Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 120

Thread: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,481

    Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

    Terms of the deal haven't been disclosed yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Good...I think it's important to the team. I think Brandon is in a prime position to become the young leader of the young lads.

  3. #3
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,181

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    I'm guessing 4 & 30. I sure hope he learns to take a walk and to hit righties...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  4. #4
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm guessing 4 & 30. I sure hope he learns to take a walk and to hit righties...
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

    I know I'm not holding mine.



    He might eventually hit righties better through scouting and things like that, but not even Homer Bailey could walk Brandon Phillips.

    Go earn that coin BP. Earn that coin.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Good news...hopefully it is a favorable deal for both sides. Seemed like Brandon has enjoyed his time in Cincinnati and wanted to stay. I hope he can keep improving in all facets of his game and bring home a Gold Glove this year too.

    Also nice to get this out of the way so they don't have to go through the hearing and have his contract hanging over him all year.

  6. #6
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Well, it is good to have the leader of the team under contract for a few years.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  7. #7
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Well, it is good to have the leader of the team under contract for a few years.
    They signed Dunn to a LTC?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Newburgh, IN
    Posts
    3,458

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Love it. The Reds have had a kick butt off season.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

  9. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,918

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Love it. The Reds have had a kick butt off season.
    Hopefully waiting to see how his knee is for at least some playing time.

  10. #10
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Where's the LTC for Dunn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #11
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Where's the LTC for Dunn.
    Give it time. Getting a deal done with Phillips is much easier than getting a new deal done with a slugger who already makes an 8 digit salary.

    I could live with a 4 year contract in the 6.5-7.5 million per range.
    Matta = Really good

  12. #12
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Where's the LTC for Dunn.
    I think it's coming ... at least I'm hoping.

    What seems very obvious is Krivsky is trying to give the Reds a 2-4 year window from now through 2011 to make some noise and do some damage. They can control Harang/Arroyo through 2011, and they do control Cordero through 2011. I also think Encarnacion is under arbit control through 2011 too. I'm sure Phillips contract is - at minimum - three years with an option for a fourth year, which would allow the Reds to control him through 2011 too (Phillips' contract may even be longer).

    All the young prospects ... Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Votto are also under control through at least 2011, some (all?) even longer.

    This tells us where the base is and how long it's locked up. The window basically starts now and possibly closes in 2011, with the two money years being 2009 and 2010.

    Of course, it still all eventually rolls back to Dunn like you say. They're going to need his bat to make that window reality so they're going to have to figure something out to lock up him through at least 2011. Hopefully negotiations are already underway and the Reds are conveying to Dunn that the next three to four years look pretty good. If so, then I think the chances of a LTC with the Big Donkey are pretty good ...

    At least I'm hoping.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  13. #13
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I think it's coming ... at least I'm hoping.

    What seems very obvious is Krivsky is trying to give the Reds a 2-4 year window from now through 2011 to make some noise and do some damage. They can control Harang/Arroyo through 2011, and they do control Cordero through 2011. I also think Encarnacion is under arbit control through 2011 too. I'm sure Phillips contract is - at minimum - three years with an option for a fourth year, which would allow the Reds to control him through 2011 too (Phillips' contract may even be longer).

    All the young prospects ... Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Votto are also under control through at least 2011, some (all?) even longer.

    This tells us where the base is and how long it's locked up. The window basically starts now and possibly closes in 2011, with the two money years being 2009 and 2010.

    Of course, it still all eventually rolls back to Dunn like you say. They're going to need his bat to make that window reality so they're going to have to figure something out to lock up him through at least 2011. Hopefully negotiations are already underway and the Reds are conveying to Dunn that the next three to four years look pretty good. If so, then I think the chances of a LTC with the Big Donkey are pretty good ...

    At least I'm hoping.
    I'm right there with ya, buddy.

    Everything you lay out here seems very logical to me... not to mention that, hopefully, 4 years from now, the Reds will be on a much higher 'revenue stream path' to justify cherrypicking the remaining talent to possibly keep around even if they have become costly.

    But for this whole plan to work, I see Dunn as an absolute necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  14. #14
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,687

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Where's the LTC for Dunn.
    I think that will come at some point this season. Jr's money comes off the books after '08, with a 4 mil buyout.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  15. #15
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

    All I know is Krivsky seems top be able to keep players here. That plus find nuggets on the cheap, the only aspect I really can see where he is lacking is ability to take assets in minors that are valued elsewhere and spin them for desired needs of the Reds.

    Please note this does not involve Cueto,Bailey,Bruce.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25