Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BA Handbook

BA Handbook

Got the BA handbook today. If I'm not allowed to share this stuff you guys can delete it.

-noted Stubbs "choking up" thing and said if the improvement was real, he could be a superstar
    -said Frazier has 20-25 HR potential, but needs to work on his wierd swing path
    -said Roenicke has a chance to be an ML closer with a fastball touching 98MPH and a cutter with tons of movement
    -said Soto should develop into a 25-30 homer threat
    -Viola was ranked 15th and throws 92-95 with an average slider
    -not a real inspiring report on Watson. They seem to believe a move to the bullpen is very likely. His fastball was evidently only 88-92 when in the rotation and he basically switched to an average slider when he couldn't get a feel for his knuckle-curve.
    -Bad report on Wood also. He's still got the plus-plus changeup, but he was throwing mid 80's for most of 2007 and even when healthy, was only throwing 88-91. It's starting to look like the chances of Wood regaining his high school velocity is not real good at this point.
    -Why is Pelland only throwing 90-92? Wasn't he throwing harder as a starter? I thought a little guy like him would be throwing gas once they moved him to the pen.
    -for some reason Dorn is #28...behind Jose Castro. Don't get that one.
    -Daryl Thompson was #18 last year. This year he pitched healthy the whole year, pitched well, and dropped completely off the list. Did he lose his stuff or what?
    -Apparently we think Valenzuela throws 91-96 with two potentially plus secondary pitches and could develop into a big league starter. The Braves thought he had average stuff with an 86-93MPH fastball and weren't upset to lose him. It'll be interesting to see if Wayne pulls something out of his butt with this one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA Handbook

-Apparently we think Valenzuela throws 91-96 with two potentially plus secondary pitches and could develop into a big league starter. The Braves thought he had average stuff with an 86-93MPH fastball and weren't upset to lose him. It'll be interesting to see if Wayne pulls something out of his butt with this one.
    That's very interesting, but how are we going to pull that off? Try to stash him in the bullpen for a year before we can send him down?

If Wayne hits on that, he gets made props.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    -Bad report on Wood also. He's still got the plus-plus changeup, but he was throwing mid 80's for most of 2007 and even when healthy, was only throwing 88-91. It's starting to look like the chances of Wood regaining his high school velocity is not real good at this point.
    Thats not really the same report that I got. While 88-91 is roughly right, I had reports of him hitting 92 and 93 when he was healthy, albeit sparringly. The Mid 80's was likely when he was injured and in instructional league he was back to his regular speeds.

-Why is Pelland only throwing 90-92? Wasn't he throwing harder as a starter? I thought a little guy like him would be throwing gas once they moved him to the pen.
    Also a different report from what I have seen. I had a report of him hitting 95 on the gun out of the bullpen this year. Could have just been one of those things I guess.

-for some reason Dorn is #28...behind Jose Castro. Don't get that one.
    While I certainly don't agree with it.... tools, defense and position all come into play with this one. Good fielding SS who is young for his level and held his own. Dorn shouldn't be that low....but Castro is a decent prospect.

-Daryl Thompson was #18 last year. This year he pitched healthy the whole year, pitched well, and dropped completely off the list. Did he lose his stuff or what?
    His velocity wasn't quite there this year from what I am hearing. That is probably what did him in.

Jared Burton much? He wasn't throwing all that hard until he went to the AFL then all of a sudden was throwing 3-4 MPH harder than he had been during the season.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If Valenzuela turns out to be a good pitcher, I'll never doubt anything Krivsky ever does again--even if it means keeping Juan Castro on the 25-man roster.

If Valenzuela turns out to be a good pitcher, I'll never doubt anything Krivsky ever does again--even if it means keeping Juan Castro on the 25-man roster.
    That's what I kind of liked about the pick...its ballsiness. Anyone can pick some AAAA pitcher in Rule 5 and say, "well, maybe he can help us as the 12th man". WK and the scouts are basically saying with this pick, "The heck with what everybody else thinks, the heck with the stats, the heck with everything- we think this guy can pitch, and we're willing to put a tiny little piece of our reputation on the line". I don't know if they're right, but you have to admire their hubris.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree with this post

I dont know how the Braves couldnt know what their own pitcher was throwing though.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    WK and the scouts are basically saying with this pick, "The heck with what everybody else thinks, the heck with the stats, the heck with everything- we think this guy can pitch.
    I actually have more problems with guys that don't have any clear flaw, and indeed throw the ball very well, yet can't get outs. It sounds like he SHOULD be getting outs, but can't. So how does he start to get outs? What does he work on, specifically, if he has no specific flaws other than outcome?

there's a thread on Josh Ravin with same problem. It sounds like there's no reason why he isn't throwing strikes, he just can't. So, how can he be expected to improve?

lots of guys threw like major leaguers, but couldn't get outs.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    That's what I kind of liked about the pick...its ballsiness. Anyone can pick some AAAA pitcher in Rule 5 and say, "well, maybe he can help us as the 12th man". WK and the scouts are basically saying with this pick, "The heck with what everybody else thinks, the heck with the stats, the heck with everything- we think this guy can pitch, and we're willing to put a tiny little piece of our reputation on the line". I don't know if they're right, but you have to admire their hubris.
    I can't see this as being a "heck with what everybody else thinks" move. If they flunk, the excuse is "all it cost us was $25k". That has been 95% of the moves of this regime. Low risk.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That has been 95% of the moves of any regime. Low risk.

Turn Off Ads?