Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NL only dynasty league

Re: NL only dynasty league

I hate the Miller pick. Dynasty does not mean pick young guys. Miller has done horrible in MLB, and hasn't had much experience above AA. He's also an injury concern. Even taking away all the prospect uncertainties, Miller plays behind possibly the worst defense which will hurt his ERA, and the team's offense (run support) isn't very strong. He's never had a dominant K rate so he'll just be around average there. Also he was probably taken way too early.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    I hate the Miller pick. Dynasty does not mean pick young guys. Miller has done horrible in MLB, and hasn't had much experience above AA. He's also an injury concern. Even taking away all the prospect uncertainties, Miller plays behind possibly the worst defense which will hurt his ERA, and the team's offense (run support) isn't very strong. He's never had a dominant K rate so he'll just be around average there. Also he was probably taken way too early.
    Yeah I think I regret that pick... should have gone with a power option... The ZiPS projections are what convinced me of Miller:
    173 IP 158 K

I hated the Miller pick too....... I was hoping he'd last another round or two!

My team as it sits so far..... minus Jay Bruce, who I got absolutely hosed on.

C- Russell Martin rd 2
    1b- James Loney rd 7
    2b- Rickie Weeks rd 5
    SS- Hanley Ramirez rd 1
    3b- Kevin Kouzmanoff rd 9
    IF-
    OF- Hunter Pence rd 3
    OF- Justin Upton rd 8
    OF-
    Util-
    Util-

SP- Dan Haren rd 4
    SP- Chad Billingsley rd 6
    RP-
    RP-
    P-
    p-
    P-
    P-

Updating my comments on your team.

Upton is probably a good dynasty player and worthy pick, just not for next year
    Billingsley is already injured and appears to be an easy injury type player. But he should be fine at pitching.
    Loney is okay... but his BABIP indicates he was lucky last year. I think of Votto type numbers with him, which is decent.
    Kouz could be a nice steal. He did great after his slow start. The problem is that the ballpark sucks and he could be converted to the OF in a couple years.

Updating my comments on your team.

Upton is probably a good dynasty player and worthy pick, just not for next year
    Billingsley is already injured and appears to be an easy injury type player. But he should be fine at pitching.
    Loney is okay... but his BABIP indicates he was lucky last year. I think of Votto type numbers with him, which is decent.
    Kouz could be a nice steal. He did great after his slow start. The problem is that the ballpark sucks and he could be converted to the OF in a couple years.
    The thing with Loney is that his minor league numbers back him up as a high average hitter. He led the minor leagues in BA 2 years ago, barely beating out.........Kouzmanof.

Upton, like you said, comes with great risk, and I'm not expecting anything over .260. If I get more, it's a bonus, but my cumulative BA to this point can cover that type of hit. That said, with Hanley, Weeks, Martin, Pence, and Upton onboard, it's looking like I should have the leg up in SBs even without Reyes.

Kouz I also like, as his second half was just phenomenal.

Haren is a guy I feel is underrated. He's moving to the NL, which always helps, and though he moves from Oakland to Arizona.... He also moves from Anaheim to San Francisco. He moves from Texas to San Diego...... I see that in his favor.

I took Matt Capps from Pittsburg in the ninth round. To this point I had no relievers. Was this pick too early? Sorry, I'm not too experienced with this stuff.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Capps will be a closer and should stay closer for several years. He'll give solid numbers, but saves might be iffy. Pirates were one of the lowest teams in saves last year, and the team just won't win enough to give Capps many saves. I'm not sure if that's the right round, but he shouldn't hurt.

I don't think anybody has made any huge blunders so far. Everybody seems to know what they are doing for the most part. People have done some things I wouldn't have done, but I am happy because the players I wanted have been available for me.

We won't know whose strategy is best until several months from now...

Here is my team so far. I am very happy with it:

1. Johan Santana
    2. Alfonso Soriano
    3. Chipper Jones
    4. Garrett Atkins
    5. Brad Hawpe
    6. John Smoltz
    7. Miguel Tejada
    8. Todd Helton
    9. Trevor Hoffman
    10. Carlos Delgado

Your team might be fine this year, but from a Dynasty perspective it's kind of bad. You have

Chipper
    Smoltz
    Tejada
    Helton
    Hoffman
    Delgado

all on their declines and maybe retirement in Smoltz/Hoffman/Delgado. It's a very risky strategy because most of the better players are already taken up. You'll need to rely on league switches and new star prospects.

Your team might be fine this year, but from a Dynasty perspective it's kind of bad. You have

Chipper
    Smoltz
    Tejada
    Helton
    Hoffman
    Delgado

all on their declines and maybe retirement in Smoltz/Hoffman/Delgado. It's a very risky strategy because most of the better players are already taken up. You'll need to rely on league switches and new star prospects.
    If he plans to switch gears soon and start taking some younger players he should be ok... there are plenty of good young guys left...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If he plans to switch gears soon and start taking some younger players he should be ok... there are plenty of good young guys left...

Not for long.......

Yeah, I know my team is old. But my goal is to win this year and every year. You can't win now with a bunch of kids. There is a new crop of kids every year, so when I need fresh blood it will be available.

Keep in mind also that rosters are fluid over time. We are not stuck with the same players forever. I am free to make trades whenever I want. I'll bet my team looks completely different in October than it does now in February. Hopefully the other owners in the league are active all year and enjoy negotiating and making trades.

I just took Rick Ankiel in the 13th round. I think it's a steal. How do you guys feel?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So far I have:

1.3 Jose Reyes
    2.8 Brandon Webb
    3.3 Adrian Gonzalez
    4.8 Jeff Francoeur
    5.3 Aaron Harang
    6.8 Matt Kemp
    7.3 Edwin Encarnacion
    8.8 Jeremy Hermida