"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House
"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House
These all look good to me.In other recommended rules changes announced Tuesday:
• A coach will get an extra instant replay challenge if his first one is upheld. Under the old rule the coach had only one challenge whether he was right or wrong. Under the new rule the coach, if he's right, will get one extra challenge, but no more.
• If a kickoff goes out of bounds, the receiving team will have the option of taking the ball on its own 40-yard line. The previous rule gave the receiving team the ball on the 35-yard line.
• The incidental five-yard facemask penalty will be eliminated. Only the 15-yard facemask penalties will be called.
• A "horse collar" tackle, where the defender grabs inside the back collar of the shoulder pads to pull the runner down, will now be a personal foul.
• Any Big Ten team will hereby be spotted 14 points in any future national championship game against a team from the SEC.
• There will no longer be sideline warnings for players and coaches who crowd onto the field during the game. The official may assess a five-yard penalty without a warning for the infraction.
The recommendations must still be reviewed and given final approval by the NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets in April.
The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.
Cleats getting stuck in the turf have caused more severe/frequent leg injuries, so lets propose they play barefoot too.
Helmet to Helmet contact is at best subjectively illegal. There isn't much consistency with how it is called, even from the same team of officials within the same game.
Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.
I'm fine with the 40s clock but I hope they reject the clock starts on out of bounds plays. This rule is only in place to shorten the game. If you want to shorten the game don't change the rules based on how many minutes are left in the half. Just shorten the 15 minute periods, however I like the 3:30 hr college games. Why would I want fewer plays in a product I enjoy? That's like a chocolate lover saying they'd like Hershey to shrink their candy bars.