Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Campus shooting at Northern Illinois University

Campus shooting at Northern Illinois University

There has been a campus shooting today at Northern Illinois University. It looks like about 15 people have been shot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567/

DEKALB, Ill. - A gunman opened fire in a lecture hall on the campus of Northern Illinois University, and more than a dozen people were reported injured.

WBBM in Chicago reported that a man with a shotgun began shooting in a lecture hall, and the (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle reported that police said on a scanner that the man had a shotgun and a pistol.

Hospitals in the area were told to expect up to 15 injured people.

The university issued an alert at 3:20 p.m. CT telling students to avoid Kings Common and buildings in that area. A spokeswoman confirmed that the shooting occurred.

The university was locked down, and students reportedly were calling from the library.

The Daily Chronicle reporteed that at least two people are reported down in DuSable Hall, and one person had blood on the back of the head, according to eyewitness reports. It could not be confirmed if it was from a gunshot.

Police have established a perimeter around Cole Hall, and 15-20 emergency vehicles were in the area.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Campus shooting at Northern Illinois University

I was right there eating at Chipotle on campus. I'm in shock.

I have friends that go there, I hope they are okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

18 victims, 2 dead (inculding shooter) according to the NIU student newspaper.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Madness. Sadness. I just don't understand the need to lash out like this.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I was right there eating at Chipotle on campus. I'm in shock.

I have friends that go there, I hope they are okay.
    Glad to hear you're alright reds44 and I hope all your friends are alright too.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    18 victims, 2 dead (inculding shooter) according to the NIU student newspaper.
    I saw on CNN that they were listing two dead, but she also said that 3 were dead. Is it possible the two doesn't count the shooter?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I saw on CNN that they were listing two dead, but she also said that 3 were dead. Is it possible the two doesn't count the shooter?
    Yeah you are right, I misunderstood what they said.

It's right there.....I'm in shock.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What's with these people?

4th school shooting in just the past week.

Is there an end in sight to this stuff? Are there any solutions? I thought the school shooting "fad" if you will would disappear but the recent rash of them dating back to Virginia Tech has been particularly disturbing. You can add this to the thread of the things I don't get. What is it? Increased violence in movies and video games? Decline in parental roles? Something in the psychology? New drugs and medicine?

There always has been and there always will be crime and murders and violence but this seems to be getting a bit absurd...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Has anybody ever seen Bowling for Columbine? It's a Michael Moore movie about the Columbine shooting, and about guns in the United States. It shows some really freaky stuff, that really suprised me. I think about it every time something like this happens. It's sad how things like this can happen when and where you least expect them.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I read another Dave Matthews Band forum and one of the kids on there was in the classroom when it happened...

He started a thread about an hour and a half after it happened before it was picked up by CNN and the like.

The website is www.antsmarching.org and there is a thread about it in the nonDMB forum. As a warning, there are a lot of rude people over there making dumb comments and using some vulgar language so be warned.

The user posting is "JaJunk" and here are a few of his quotes from the thread:

Kid Just Opened Fire With A Shotgun
    in my classroom at Northern Illinois University. Opened fire from point blank range with a shotgun, aimed initially at professor. I heard three shots go off before managing to run out to the road. God help this country.

professor and others dead. count on it. i'm a wreck man. in my classroom. cole 101

5 people on stretchers so far, local news is saying. i've already called home, but i live in carbondale. nowhere to go. opened fire 20 feet from professor with a shotgun. school on lockdown.

luckily i was in the back of the room. kid came in from media room onto the stage.

Really unbelievable to see something like that unfold. As a college student, each of these incidents really hits home as I know people at NIU as well as Va Tech last year. Also just makes me wonder how safe I really am in class or walking around campus.

It's a shame that students in the classroom have no ability to fight back against these sickos. Their only defense is to run away or sit and wait for the police and hope they get there before the sicko gets to them. When it becomes a consistent pattern of studets, or mall shoppers, or church goers putting these nuts down, the "alure" of doing this will go away.

Most local news orginizations don't publicize suicides in their area unless they are high-profile. But everyday, run of the mill folks killing themselves doesn't get a lot of press in an effort to keep from glamorizing it. I'd like to see more news orginizations have a hand-shake agreement to not publicize these events so that lunitics are cut off from the attention they aparently crave. Will never happen, and woln't solve the problem, but I think it'd help.

Just my opinion.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?