Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Key Reds

Key Reds

I'm getting burned out on trade talk and what not so I took this thread from TRF in the ORG.

1.Which Red is the key to the rotation's success?

2. Which Red is the key to the bullpen's success?

3. Which Red is the key to the infield's success?

4. Which Red is the key to the outfield's success?

5. Which Red is the key to the offense' success?

1. Rotation: I'm going to go with Belisle. I think he's going to be in the rotation this year and its going to be crucial for him to bust out. He has the potential to be our #3 at the moment and we're going to need all the depth we can find. 3 Solid pitchers is 100x better than 2.

2. Bullpen: Burton. I think we know what we're going to get from Weathers and Cordero for the most part. Burton is one who really has to fill in the gap in the 6th and 7th. We have a lot of question marks in the rotation in those younger guys just aren't going to throw a lot of innings. Burton and the rest of the middle relief are going to be huge.

3. Infield: Gonzalez. Short is the most important position on the field and hopefully he'll return to his old form. I'm thinking his head will be into it this year. Hard to think about baseball when your son is in the hospital non stop.

4. Outfield: Whoever plays center. Its pretty simple, Dunn and Griffey have zero range. Center has got to have to wheels on him.

5. Offense: I expect a little digression from that crazy good season but even then he will still be productive. Everyone else has mostly been consistent except for EE. Phillips is the guy who could become our future stud along with Bruce. Ave, power and RBI from the middle of the order, he's huge.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Key Reds

1. I think for me its Belisle also. I think his pitch selection needs to improve and with more experience that should knock his HR rate down a bit.

2. Cordero. Last year this team had how many blown saves? 28?. Adding Cordero moved our best relievers back a slot.

3. Edwin playing improved D at 3rd should be nice. Although I reserve the right to change this answer to Alex Gonzalez.

4. This is probably the hardest one to answer for me because no one out there plays good enough D. Bruce could be the best defender out there this season if he makes the squad so I guess ill go with him.

5. With out question I think its Edwin again. We need a big year from his bat.

[QUOTE=Stephenk29;1551105]I'm getting burned out on trade talk and what not so I took this thread from TRF in the ORG.

1.Which Red is the key to the rotation's success?

Homer Bailey/Edinson Volquez

2. Which Red is the key to the bullpen's success?

Francisco Cordero, i know that he is expected to be good, but i think that is very vital to them being successful.

3. Which Red is the key to the infield's success?

Edwin Encarnacion, he needs to have the year we expected from him last year.

4. Which Red is the key to the outfield's success?

Ken Griffey Jr, we need to keep him on the field, if he's playing he'll produce

5. Which Red is the key to the offense' success?

Brandon Phillips, need him to be as solid as last year.

1. Homer--no pitcher in the system has had this kind of stuff in many years. The upside is unlimited. He could surprise and carry the Reds to the World Series this year or next.
    2. Brower--oddball choice, I know. I'm counting on Cordero, slightly weaker years from Burton and Weathers, but a healthy Brower could be almost like another Weathers and that foursome could be very powerful.
    3. EE--I look for a breakout year. The kid has already accomplished a lot, is only 25, and last year was jerked around by an incompetent manager. This is the beginning of a great career.
    4. Bruce--and Dusty. Bruce will make it clear he is the real deal, and I hope Dusty will stop worrying about bringing in mediocre veterans and go with this kid.

5. Bruce--possibly best Reds rookie since my all-time favorite player, F. Robinson.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

All answers have to do with today's roster. If there are any changes, the answers could as well....

1. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Affeldt. With Harang, Arroyo, Belisle and the winner of the Bailey/Volquez/Cueto sweepstakes, you've already got a predominantly right-handed staff. If Affeldt can be a league-average pitcher at his spot, it gives the Reds an effective left-handed starter.

2. The Javaman. Cordero will bring it. Weathers is back in his comfort zone as a set-up man. Burton and Bray should be fine. If Coffey can bounce back from his bowling shoe ugly 2007, the bullpen is that much better.

