Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

Terms of the deal haven't been disclosed yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Good...I think it's important to the team. I think Brandon is in a prime position to become the young leader of the young lads.

I'm guessing 4 & 30. I sure hope he learns to take a walk and to hit righties...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good news...hopefully it is a favorable deal for both sides. Seemed like Brandon has enjoyed his time in Cincinnati and wanted to stay. I hope he can keep improving in all facets of his game and bring home a Gold Glove this year too.

Also nice to get this out of the way so they don't have to go through the hearing and have his contract hanging over him all year.

Well, it is good to have the leader of the team under contract for a few years.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Love it. The Reds have had a kick butt off season.

Where's the LTC for Dunn.

All I know is Krivsky seems top be able to keep players here. That plus find nuggets on the cheap, the only aspect I really can see where he is lacking is ability to take assets in minors that are valued elsewhere and spin them for desired needs of the Reds.

Please note this does not involve Cueto,Bailey,Bruce.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Give it time. Getting a deal done with Phillips is much easier than getting a new deal done with a slugger who already makes an 8 digit salary.

I could live with a 4 year contract in the 6.5-7.5 million per range.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Love it. The Reds have had a kick butt off season.
    Hopefully waiting to see how his knee is for at least some playing time.

Great to see one of the key middle positions shored up for a few more years.

Worth The Wait

Slowly, but surely, this ownership/GM group is starting to do the right things. Maybe there is hope after all

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think it's coming ... at least I'm hoping.

What seems very obvious is Krivsky is trying to give the Reds a 2-4 year window from now through 2011 to make some noise and do some damage. They can control Harang/Arroyo through 2011, and they do control Cordero through 2011. I also think Encarnacion is under arbit control through 2011 too. I'm sure Phillips contract is - at minimum - three years with an option for a fourth year, which would allow the Reds to control him through 2011 too (Phillips' contract may even be longer).

All the young prospects ... Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Votto are also under control through at least 2011, some (all?) even longer.

This tells us where the base is and how long it's locked up. The window basically starts now and possibly closes in 2011, with the two money years being 2009 and 2010.

Of course, it still all eventually rolls back to Dunn like you say. They're going to need his bat to make that window reality so they're going to have to figure something out to lock up him through at least 2011. Hopefully negotiations are already underway and the Reds are conveying to Dunn that the next three to four years look pretty good. If so, then I think the chances of a LTC with the Big Donkey are pretty good ...

At least I'm hoping.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I think with Dunn Krivsky is waiting to see if his knee is fully healthy before giving him a LTC. I see no problem with that. I made this prediction yesterday on here - By the end of March the Reds will announce they have signed Dunn long-term.

Turn Off Ads?