Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 147

Thread: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

  1. #61
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Steel, I have done the math. It adds up.

    I don't know if you are just trying to disprove it because you don't like it or what, but the numbers work. Whether you think Bailey can attain them or not should have no bearing on what we are talking about. You claim with his peripherals its not possible that he would have this ERA. I have shown otherwise.

    Lets just assume that his 140 innings works out to 610 batters faced (2005 and 2006 guys with 138-142 innings have between 555 and 640 BF).

    17 HR
    53 BB
    120 K
    610 BF
    1 IBB
    5 HBP

    Those numbers right there put Bailey's true DIPS at 4.20.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,359

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Steel, I have done the math. It adds up.

    I don't know if you are just trying to disprove it because you don't like it or what, but the numbers work. Whether you think Bailey can attain them or not should have no bearing on what we are talking about. You claim with his peripherals its not possible that he would have this ERA. I have shown otherwise.

    Lets just assume that his 140 innings works out to 610 batters faced (2005 and 2006 guys with 138-142 innings have between 555 and 640 BF).

    17 HR
    53 BB
    120 K
    610 BF
    1 IBB
    5 HBP

    Those numbers right there put Bailey's true DIPS at 4.20.
    Actually, using the complete DIPS 2.0 formula to estimate Batters Faced using the arbitrary Hit/9 numbers you came up with, Bailey's DIPS ERA would be 4.14. It's amazing, ain't it? That DIPS ERA just keeps going down. And I'm not at all surprised that a pitcher with the peripherals you suggest would project that sort of DIPS ERA. But DIPS ERA isn't the issue.

    Considering your projection of only 124 Base Hits (which is an underestimation of around at least 10 and possibly as many as 25 considering his defense) you're now overshooting his Batter's Faced projection. In fact, to get to 610 BF using the peripherals you suggest, Bailey would have to give up at least 145 Base Hits or project a larger (and more reasonable) BB rate.

    You're not "projecting" DIPS ERA in your original post, doug. You're trying to tell us what actual ERA will be without considering how Hit rate, DER, or park would affect it. And you have unintentionally projected either poor or good BABIP luck for pitchers when you concocted a bunch of the Hit rates on your list, doug. Then there's the secondary issue that artifically suppressing Base Hits may also artificially suppress Home Runs.

    When you begin with an ERA of 4.31 and then artificially suppress a pitcher's hit rate (as you've done with Bailey), you're also artificially suppressing the ERA.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  4. #63
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    I feel like I'm in math class

  5. #64
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well when you run statistical formula's they don't take into account things such as injuries, new playing time, new ballparks (sometimes although you can correct that to a point) or even someone having a poor first half and coming on very strong in the second half to only yield a 'meh' type season. There are always tweaks that need to be made based on those types of situations.
    Its based around past performance, age, trends, upside, first half versus second half performances as well as special tweaking by me in cases like Bailey with the injuries, Edwin with Narron jerking him around big time, Gonzo and his family situations.

    What are you plugging into your magic formula to yield your results?

    I understand you need to look at the past in order to project the future, but in the case of Bailey you can't easily dismiss his being ineffective to just an injury and in the case of EE I think it's too generous to blame Narron and assume a new manager will yield much greater production.

    I guess I'm incorrect to assume that a projection should be a prediction of healthy results?

  6. #65
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    What are you plugging into your magic formula to yield your results?
    Past history, age, trends (such as first half and second half differences), similarities from previous seasons compared to other past similar players, upside (based on prior historical upside for the player or a perceived upside in my given case for rookie type players) and then adjustments made for certain players.

    I understand you need to look at the past in order to project the future, but in the case of Bailey you can't easily dismiss his being ineffective to just an injury and in the case of EE I think it's too generous to blame Narron and assume a new manager will yield much greater production.
    Actually I can do that with Bailey. His numbers pre injury and post injury (and we know the dates that it happened) and his numbers during injury are so incredibly different that its not even funny. Whether you want to think it or not is completely irrelevent, as well, it is Dougdirts projection system. As for EE, the only real thing that I adjusted was his power numbers and it was just a slight tweak (5% boost over the projection number) based on him not being jerked in and out of the line up and Cincy/Louisville). His average is up just 2 points over last year and his OBP less than 10 points, I don't think overall its that much greater of production.

  7. #66
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Past history, age, trends (such as first half and second half differences), similarities from previous seasons compared to other past similar players, upside (based on prior historical upside for the player or a perceived upside in my given case for rookie type players) and then adjustments made for certain players.
    I guess I phrased my question incorrectly...

    What numbers/data are you plugging into your magic formula?

    Obviously you're basing the projection from what they've done, based on what you think they will do, but it doesn't necessarily reflect what they will do, IMO.

    Your projections seem to range from very realistic, to ridiculously optimistic, to mathematically impossible.

