Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think that's what he already is and honestly don't expect him to waver much in his BA driven OBP.
    Then why not stick him the leadoff spot like the Cubs do with Soriano and let him look first pitch fastball?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Then why not stick him the leadoff spot like the Cubs do with Soriano and let him look first pitch fastball?
    Because his batting skills are mostly power dependent, rather than OBP based. His skill set fits better driving guys like Dunn in. Fits well in the 4-5 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think that's what he already is and honestly don't expect him to waver much in his BA driven OBP.
    I think his BA and OPB will go up if he learns to stop chasing those low-and-away sliders.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd like to see Dunn 3rd, BP clean-up, and Griffey 5th

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I think his BA and OPB will go up if he learns to stop chasing those low-and-away sliders.

I think every hitter in the world will improve if they stop swinging at bad pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I think every hitter in the world will improve if they stop swinging at bad pitches.
    Absolutely, but I haven't noticed any hitter getting fooled by one particular pitch as much as Phillips. The low-and-away slider seems to be Brandon's kryptonite.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'd like to see Dunn 3rd, BP clean-up, and Griffey 5th
    I really wouldn't mind something along the lines of:

Jay Bruce
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Adam Dunn
    Brandon Phillips
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Joey Votto
    David Ross
    Alex Gonzalez

or

Joey Votto
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Adam Dunn
    Brandon Phillips
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Jay Bruce
    David Ross
    Alex Gonzalez

Flip flop Griffey/Phillips and I would be OK with that too.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I must say, Wayne's on a roll.

Count me as one that is happy to be a Reds fan today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3247805

CINCINNATI -- Second baseman Brandon Phillips agreed to a $27 million, four-year deal on Friday, settling the Cincinnati Reds' final arbitration case and satisfying a player who doesn't want to leave.

The 26-year-old infielder had a breakout season last year, when he joined Alfonso Soriano as the only second basemen in major league history to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases.

Agents Sam and Seth Levinson negotiated the deal for Phillips, who wanted to stay with the team that gave him a second chance by getting him from Cleveland in a trade. Phillips had asked for $4.2 million in arbitration, and the Reds had offered $2.7 million.

The new contract includes a club option for a fifth season. If Phillips is traded, it becomes a mutual option, and the total value of the contract increases to $43.25 million over five years.

"To tell you the truth, I wanted to get a contract that would let me be with the Cincinnati Reds for a long time," Phillips said in a conference call. "This is the one team I want to play for.

"Barry Larkin played for this team. He's one person I've looked up to. Another reason is that the Reds gave me a second chance. They opened up the door to me. The city welcomed me with open arms. I just want to make sure I give back to them from what they gave to me."

Phillips made $407,500 last season, when he finally met the high expectations set for him early in his career.

The Indians considered him one of their top prospects, but he struggled when promoted to the majors and fell out of favor with the organization. By opening day 2006, the Indians were out of options and patience with Phillips, who traded him to the Reds for a player to be named.

The move shocked Phillips, who realized he was getting a second and perhaps final chance in Cincinnati. He hit .276 with 17 homers and 75 RBIs that season, taking over as the starting second baseman along the way.

Last year, he emerged as one of the team's up-and-coming stars. He joined outfielder Eric Davis and Larkin as the only Reds players to have 30 homers and steals in a season. He also broke Joe Morgan's team record for homers by a second baseman.

He had a 22-game hitting streak early in the season, the best of his career. Phillips also led NL second basemen in fielding percentage, committing only eight errors.

Even Phillips was surprised by how well he did, especially with home runs. He, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. all hit 30.

"Griffey told me, 'Don't limit yourself because you don't know how good you are,' " Phillips said. "Honestly, I didn't know I was capable of doing things like that.

"I know I can play this game. I never doubted myself. My goal was to be 20-20. I didn't think I would exceed my goal by that much. I knew I could hit 30 homers, I knew I was capable, but I didn't think I was going to do it last year."

Phillips plans to join the team for spring training in Sarasota, Fla., over the weekend. Reds pitchers and catchers open camp with their first workout on Sunday afternoon.

Don't you just like hearing stuff like that? I can't recall any Red in recent memory being that outspoken about playing in Cincinnati.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Absolutely, but I haven't noticed any hitter getting fooled by one particular pitch as much as Phillips. The low-and-away slider seems to be Brandon's kryptonite.
    Sammy Sosa says
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Sammy Sosa says
    Sliders made hitting a little tougher. I could hit the slider -- no question about hitting it -- but I couldn’t hit it in the air, and they got the big shift against me. And if I don’t hit an absolute thirty-ought-six bullet through there, some guy’s in the middle of it.

Teddy Ballgame

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I must say, Wayne's on a roll.

Count me as one that is happy to be a Reds fan today.
    Phillips's is one of Krivsky's greatest accomplishments all around. This team has so far to go, but it's so nice to be proud of your organization every once in a while instead of burying your face in your beer every time the subject of baseball comes up at the bar. Although -- I can't let this go -- if they let Dunn walk, I will rebury in greater shame than ever.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 02-15-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Because it's a bad idea for the Cubs too. Soriano batting leadoff and Fukudome batting 5th probably costs the Cubs 10-15 runs over the course of the season, if not more. That power will be more productive with guys on base ahead of it, the low OBP makes them poor table setters for the power coming up behind them, and that speed is more useful at the bottom of the order than the top, where the guys coming up struggle moving guys over and in on their own.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-15-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You'd think but in reality it just makes them walk more with RISP....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sliders made hitting a little tougher. I could hit the slider -- no question about hitting it -- but I couldn’t hit it in the air, and they got the big shift against me. And if I don’t hit an absolute thirty-ought-six bullet through there, some guy’s in the middle of it.

Teddy Ballgame
    Teddy needs to tell Brandon to keep his eye on the dot.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?