Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

Re: Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

What if he gets lazy with guaranteed millions??????????
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

What happens if he has another couple seasons like last season and makes double in arbitration compared to what we now have him under contract for?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    So, you never sign anyone to a multi-year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So, you never sign anyone to a multi-year contract?
    Howsam like that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    As for my analogy, I hope your financial planner is providing a little more than "don't spend." That is the point of the analogy--simplistic advice. Likewise, if you're Brandon's hitting coach and your advice is "keep your eye on the ball, son" as it boiled down to what you were saying, he is likely going to give you one of these
    Except that my comment wasn't implying, "keep your eye on the ball son". If learning to lay off of sliders that are purposefully thrown out of the zone doesn't begin with first recognizing a slider is being thrown (and the ball's rotation is an important clue), then where does it begin?

Likewise, if my financial planner doesn't begin the conversation with what's coming in and what's being spent, I don't care about his other advice.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Aside from the use of first person in reference to yourself, if it were as simple as all that, either you'd be the hitting coach instead of typing advice for free or you'd be playing.
    Well by that standard, your opinion on the subject is unqualified. Since by logical extension that statement was an attack on all ORG members, it was a silly ad hominen that probably should've been reserved for the PM function.

Once again, if learning to lay off a slider doesn't begin with pitch recognition, where does it?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

TR and Jojo, let's get back on track, please. Thanks.

Brandon Phillips is a freak. What I mean is that it's ridiculous how fan-friendly he is relative to other MLB players. On top of that, he has repeatedly said that he wants to stay in Cincinnati.

Personally, I am expecting a regression at any moment, but I hope he continues to prove me wrong (as he most certainly did in 2007). As long as he produces at a level between his 2006 and 2007 numbers (or better), you won't hear me complain about him at his price.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post

Why would you think he'd do that? Would you say the same about Dunn? Kearns when he was here? Arroyo? Harang? Why Phillips?

Because he wears his hat cocked? Is he too "uppity" like Larkin for this city?

I hear the silly hustle tag attributed to guys like Stynes, Freel and Rose, but never a guy like Phillips. Why?

Sorry just a pet peeve of mine in this city.

So any idea of how much money they are saving? It better be quite a bit since they are only buying out one year of FA, and it better help them go get a pitcher like Derek Lowe (if they need him )...

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...i-reds_24.html

Brandon Phillips 2b
    4 years/$27M (2008-11), plus 2012 club option

* re-signed 2/15/08 (avoided arbitration, $4.2M-$2.7M)
    * $0.75M signing bonus
    * 08:$2.75M, 09:$4.75M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
    * escalators based on awards may bring total package to $43.25M
    * if traded, 2012 club option becomes mutual option

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    TR and Jojo, let's get back on track, please. Thanks.
    Jojo, there is nothing in my post that needs to be put in a pm. There is nothing ultimately personal or ad hominem, and you seem to be a bit thin-skinned for someone who is regularly correcting folks.

Mr. mod, now we are off topic, before we were discussing BP's hitting approach by analogy, which was on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So any idea of how much money they are saving? It better be quite a bit since they are only buying out one year of FA, and it better help them go get a pitcher like Derek Lowe (if they need him )...

As with Arroyo and Harang, I think this is somewhat of a "bellweather" signing that is not so much about saving money as it is about projecting commitment not only as an organization but also as a workplace which I think sometimes gets lost by folks in the analysis.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    As with Arroyo and Harang, I think this is somewhat of a "bellweather" signing that is not so much about saving money as it is about projecting commitment not only as an organization but also as a workplace which I think sometimes gets lost by folks in the analysis.
    That's a great point and I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Concerning the money, my personal feeling is that this is a bit of an overpay because I think last season's power spike won't be the norm for him (I think he's going to be pretty much an average bat). That said, I think you're right on regarding the commitment. The Reds were brilliant to not take Phillips to arbitration. They very well might have lost anyway after having to verbalize to Phillips all the reasons they think he isn't worth it. The LTC couldn't send a more opposite and positive message.

The Reds have decided he's their guy at second. That item is checked off of their to do list for the next several seasons.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    You guys have short memories. Sammy Sosa and Alfonso Soriano have never hit a ball that breaks, and they swing at everything that was once in the zone. Soriano is 10x's worse than BP when it comes to laying off the slider.

Also Wily Mo comes to mind.
    Wily Mo has trouble with anything that bends.

Soriano and Sosa, I've never watched them closely. But Phillips, any of the hundred or so ABs I've seen, a low-and-away slider seems to elicit a swing-from-the-heels miss or easy ground-out. I'd love to see him fix that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?