Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overrated/Underrated

Overrated/Underrated

I just finished reading a book by Jayson Stark of espn.com about the most overrated and underrated players in baseball history, and out of curiousity, I wondered what kind of response a thread like that could get.

So, who's your most overrated active major league pitcher? How about hitter?

And to take it a step further, how about historically speaking? Granted, at 22 years old I haven't been around very long to judge anyone from before this era, so my insight wouldn't be so sharp there, but do any names stick out for some of the rest of you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Overrated/Underrated

Just off the top of my head, I think Mike Mussina has been very overrated for a long time. Also, it may be my hatred of all things Boston but David Ortiz is not the baseball god he is made out to be.

I think Lance Berkman is EXTREMELY underrated, and you can say the same thing about Roy Oswalt.

IMO, the hype hasn't matched Ben Sheets reputation for a long time now, injuries or not. And I always thought Eric Chavez was overrated. A nice player and all, but not the kind of guy you're going to build a team or lineup around IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Just off the top of my head, I think Mike Mussina has been very overrated for a long time.
    Personally, I have a real hard time finding anything to not like about Mussina. He's basically had a borderline HOF career IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Jeter = overrated. Really good player, but not as good as portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Personally, I have a real hard time finding anything to not like about Mussina. He's basically had a borderline HOF career IMHO.
    I agree, I think Mussina has been nails throughout his career.

As for overrated, I would say Barry Zito, but 2007 pretty much took care of that. Currently, I'd have to say that Joe Blanton and Dontrelle Willis are overrated.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

David Ortiz is not the baseball god he is made out to be.
    Reason being?

Jeter is extremely overrated.

Especially his defense.

For underrated I nominate Adrian Gonzalez because he has to hit in Petco Park. For overrated I nominate Ivan Rodriguez because of his defense and 9 (!) walks last season.

overrated....Andruw F. Jones....c'mon guys throw it low and away...and while I'll admit he plays a mean CF I still feel ill everytime he times a play so that he has to dive.

underrated....hard to argue with whoever said Lance Berkman...guy is money

Chris Young of the Padres is overrated.

Adrian Beltre is severely underrated and his contract is a good one.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Agreed on Jones being the epitome of overrated. Same thing with many Braves. Jeff Franceour looks to be the next generation of overratedness.

Historically, most underrated? Alan Trammell, to me, has been underrated as far as HOF votes. He was just a tick below Cal Ripken offensively and just as good with the leather, yet he receives no loves in Cooperstown. Not too many people watching Tiger games in the 80's. As far as a pitcher, Jack Morris belongs in the Hall, but Warren Spahn gets virtually no recognition. He might be the best pitcher of the modern era (he pitched in a hitter's era with little in the way of help), certainly in the top three. Yet, no one mentions his wins, longevity, and craft.

Overrated? Harmon Killebrew, for me. Al Kaline, too.

This has likely been kicked around before, but I'm curious if people think Brandon Phillips is a bit overrated, at least in terms of his offensive game.

As for underrated, I like Jayson Werth and Kevin Correia quite a bit. I think each has a nice skill set and could take a big step forward in 2008.
    Last edited by 11BarryLarkin11; 02-10-2008 at 10:24 PM.

This has likely been kicked around before, but I'm curious if people think Brandon Phillips is a bit overrated, at least in terms of his offensive game.
    Reds fans overrate him, but it seems like the 30/30 season should have garnered a little more national attention IMO.

Harang has to be on the underrated list. Bedard was also extremely underrated before this offseason trading thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Adrian Beltre is severely underrated and his contract is a good one.
    You're kidding right?

The guy has posted an OBP over .330 exactly twice in this decade (2000, 2004). His .801 OPS in 2007 was just his second season with a .800+ OPS since 2001 (1.017 in 2004).

Turn Off Ads?