Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you trade for Blanton?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bailey or Cueto, +Votto, +AAA/AA prospect

1 1.18%
  • Bailey or Cueto, +AAA/AA prospect (or two)

9 10.59%
  • Votto + AAA/AA prospect (or two)

12 14.12%
  • 3-4 not MLB-ready prospects (i.e. anybody not named Bailey/Cueto/Votto/Volquez)

58 68.24%
  • No way, no how, no trade for Blanton

5 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Who would YOU trade for Blanton

POLL: Who would YOU trade for Blanton

Already done in the ORG, but incomplete IMO, so let's see how the SunDeck figures in.

I am not including Bruce, and not including any scenarios where more comes back in the deal.

Don't think of what you'd PREFER to trade, think of your ABSOLUTE threshold, your MAX limit

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Last edited by BLEEDS; 02-13-2008 at 04:39 PM.
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: POLL: Who would YOU trade for Blanton

picked the 4th option, and there is no chance I change my mind about it.

Most I would trade is Maloney and some other prospects that aren't the big 4.
    Most Vottomatic Player

I picked Votto + AAA/AA prospect. But man I had to hover for a long time over the selection with my mouse before I clicked it.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

There are enough prospects in the system other than the untouchable 5 that will pan out either here or somewhere in the next 2-3 years. That is the most I'd give up. There are too many guys that got what it takes at more than one position for the Reds to hang on to all of them anyway. (For one, look at 3rd base up and down the system).

#4 for me. Though I like Blanton , I would not include the big boys in a trade.
    Haren ? Yes ! Bedard ? Yes ! Santana? Yes !
    Blanton, No. A few days ago, I would have said yes to Bailey but my mind has changed since then.

Bailey and a mid level prospect from AAA.

I think a deal could be done without one of the Big 4. I would start with Maloney, Stubbs, Keppinger and go from there.

I've decided on option #4 as well. I decided on it after reading RedsManRick's excellent post on the ORG entitled "Cueto, Belisle, Bailey, Maloney, Volquez" (maybe not in that order). You should go read it, but the best line was this:

"And I think it should give up pause about the "need" to go out and trade multiple prospects for a proven league average guy. As you make that assertion, are you comparing that veteran to Reds rotations of the last decade, or to the crew of guys likely to man the rotation in 2008 and beyond?"

I'd have killed for a couple of league average starters for most of my Reds-watching life. But now is not then.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I've decided on option #4 as well. I decided on it after reading RedsManRick's excellent post on the ORG entitled "Cueto, Belisle, Bailey, Maloney, Volquez" (maybe not in that order). You should go read it, but the best line was this:

"And I think it should give up pause about the "need" to go out and trade multiple prospects for a proven league average guy. As you make that assertion, are you comparing that veteran to Reds rotations of the last decade, or to the crew of guys likely to man the rotation in 2008 and beyond?"

I'd have killed for a couple of league average starters for most of my Reds-watching life. But now is not then.
    I read that thread, and there are just as many guys who disagreed with that sentiment as there were who agreed.

I'm somewhere in the middle. While I love the PROMISE that all these guys have, I don't necessarily want to wait to see how 1 or 2 of them maybe DON'T pan out, while watching this teams' current window (08-09) close.

Sure, I'd LOVE for us to trade only prospects not named Bailey/Cueto/Votto/Volquez for Blanton, but I'd put my LIMIT at Bailey or Cueto and some other non-MLB ready prospects, so I chose that one.

I think people WAY undervalue what a 200+ inning "league average (or better)" ERA horse would do for this team. It would also save us from having to ask these young guys to pitch 160+ innings in the Bigs this year, something none of them is really ready for yet, IMO.

Best case scenario - Bailey AND Cueto start the year out in AAA, but I don't see that happening without making a trade for a proven vet (i.e. Affeldt is not the answer).

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Good poll, I too hovered over my decision (3 vs. 4). In the end I ended up with 4. I don't consider Blanton valuable enough to trade our best 1B or possible stud pitching prospect. I agree that the other pitchers we have pursued did have enough value to do so.

Bleed, I agree that Blanton's greatest value is in eating up innings and that is a great attribute when you have young pitchers to develop. It would be ironic to trade the same young pitching for that attribute. Thus, the reason I only considered trading Votto...I just couldn't pull the trigger.
    "Pitching is the art of instilling fear by making a man flinch." - Sandy Koufax

Old Red Guard Reject

I picked #4. Stubbs, Maloney and two others. I wish we could've gotten in on the Haren deal instead.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I dont think all our young guys will pan out but Id hate to trade Blanton for one and find out we traded the wrong guy guy down the road.

Blanton's not Haren so why trade as much or more value for him.Oakland set the precedent .The market is right for Oakland,Cincinnati should have patience,as said before Blanton is not going to give the same as Bedard or Haren.Krivsky made this mistake with Nationals,hope it doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Bailey and a mid level prospect from AAA.

x2. Smartest guy on the board so far.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?