Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-13-08. Thom was the host tonight. Thom said that he didn't want to talk about the steroid hearings today and then proceeded to talk about them. He found it mind boggling why these guys would lie. He then talked a bit about the county Sarasota is in allocating funds for renovating the ST stadium.

After commercial the first caller asked when the first broadcast is and what are Craig Wilson's chances of making the team. Thom said that he didn't think he has too good of a shot because of the OF depth but he does play 1st. He said he has had some good yeas even though he strikes out a lot. He said when he puts the bat on the ball he hits it a long ways and is pretty versatile for not being real athletic. (He's no Steve Finley) Thom said the first broadcast will be on Feb 27.

The next caller asked what the status is on the grievance the Reds filed against the Nats and is it typical for the decision to take this long. (No kidding. There have been babies born that are walking and talking since this grievance was filed.) Thom said that he didn't know how you rectify something like that. (Gee, I don't know. Money, a player, a draft pick, revoking JimBo's shopping privileges at Wilson's) He said there's no new news these grievances are filed infrequently. He doesn't have any idea and no ones talking about it.

After commercial, the next caller said that Clemens' ego has convinced himself that he is telling the truth. ("If you believe it, it's not a lie" - George Costanza) Thom said that someone is lying and someone is telling the truth and he can't understand what leads someone to lie and lie and lie. The caller asked who has the most to lose in this situation. The caller asked what could Lofton bring to the Reds. Thom said he could bring a great deal to the Reds. He said he's not endorsing signing him but Lofton serves as a LH leadoff hitter who can play CF and is still a good player. If the Reds don't feel Bruce is ready, Thom said Lofton would be an excellent fallback. The caller said he would bring good character in the clubhouse. Thom said that earlier in his career he wasn't the most liked guy in the world. He said he used to be extremely standoffish, bad with the fans and press and could get away with it cause he was so great. However he has heard he has mellowed somewhat in recent years. He said he's not a troublemaker but just not the most popular guy.

The next caller asked about a possible Joe Blanton trade. He wouldn't trade our best young players for him and said he's mediocre. Thom said he's not Dan Haren but he's a good pitcher. He said the dilemma is if you bring him in and pay him a lot of money for the next few years or gamble the young pitchers can match those numbers. Thom said he'd rather see the young guys take their lumps than trade the future.

The next caller asked why the Reds would go after Paul Bako. Thom said he had no idea. The caller asked about Josh Fogg. Thom said there were rumors about him and he's still unsigned. He goes on about Livan Hernandez signing with the Twins and proclaimed his undying love for him.

After commercial the next caller is afraid that Blanton could be another Milton. Thom said he wouldn't for a second compare the two. Blanton is much younger, and Milton had a lot of years in MIN where he didn't do anything. Blanton hasn't been in the big leagues a real long time but he has been successful. The caller asked if getting Lofton would hinder Bruce's ABs. (Of course it wouldn't. Bruce would be getting plenty of ABs in LOU. Where do they get these guys?) Thom said it would definitely make a statement and that's an interesting dilemma. The caller asked who the leadoff hitter would be if Bruce is starting in CF. Thom said it would have to be Bruce. Thom compared him to Grady SIzemore and thinks Bruce can handle whatever is thrown at him. (Yeah, but can he handle Ryan Freel running into him?)

The next caller whined about the steroid hearings. Thom said that some good has come out of them like stricter tests. The caller also whined about the Reds trading Josh Hamilton and possibly bringing in Lofton. Thom said Josh is very talented but they wonder how durable he is and the Reds need pitching. The caller continued to whine about how the Reds rent veteran players for a year or so and stunt the young players' growth. Thom said that there are still a lot of good young players on this team and they are heading in the right direction.

After commercial the next caller asked what Cueto's chances of making the Reds out of ST were. Thom said that he would like to think they are very good. the 4th and 5th spots are wide open and Browning said that Cueto is very savvy and polished and is only 22 years old.

The next caller wanted to know if other GMs are asking for more from Wayne than they are from other GMs as far as trading goes. Thom said he can't blame them for asking. The caller wanted to know if the other GMs don't respect Wayne enough to ask for lesser players. Thom said that that isn't the case. (Interesting question...for once)

After commercial the next caller asked if they could name the stadium for Joe. Thom said he didn't know and they are gong to do a lot of things for Joe and when you look around the stadium, you see the "rounding third..." thing on the stadium and his statue outside.

The next caller felt if the Reds made another trade for a pitcher they could make the playoffs. Thom said that the Reds need to have a lot of things go right. He said that over the last several years, teams who have gotten at least 60 wins out of their rotation have made the playoffs. He asked if there were 60 wins in this rotation. He said there are going to have to be 2-3 guys to do what they never have done and have Arroyo and Harang stay healthy. The caller asked about Lofton and he thinks it would be a good move since he's a proven veteran.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-13-08. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Hot Stove League show report

It's getting harder to find recurring elements in these shows. Only one Nuxhall reference this week. Most of the callers sound eager for some pitcher, any pitcher that they haven't seen before.

If I had been Thom, I would have suggested to the caller who asked that the stadium could have been named for Joe if only someone had thought to set up a multimillion-dollar endowment to cover the naming rights.

