Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

4 years $27 M is a great deal. Glad this to see Phillips is signed long term.

Here are some more details on the contract:

The new contract includes a club option for a fifth season. If Phillips is traded, it becomes a mutual option that would bring the total value of the contract to $43.25 million.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That seems like a hell of a lot for the fifth year...

Sounds like that 5th year only shows up if Phillips is traded?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Sounds like that 5th year only shows up if Phillips is traded?
    No, we hold an option regardless. If he's traded, the option becomes mutual meaning both Phillips and his new club must exercise the option. It's another way of saying he wants to stay with the club because it slightly diminishes his trade value since the new club would risk him not exercising the option and going to Free Agency.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I understand the consternation over Phillips free-swinging ways, and I understand why that can cause problems with slumps and the like, but his free-swinging ways is what makes him successful at the plate. Not every player has to fit in a tidy little hitting approach box. A lineup full of them can be a problem, but a free-swinger can be a complement in an overall patient lineup.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    No, we hold an option regardless. If he's traded, the option becomes mutual meaning both Phillips and his new club must exercise the option. It's another way of saying he wants to stay with the club because it slightly diminishes his trade value since the new club would risk him not exercising the option and going to Free Agency.

Actually, mutual options can work many ways. Sometimes they mean that either can exercise it. Until we see it, we won't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Actually, mutual options can work many ways. Sometimes they mean that either can exercise it. Until we see it, we won't know for sure.
    That's how I seem to remember most mutual options working. Right now, the Reds have the club option to pay him 16 million in 2012. If he's traded the option then becomes mutual and either Brandon or the new club could kick the option year in.

It protects Phillips from getting traded in 2011 and the new club having the option not to have to pay him anything in 2012 and get draft picks for him. If he's traded, he then can kick the option in himself and be promised 16 million in 2012. That is what I would guess is in the contract.

Explained like that, it makes him MUCH less tradeable, seems to me.

What a great deal. To me, it says a lot about Phillips as a person -- he doesn't have to fuel his ego by being the highest-paid player around.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I understand the consternation over Phillips free-swinging ways, and I understand why that can cause problems with slumps and the like, but his free-swinging ways is what makes him successful at the plate. Not every player has to fit in a tidy little hitting approach box. A lineup full of them can be a problem, but a free-swinger can be a complement in an overall patient lineup.
    A lineup needs both early-count and late-count hitters -- guys who jump on the first good pitch they see, and guys who wear the opposing pitcher down.

I think Phillips can grow out of his free-swinging ways and become a good, aggressive, early-count hitter with a decent BB/K ratio.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

According to the article on the Reds web site the club option for the 5th year would be $12 million. Apparently if traded the deal would go up another $4.25 million to get to that 43.25 figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    According to the article on the Reds web site the club option for the 5th year would be $12 million. Apparently if traded the deal would go up another $4.25 million to get to that 43.25 figure.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for the edification, RF.

It still makes him much less tradeable, but on the flipside, it makes it much more likely that he's a Red for at least five years if he continues to play like we all hope and expect he will.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for the edification, RF.

It still makes him much less tradeable, but on the flipside, it makes it much more likely that he's a Red for at least five years if he continues to play like we all hope and expect he will.
    The whole thing is a little confusing after reading it again here it what it says in this article:

According to Major League sources, Phillips is guaranteed $27 million plus an additional $12 million if the club option is picked up for the fifth year. That option becomes a mutual option if Phillips is traded, and salary escalators in the option year could increase the total value of the package to $43.25 million.

Great deal for the Reds. 4 years at 27 million is a very solid move. I like Brandon Phillips a lot, I'm glad that he will be around for a while.

Next up: Adam Dunn.

Now that he is a multi-millionairre.....I sure hope he still plays all-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    What a great deal. To me, it says a lot about Phillips as a person -- he doesn't have to fuel his ego by being the highest-paid player around.

A lineup needs both early-count and late-count hitters -- guys who jump on the first good pitch they see, and guys who wear the opposing pitcher down.

I think Phillips can grow out of his free-swinging ways and become a good, aggressive, early-count hitter with a decent BB/K ratio.
    I think that's what he already is and honestly don't expect him to waver much in his BA driven OBP.

Turn Off Ads?