Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Opinions wanted: Keeper league

Opinions wanted: Keeper league

OK, I'm in a 10 team 3 player keeper league. I couldn't ask for 3 better keepers, I have ARod, Reyes, and Utley. I won this league last year so my 1st non keeper picks will come at #40 and #41.

My question is, what would be your strategy as far as these 2 picks? I am almost certain that the only 2 pitchers that will be kept are Johan and Peavy. Would you take 2 offensive players with these picks and then most likely dominate nearly every offensive category, or would you take 2 starters here and then have the beginning of a very balanced team? Of course I could always take my #1 pitcher and the best available OF or 1B as well.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opinions wanted: Keeper league

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    OK, I'm in a 10 team 3 player keeper league. I couldn't ask for 3 better keepers, I have ARod, Reyes, and Utley. I won this league last year so my 1st non keeper picks will come at #40 and #41.

My question is, what would be your strategy as far as these 2 picks? I am almost certain that the only 2 pitchers that will be kept are Johan and Peavy. Would you take 2 offensive players with these picks and then most likely dominate nearly every offensive category, or would you take 2 starters here and then have the beginning of a very balanced team? Of course I could always take my #1 pitcher and the best available OF or 1B as well.

Thoughts?
    Draft the best SP and 1B

wouldn't your first picks come at #31?
    anyway.
    I would probably take the best offensive player available, and the a solid SP.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

I would take the two best players. Sounds simple doesn't it? This is based off the assumption that trading is easily accomplishable in your league...

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Without actually being able to watch the flow of the draft it's almost impossible to tell but it's probably safe to say that most will be keeping 3 offensive players and as you say likely Peavy and Santana will be mixed in. The conservative part of me would take the best SP and the best power outfield bat available, part of me would strongly consider either taking 2 SP's and then then pick up 2 offensive guys the next time around or go 2 more power bats and then 2 SP's. That of course would depend on who is available. It would be hard to turn down Beckett, Webb, CC, or Bedard if available for your 1st 2 picks.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    wouldn't your first picks come at #31?
    anyway.
    I would probably take the best offensive player available, and the a solid SP.
    We have 3 keepers x 10 teams and I pick last because I won the league last season. So picking last in the "4th round" would put me at 40 and 41.

Take the best player available, regardless of position...... that being said, I've won leagues where I didn't take a pitcher until the 9th round.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Take the best player available, regardless of position...... that being said, I've won leagues where I didn't take a pitcher until the 9th round.
    BINGO!

I would look to take at least one pitcher with my first 2 picks...then take best available. If it happens to be 2 pitchers, then so be it.

There is no reason to get pitching so quickly. 10 team isn't very deep and there are plenty of options at P. The difference between Beckett and Lilly 5W, 20K, and 0.50 ERA. Everything else was even last year, yet Beckett will be taken 8+ rounds earlier. You should go for an OF most likely. Maybe someone with all 5 cat.

To people who say, Best player.... that's complete junk. You adapt to weaknesses during the draft, position scarcity (but he's fine), and stats. But this league is so shallow that most people will end up with great players at most positions. You need the elite at wherever you can get. The difference between pitching is so small it doesn't make a big difference.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Unless Johan is out there early, I'd go with what everyone has said - pitching is so much more volitale and you can pick up solid picks later. Someone like Matt Cain - who is a stud - will go way late where as a big time bat is much harder to steal late.

Turn Off Ads?