Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Absinthe

Absinthe

I was at the liquor store recently and saw a bottle of Swiss Absinthe at the checkout counter. I asked them if it was the real thing and they said it was. Apparently, as long as the Thujone content is lower than what is allowed by the FDA, it's OK to distill and sell in the US. I ended up buying the bottle and checking it out. Interesting stuff...taste-wise, high anise content so it tastes like black licorice. Very high alcohol content so I can imagine that's where some of the negative perceptions come from. I wouldn't try to slog through a bottle in a night!

I did have some of the "real stuff" in England a few years ago. I don't remember any strange effects other than what one normally has when they drink too much. I really like the whole "ritual" of making the "louche" and whatnot.

So, any imbibers of "the Green Fairy?"
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Absinthe

A buddy of mine brought a bottle back with him from Amsterdam a couple years or so ago... he got absolutely bonkers that night... he was lucky he was with friends who could, somewhat, control him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Nate =

"Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Always wanted to give it a try, maybe in France some day.

I had it once. Got drunk, but no more so or any differently than any other strong liquor. No hallucinations or singing choirs of angels. I think maybe it's made a little weaker than it used to be, or maybe the weird side effects were just an urban myth. I admit I don't know much about it though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Black licorice would taste good compared to this stuff. Ridiculously bitter.

The two ways I was told to drink it was put a sugar cube on a slotted spoon, and then pour water over the cube into the glass of absinthe, and dilute to between a 3-1 to 6-1 ratio water to absinthe. This way was eh.

The 2nd way was to pour a shot of absinthe in a glass, put 2 sugar cubes in, and then fill the rest of your glass with champagne. This way was better, but still eh.

We made up a new way to drink it, which was "acceptable". We made a slushy out of it. Filled the blender with ice, whole bottle of champagne, about a 1/3 of a bottle of absinthe, and then would add sugar and blend to taste. Once we got enough sugar, it was doable.

Absinthe is potent stuff in terms of alcohol. Makes me almost want tequila instead.

I had it with the water poured over the sugar cube, it was good like that. I like all the accessories (spoon, fountain, glasses)

The second way you described is similar to Hemmingway's "Death in the Afternoon" cocktail.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I had it with the water poured over the sugar cube, it was good like that. I like all the accessories (spoon, fountain, glasses)

The second way you described is similar to Hemmingway's "Death in the Afternoon" cocktail.
    I'm a big fan. I order it from an English website. Its definitely different. I'd put the effects as somewhere between marijuana and a wine buzz.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I read somewhere that there was a wine shortage in Europe, and some folks were drinking absinthe instead, and that's when the odd behaviors became associated with absinthe. The quantity/quality of the drink is likely what REALLY was the cause.

If that story is true.

Tales of the Cocktail, a New Orleans food and spirits festival of sorts, has an absinthe tasting "seminar" every year. The man that gives it developed his own line of absinthe (produced in France, tho he's an American) by chemically analyzing old bottles of the stuff, still corked, that he has collected over the years. He'd draw out a small bit by syringe thru the cork, then try to make his own match chemically.

you tube: piece from modern marvels

The modern marvels segment is just over 10 minutes long, but it's kind of interesting IMO
    Last edited by SandyD; 02-15-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Worst twins ever.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Worst twins ever.
    Great movie.

Turn Off Ads?