3. Gonzo. He was brought in because of his glovework. Phillips and EE will be steady at worst at 2B and 3B, and Votto and the rest of the 1B platoon can hopefully field 1B adequately. With that said, Gonzalez, provided the family is in a better way, should flash the leather he's known for.

4. The CF sweepstakes winner for the reasons listed above.

5. Ross. Just putting up numbers somewhere between his 2006 and 2007 campaigns will make for more opportunities for the rest of the lineup.
    Last edited by CarolinaRedleg; 02-12-2008 at 11:30 PM.

I thought of Affeldt as well. If we have all righties in the rotation I guess that wouldn't kill us as long as they are doing well. But throwing a lefty in the middle of a series can play some havic with a lineup card at least. Plus anyone that can improve the rotation is solid.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Delete this reply....I goofed
    Last edited by CarolinaRedleg; 02-12-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: messed up

I like the Ross pick, I honestly didnt think about him but him putting up a .750 ops would put him around 5th or so catcher in the NL in ops.

1. Homer Bailey. He has to really contribute if the Reds are to do anything this year.

2. Brad Salmon. I expect a big year out of him if he makes the roster.

3. Jeff Keppinger. He could end up starting in the infield if he shows last year was not a fluke.

4. Jay Bruce. Even if he doesn't make the team out of spring training, I expect him to make a difference this year.

5. Joey Votto- I think he easily could hit.300, with 20+ HR and 70 RBI.

Senor Votto

1. I think it's important that Bronson Arroyo rebounds and has a year like he did two years ago. Matt Belisle is also important that he improves from last year and throws a good amount of innings.

2. I'll have to go with Burton on this one. It's important that he does what he did in the 2nd half of 2007. If he can keep pitching like that then the bullpen should be fine.

3. Edwin will be the key for the infield offensively and defensively. Phillips and Gonzo are already Gold Glove caliaber players and from what I've seen of Votto he's not too bad with the glove. Edwin will have to lock down this infield defense and he will have to hit well all year.

4. Bruce will probably be the most important player in the outfield this year since the Reds are in desperate need of a all around player in Centerfield. Bruce has it all so he could feel this need. Personally I don't want to see Freel or Hopper starting in Centerfield this season.

5. Phillips and Edwin are the most important guys in the lineup right now. We know what Dunn will do good or bad. The lineup has too many lefty hitters but if Edwin and Brandon have good years at the plate then they should balance out the lineup a good bit. Phillips needs to do what he did last year. Edwin just needs to do what he did after he was called up last year.

1. Rotation: I think it has to be Belisle. He has been in the majors a few years now and started a full season, it is time for him to come through. If he doesn't, this could be a long year.

2. Bullpen: I think it's Burton too. He had a solid year last year but he's going to have to do it again. This bullpen is very shallow and he has to be the that 1st punch leading up to Weathers and Cordero.

3. Infield: Encarnacion. He played well at the end of last season and it has to continue, I really think Gonzalez, Phillips and Votto/Hatteberg will be fine.

4. Outfield: I would say Dunn because he just lumbers out there but it really is Freel/Hopper/Bruce/Lofton. They are going to have to take up for what we lose in left and somewhat in right.

5. Offense: The most important key period is finding a way to get on base and get more in. I know that's common sense but we don't seem to do it. We rely way too much on the home run to produce runs. Clutch hitting will be the key (RISP) and I think Encarnacion and Votto are the most important b/c Dunn and Griffey will produce power, whoever plays center will have some speed, Phillips may be the best and we probably won't get much out of the shortstop or catcher positions offensively. Votto and Encarnacion need to produce

1. Its got to be Bailey for me. If he steps it up well have 3 solid starters and maybe 4, depending on Belisle.

2. Burton. If he performs like the second half the bullpen will be fine in my opinion.

3. Encarnacion. With solid glove work and a righty power bat i think he can stabelize the infield and line up some what.

4. Bruce becasue of his denfensive capabilities and the all world potential he brings with the bat.

5. If Dunn can put together another good to monster season (which i think he is primed for) the offense should be just fine with all the hitters we have in the line up.

Turn Off Ads?