    I'm wondering how 1 magic formula can yield 3 varying results.

    Is that where the tweaking comes in?

  8. #67
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I guess I phrased my question incorrectly...

    What numbers/data are you plugging into your magic formula?

    Obviously you're basing the projection from what they've done, based on what you think they will do, but it doesn't necessarily reflect what they will do, IMO.

    Your projections seem to range from very realistic, to ridiculously optimistic, to mathematically impossible.

    I'm wondering how 1 magic formula can yield 3 varying results.

    Is that where the tweaking comes in?
    IMO it's likely a reflection of manipulating the numbers for each player in order to meet predefined assumptions. It may well work out for some of them but because of the methodology the actual formulas for each player won't have much meaning as they are really just SWAG guesses, not formulas that can be tested for accuracy against years of historical data.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  9. #68
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I guess I phrased my question incorrectly...

    What numbers/data are you plugging into your magic formula?
    Past stats for all players involved with multiplier/divisor based on their age of that said season. The numbers for minor leaguers have a divisor based on the levels performed at.

    Obviously you're basing the projection from what they've done, based on what you think they will do, but it doesn't necessarily reflect what they will do, IMO.
    Well no system is going to reflect what they will do. Thats why even the best systems are only 50-60% correct (and by that I mean relatively close).

    Your projections seem to range from very realistic, to ridiculously optimistic, to mathematically impossible.

    I'm wondering how 1 magic formula can yield 3 varying results.

    Is that where the tweaking comes in?
    Well tell me which ones are 'realistic', 'ridiculously optimistic' and 'mathematically impossible' (which by the way, is nowhere near my system) and I will try to tell you why they may differ from things you think they should be.

  10. #69
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    I guess the question is this Doug.

    Do your formulas remain constant for all players with the same attributes or are you manipulating them based on an individual player?

    If the answer is the latter then what you have isn't really a "system" but a method for arriving at a set of conclusions that you feel are realistic. That is not to say that the conclusions you have reached are necessarily unrealistic but that if applied to a wide range of player data they may not yield consistent projections for similar players because the players themselves, and your predisposition about them, are a variable in the equation that can not be measured by anyone but yourself, thus making your projections less a study in science than a method to validate your opinions.
    Last edited by pedro; 02-16-2008 at 05:19 PM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  11. #70
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Realistic
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Freel
    Phillips
    Gonzalez
    Keppinger
    Hatteberg
    Valentin
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Burton
    Weathers
    Cordero

    Optimistic
    Griffey
    Hopper
    Votto
    EE
    Ross
    Bailey
    Affeldt

    Mathematically Impossible
    Bailey

  12. #71
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    I think Homer Bailey stole someone's girlfriend.

  13. #72
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,979

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    I'd say Weathers' numbers are very optimistic. And if Volquez does what Doug predicts, this team is likely headed to the playoffs. If both Weathers and Volquez do what Doug says, then they are assured a playoff spot. If Volquez, Bailey, and Weathers do what he says, then I'd have to rate the Reds the pennant favorites.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 02-16-2008 at 05:14 PM.

  14. #73
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    I could definitely see Edinson Volquez doing what Doug has predicted him to do. In fact, it really wouldn't surprise me if he surpassed those numbers. This kis has great stuff - 95 mph fastball that can touch 97, a devastating changeup, and a curveball, while inconsistent, is a solid pitch at times. I think he's on the brink of breaking out in a major way. I'm very excited about his potential.

  15. #74
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,979

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I could definitely see Edinson Volquez doing what Doug has predicted him to do. In fact, it really wouldn't surprise me if he surpassed those numbers. This kis has great stuff - 95 mph fastball that can touch 97, a devastating changeup, and a curveball, while inconsistent, is a solid pitch at times. I think he's on the brink of breaking out in a major way. I'm very excited about his potential.
    Of the three I mentioned, I think Volquez is most likely to reach that potential too.

  16. #75
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Dougdirts 2008 Reds Projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Optimistic
    Griffey
    Hopper
    Votto
    EE
    Ross
    Affeldt
    What about Griffey is optimistic? Same goes for Hopper for that matter.
    My projections for Votto seem to fall in line with PECOTA and the Bill James projections. What seems optimistic about that?
    As for Edwin, he has the average and the on base percentage skills that I projected and we both know that (as he has shown them in the past) the only thing is the power. Why do you think he won't hit for power?
    As for Ross, I see a normalization of his average next year, he was incredibly unlucky last year.
    Affeldt, same as Votto.... projections fall in line right with everyone else minus the innings difference. Why is that being optimistic considering its actually a step backward from last season for him?
    Mathematically Impossible
    Bailey
    Show me how Bailey is mathematically impossible, because it is actually VERY possible.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25