Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overrated/Underrated

Hybrid View

Overrated/Underrated

I just finished reading a book by Jayson Stark of espn.com about the most overrated and underrated players in baseball history, and out of curiousity, I wondered what kind of response a thread like that could get.

So, who's your most overrated active major league pitcher? How about hitter?

And to take it a step further, how about historically speaking? Granted, at 22 years old I haven't been around very long to judge anyone from before this era, so my insight wouldn't be so sharp there, but do any names stick out for some of the rest of you?

Re: Overrated/Underrated

Just off the top of my head, I think Mike Mussina has been very overrated for a long time. Also, it may be my hatred of all things Boston but David Ortiz is not the baseball god he is made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Just off the top of my head, I think Mike Mussina has been very overrated for a long time.
    Personally, I have a real hard time finding anything to not like about Mussina. He's basically had a borderline HOF career IMHO.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Personally, I have a real hard time finding anything to not like about Mussina. He's basically had a borderline HOF career IMHO.
    I agree, I think Mussina has been nails throughout his career.

As for overrated, I would say Barry Zito, but 2007 pretty much took care of that. Currently, I'd have to say that Joe Blanton and Dontrelle Willis are overrated.

I think Lance Berkman is EXTREMELY underrated, and you can say the same thing about Roy Oswalt.

IMO, the hype hasn't matched Ben Sheets reputation for a long time now, injuries or not. And I always thought Eric Chavez was overrated. A nice player and all, but not the kind of guy you're going to build a team or lineup around IMO.

Jeter = overrated. Really good player, but not as good as portrayed.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

David Ortiz is not the baseball god he is made out to be.
    Reason being?
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Jeter is extremely overrated.

Especially his defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

For underrated I nominate Adrian Gonzalez because he has to hit in Petco Park. For overrated I nominate Ivan Rodriguez because of his defense and 9 (!) walks last season.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

overrated....Andruw F. Jones....c'mon guys throw it low and away...and while I'll admit he plays a mean CF I still feel ill everytime he times a play so that he has to dive.

underrated....hard to argue with whoever said Lance Berkman...guy is money

Chris Young of the Padres is overrated.

Adrian Beltre is severely underrated and his contract is a good one.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Adrian Beltre is severely underrated and his contract is a good one.
    You're kidding right?

The guy has posted an OBP over .330 exactly twice in this decade (2000, 2004). His .801 OPS in 2007 was just his second season with a .800+ OPS since 2001 (1.017 in 2004).

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You're kidding right?

The guy has posted an OBP over .330 exactly twice in this decade (2000, 2004). His .801 OPS in 2007 was just his second season with a .800+ OPS since 2001 (1.017 in 2004).
    He's been everything the Ms wanted when they signed him. Considering what Safeco does to right-handed hitters, his bat has been just fine. His glove has been extraordinary.

When considering his bat and glove, Beltre was roughly a 3 win player in '06 and roughly a 4 win player in '07. He's been more valuable than Dunn over the last two seasons. What's more, the Ms are getting Beltre for sub-market rates.

Beltre is definitely underrated.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

He's been everything the Ms wanted when they signed him. Considering what Safeco does to right-handed hitters, his bat has been just fine. His glove has been extraordinary.

When considering his bat and glove, Beltre was roughly a 3 win player in '06 and roughly a 4 win player in '07. He's been more valuable than Dunn over the last two seasons. What's more, the Ms are getting Beltre for sub-market rates.

Beltre is definitely underrated.
    Take Safeway out of it. I just looked at his away stats his last 3 years and they're not so great:

2005 - .295 on base perc.
    2006 - .343 on base perc.
    2007 - .320 on base perc.

Considering the guy had a .404 away on base percentage in the year prior to getting the big contract, I highly doubt he's been "everything the M's wanted when they signed him."

I don't see him play enough to know if his defense makes up for some of it (I'm sure it does), but that's a LOT of outs in the batters box for a $13 million player, even if he's playing Scott Rolen quality defense.

I think most sane GMs would take Adam Dunn instead.
    How, then, are those people of the futureówho are taking steroids every dayógoing to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Just off the top of my head

Overrated:

1) Nolan Ryan: Certainly should be in the HOF and possibly one of the ten greatest pitchers ever but to many people discuss him as the greatest pitcher ever and I think thats foolish.

2) Reggie Jackson: Could hit HR's and certainly in the clutch but thats all he could do.....well besides cause trouble.

3) Ozzie Smith: He was very good but not that much better than Trammell and Concepcion who aren't in the HOF and who had a better all around game the Ozzie did.

4) Roger Maris: To many people argue for his induction into Cooperstown, but you need more than a few very good years to get in.

Underrated:

1) Bill Madlock: He doesn't deserve induction into Cooperstown but did win 4 batting titles and seems all but forgotten. Wade Boggs won five batting titles and was inducted into the HOF on the first ballot but Madlock didnt even come close.

2) Bert Blyleven: Why he is not in the HOF is a beyond me!!

3) Dick Allen: Superstar whose bad attitude and reputation sullied his legacy as a great hitter.

4) Dwight Evans: One of the greatest defensive right fielders ever and also had 385 HR's to go along with it. I think an argument can be made the he is just as HOF worthy as Jim Rice is but Evans never made it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?