Proposed NCAA football rule changes

Thought this was of interest...

http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sp...urst_0213.html

NCAA extends play clock
    Pace of play addressed again by rules committee

By TONY BARNHART
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 02/13/08

Two years ago the NCAA Football Rules committee, concerned that games were running too long, put in a series of changes in hopes of speeding things up.

They worked. In 2006 the average game time dropped from 3:21 to 3:07 but fans and coaches howled because there were about 13 fewer plays and five fewer points per game than in 2005.

So last season college football went back to the old rules and the bad news is that games averaged 3:22, a minute longer than in 2005. The good news is that plays and scoring also went back to the desired 2005 levels.

In an attempt to produce more plays and points in a shorter game, the rules committee went back to the drawing board and on Wednesday recommended a few changes for the upcoming season.

"Hopefully this time we got it right," said Michael Clark, the chairman of the rules committee and head coach at Bridgewater (Va.) College.

The first is the implementation of a 40/25-second play clock, similar to that of the NFL. At the end of every play, the 40-second clock will start, which is the rule in the NFL. The old college rules featured a 25-second clock that did not start until the officials marked the ball ready for play. On a change of possession, the first play will be run on a 25-second clock.

A number of college coaches have said they wanted the 40-second play clock because officials from league to league used different amounts of time to mark the ball ready for play.

"We think this will give us some consistency when it comes to pace of play," said Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, who is a member of the rules committee.

"If the NFL boys are doing it we seem to want to do it, too," South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said. "I think it favors the teams that run the no-huddle. That gives the quarterback a bunch more time to stand up there and read the defense."

The rules committee made another recommendation that will certainly shorten the game.

After a player runs out of bounds and the ball is made ready to play, the official will start the game clock. Under the old rules the game clock would not start until the ball was snapped. This new rule will not apply in the final two minutes of the first half and the final two minutes of the game.

In other recommended rules changes announced Tuesday:

• A coach will get an extra instant replay challenge if his first one is upheld. Under the old rule the coach had only one challenge whether he was right or wrong. Under the new rule the coach, if he's right, will get one extra challenge, but no more.

• If a kickoff goes out of bounds, the receiving team will have the option of taking the ball on its own 40-yard line. The previous rule gave the receiving team the ball on the 35-yard line.

• The incidental five-yard facemask penalty will be eliminated. Only the 15-yard facemask penalties will be called.

• A "horse collar" tackle, where the defender grabs inside the back collar of the shoulder pads to pull the runner down, will now be a personal foul.

• There will no longer be sideline warnings for players and coaches who crowd onto the field during the game. The official may assess a five-yard penalty without a warning for the infraction.

The recommendations must still be reviewed and given final approval by the NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets in April.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Proposed NCAA football rule changes

I hate outlawing the horse collar tackle. Is this a contact sport? I know its dangerous, but so is getting tackled by 300 pound lineman-football is inherently dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I hate outlawing the horse collar tackle. Is this a contact sport? I know its dangerous, but so is getting tackled by 300 pound lineman-football is inherently dangerous...
    To play devils advocate should every tackle be legal such as the face mask tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    To play devils advocate should every tackle be legal such as the face mask tackle?
    :stumped:

I'm wondering about the facemask call as well. Will "incidental grasping" of the facemask no longer be a penalty or will it be the 15 yarder now as well. Either way, I don't think I like the change.

The rest... ehh... I think the 40 second clock will shorten games, but make them lower scoring as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

A coach will get an extra instant replay challenge if his first one is upheld. Under the old rule the coach had only one challenge whether he was right or wrong. Under the new rule the coach, if he's right, will get one extra challenge, but no more.
    I like this idea. Hopefully it will be a rare thing that two challenges are upheld in the same half.
    /r/reds

If a kickoff goes out of bounds, the receiving team will have the option of taking the ball on its own 40-yard line. The previous rule gave the receiving team the ball on the 35-yard line.
    this is a good idea too in the continuing fight to discourage teams from kicking away from return men

I don't like the face-mask change. I believe incidental 5-yard penalties should be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I like this idea. Hopefully it will be a rare thing that two challenges are upheld in the same half.
    I really like the college instant replay system. I like it because all the calls come from the booth and the ultimate decision comes from someone who is not officiating the game. I always wonder if it ever sneaks into the back of an NFL official's head about protecting the call his fellow official made. I doubt its blatant but I would think that it has a little inkling when a call is not reversed.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I don't like the face-mask change. I believe incidental 5-yard penalties should be an option.
    My reading of the change is that incidental face-mask contact will no longer be a penalty, which makes sense. If it actually means that any face-mask contact = automatic 15-yarder, than I'm right with you.
    /r/reds

To play devils devils advocate, did they wear shirts in the nascent days of football?

Unless the wear of shirts is an "add-on" like facemasks (and to some degree helmets even), I see no reason to change the rules regarding collar tackles now.

Why stop there? Tackling at the knees tends to lead to more knee injuries. Tackling high tends to lead to more head, neck, and spine injuries. Let's just require the tackler to run alongside the ball carrier and grab them gently at the waist while applying negative acceleration until they both near zero velocity. At that point the tackler could ask, kindly of course, for the ball carrier to take a knee. Should he refuse, the tackler must then drag him to the nearest sidelines and force him out of bounds, lest anyone risk the injury of colliding with the ground. I bet it would speed up the game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    My reading of the change is that incidental face-mask contact will no longer be a penalty, which makes sense. If it actually means that any face-mask contact = automatic 15-yarder, than I'm right with you.
    great. More subjectivity. Like the refs were particularly proficient with fewer decisions to make.

The good thing about having the five yarder there, was even if you (as a fan) don't think it was a minor infraction, at least the team using the facemask didn't get full benefit from it. Now it's going to be up to the refs. I'm guessing there will be games when similar "infractions" are not called equally between the respective participants.

Why does the clock stop on first downs to move the chains? It's ridiculous. That should be eliminated.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Why does the clock stop on first downs to move the chains? It's ridiculous. That should be eliminated.
    i actually like that rule and would like it in the NFL too.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i actually like that rule and would like it in the NFL too.
    Same here. Particularly in the last 5 minutes or so of each half.

Turn Off Ads?