 37 years old and he just came off elbow surgery. Unless he's going to be player/coach of sorts then this is a bad investment on the Reds side. It also doesn't help that Mercker was on the Mitchell Report. I hope they didn't pay much over the minimum.
    Actually, he's 40.

What the hell, the more the scarier.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I don't think it's much of an "investment" when it's a minor league deal. Low risk, high reward...just another arm for ST games. And he's a heck of a guy, from what I hear. Why not give him a shot, regardless of his age?
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by FreelFanatic View Post
    I don't think it's much of an "investment" when it's a minor league deal. Low risk, high reward...just another arm for ST games. And he's a heck of a guy, from what I hear. Why not give him a shot, regardless of his age?
    His arm will probably go out at any minute. If he can mentor some of the younger pitchers then I'm all for it but other than that I just see it as a waste of money.

merker > stanton thats the way i see it

He no longer has the arm of a 40 year old though, unless he's been throwing baseballs with the ligaments which went into his new elbow.

I like it. If he bombs, big deal. If he makes the team, then he's earned it.

His arm will probably go out at any minute. If he can mentor some of the younger pitchers then I'm all for it but other than that I just see it as a waste of money.
    I think we're all arguing the same pointless argument here. They're giving a respected veteran (Mitchell report notwithstanding) a Spring Training cup of coffee. He's not going to push anyone out of their spot. If miraculously he's a live enough arm to make the roster, it's obviously in place of someone that had to earn their spot and didn't do it. No blood, no foul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

Lets give Gabe White another go-around too.

I like it. If it means less innings for Stanton, I'm all for it. He's got the smarts. It's not like he had a great pitch anyway. He didn't lose his mind while he was off too.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'm fine with it. Give the guy a shot and see what he does. Prior to his 2006 problems (4.13 ERA), he finished with ERAs of 3.65, 2.55, 2.35, and 1.06.

I don't care if he's 74. If he can post an ERA under 5, he'd be an improvement over last year's bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Doo-Rag View Post
    Lets give Gabe White another go-around too.
    No way he leaves his present job. He's the only one there who can fit into the Chuck E. Cheese costume.

got alil captain in u?

notting wrong with this move. If it works atta boy for wayne if it don't no big deal. Kent doesn't have what he used to and i don't expect him to put up much of a fight in spring training.

He's 37 years old and he just came off elbow surgery.
    According to Baseball-Reference.com, Mr Mercker turned 40 a week ago.

Or how about giving Pellend a chance. I'd rather have him getting an invite over Merker. I know its a risk to trust youngish relief pitchers. I know having a veteran bullpen automatically means a good one. Describing a player as and only as "veteran" automatically means he's a bad player

Turn Off Ads?