Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds and Kenny Lofton linked according to Rosenthal

Reds and Kenny Lofton linked according to Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are interested in Kenny Lofton.
    Signing Lofton would seemingly lead to top prospect Jay Bruce beginning the season in the minors, as the Reds could go with a Lofton-Ryan Freel or Lofton-Norris Hopper platoon in center field. Even at 41 years old Lofton is a fine platoon starter, hitting .296 with a .367 on-base percentage last season.
    I could see that working out pretty well ... maybe

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds and Kenny Lofton linked according to Rosenthal

This will be Lofton's 10th team in 7 seasons. Wow. =) He's a good player in a platoon. I don't see him as an everyday option these days.

If only he was a right handed hitter id drive to pick him up

Mercker plus Wilison plus Lofton=no Blanton.
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    No Blanton = Good Thing for Reds

Only way we get Blanton is to over pay.

I'm not sure why we need to do anything at this point. I would be comfortable going with what we've got and seeing what happens. Chances are this isn't our year anyway.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    I don't understand your logic here. How does signing a 40 year old career reliever have anything to do with trading for a 28 year old starter? As I stated in another thread Mercker is a long shot to even make the team. Then to Wilson, if anything signing Wilson strengthens the speculation of trading for Blanton because then we have someone else to platoon with Hatte at First other than Votto.

I personally don't want them to make a trade for Blanton, he just gives up too many hits and I think he would not translate well to Great American.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

If we sign him then doesnt that mean no Bruce for another year?

I'm fine with this as long as it means the end of Ryan Freel. I understand getting an insurance policy on Bruce, but hopefully Freel is moved for something/anything before opening day.

If I had my pick Id take Freel over Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    If we sign him then doesnt that mean no Bruce for another year?
    Not necessarily...what are the odds of Jr. making through a whole season uninjured? Or even Freel? And at 41, you gotta figure even odds on Lofton getting injured at some point.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think Lofton is made out of rubber

I just don't see the sense in this. If you are going to give up Bruce for starting pitching, possibly, but that would be a very bad move. Under no circumstances would I give up Bruce in a Blanton trade. This would not surprise me since we already made a bad move in my book by giving up Hamilton for Volquez this off season.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    I just don't see the sense in this. If you are going to give up Bruce for starting pitching, possibly, but that would be a very bad move. Under no circumstances would I give up Bruce in a Blanton trade. This would not surprise me since we already made a bad move in my book by giving up Hamilton for Volquez this off season.
    Bruce isn't going anywhere, except Louisville. Probably for most of the year, depending on Junior.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I was waiting for something like this to happen. I could live with it. I wonder how his noodle arm is still in tact though. I would think this would mean the end of the road for either Freel or Hopper. Maybe Hopper (?) since Freel is the super sub with a fat pay check.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Pretty low risk move, he is still an average player and would have some trade value to a contender at the deadline if the Reds are out of it.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Turn Off Ads?