Thanks for taking the time to compile and post this, Chip.
    /r/reds

So

Lofton 2007 > Finley 2006
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The next caller asked what the status is on the grievance the Reds filed against the Nats...He doesn't have any idea and no ones talking about it.
    Maybe because no ones asking the Reds brass about it?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Thanks again for the report Chip. Much appreciated, as always.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Chip, thanks again for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Maybe because no ones asking the Reds brass about it?
    I'm beginning to think we should start up a RedsZone pool for the month and year when that grievance will finally be "resolved" ... if it ever is resolved.

It's only February so far in 2008, but I might have to pull out the 2009 calendar to find a good month.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

This caller "whined" and that caller "whined". Chip, I love your reports! Your take is dead on fun and interesting! - straight ahead, baby!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm beginning to think we should start up a RedsZone pool for the month and year when that grievance will finally be "resolved" ... if it ever is resolved.

It's only February so far in 2008, but I might have to pull out the 2019 calendar to find a good month.

I fixed that for you.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Thanks Chip
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It's getting harder to find recurring elements in these shows. Only one Nuxhall reference this week. Most of the callers sound eager for some pitcher, any pitcher that they haven't seen before.

If I had been Thom, I would have suggested to the caller who asked that the stadium could have been named for Joe if only someone had thought to set up a multimillion-dollar endowment to cover the naming rights.

Thanks for taking the time to compile and post this, Chip.
    I pretty much don't want to see the pitchers I have seen, ever again.....unless maybe they are pitching for some other team the Reds play all the time.

I was looking forward to seeing guys named Santana, or Bedard, or even Blanton.

I keep asking the question and nobody answers it.

Does anybody really believe that 4 pitchers from AAA to AA in the Reds system will end up as 4/5ths of the rotation anywhere down the line? I am talking about Bailey, Volquez, Cueto and Maloney.

Developing pitcher just doesn't work that way.

So, why is it such a crime to trade one of them who won't make a major league starter anyway for a proven starter that can win this year, next year, and maybe beyond?

Wow. That sure sounds like a ton of commercials.

Another great job of coverage by Chip R.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

We need to get Chip to replace Thom or the Poofy-haired One.

Much more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I pretty much don't want to see the pitchers I have seen, ever again.....unless maybe they are pitching for some other team the Reds play all the time.

I was looking forward to seeing guys named Santana, or Bedard, or even Blanton.

I keep asking the question and nobody answers it.

Does anybody really believe that 4 pitchers from AAA to AA in the Reds system will end up as 4/5ths of the rotation anywhere down the line? I am talking about Bailey, Volquez, Cueto and Maloney.

Developing pitcher just doesn't work that way.

So, why is it such a crime to trade one of them who won't make a major league starter anyway for a proven starter that can win this year, next year, and maybe beyond?
    Let's follow the logic you've been presenting the last day or so - why would the other teams accept one of these bums from us since you've clearly stated they won't hack it anyway?

It's always a long shot for any player, particularly a pitcher, to make it in the majors. But this is the best group of young pitchers the Reds have had in a long time. But you're suggesting any number of them could have netted a top major league ready pitcher even though you're saying they're going to be dreck.

And you're going to win GM of the Year how?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Let's follow the logic you've been presenting the last day or so - why would the other teams accept one of these bums from us since you've clearly stated they won't hack it anyway?

It's always a long shot for any player, particularly a pitcher, to make it in the majors. But this is the best group of young pitchers the Reds have had in a long time. But you're suggesting any number of them could have netted a top major league ready pitcher even though you're saying they're going to be dreck.

And you're going to win GM of the Year how?
    Well, the currency of the day has answered your question.....no one seems willing to take as of yet.

And I don't think anyone will unless the Reds throw in some very good position player prospects......guys named Votto or Bruce or even establsihed players such as Dunn (I know what his contract reads) or Phillips.

Other teams have made these deals.....and for what many here have voiced as much less than the Reds offered.

BTW.....I didn't say these pitchers were going to be dreck (whatever that is), I just pointed out that 4 of them probably aren't going to make it at the same time. It would be WK's task (to win GM of the Year) to figure out which one wasn't and trade him before he proves he isn't and his value is in the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Well, the currency of the day has answered your question.....no one seems willing to take as of yet.

And I don't think anyone will unless the Reds throw in some very good position player prospects......guys named Votto or Bruce or even establsihed players such as Dunn (I know what his contract reads) or Phillips.

Other teams have made these deals.....and for what many here have voiced as much less than the Reds offered.

BTW.....I didn't say these pitchers were going to be dreck (whatever that is), I just pointed out that 4 of them probably aren't going to make it at the same time. It would be WK's task (to win GM of the Year) to figure out which one wasn't and trade him before he proves he isn't and his value is in the toilet.
    dreck /drɛk/–noun Slang.

1. excrement; dung.
    2. worthless trash; junk.
    I hadn't read your comments as indicating that you were stating the four wouldn't make it all at the same time. But I'll allow you that caveat. No one's ever a sure bet, that is certain. But we have no idea what various packages other teams have requested except that both the O's and the A's have looked for multiples of blue chip prospects, something I think the Reds have correctly refused to give.

You seem intent on believing virtually none of these guys are likely to make it. I think we've got the best group of young arms we've seen in decades. I'll take my chances for the long term with seeing how that plays out. I've been around long enough to know that success moves in cycles and we stand a better chance over the long haul not mortgaging our future for one year of success.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?