Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What's Furman up to?

What's Furman up to?

Just curious if anyone knows what Andy Furman is doing now?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: What's Furman up to?

About a month ago, he told the Enquirer "I've decided the radio chapter of my life is over."
    /r/reds

He can be found here...
    http://www.oldies1160.com/
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    About a month ago, he told the Enquirer "I've decided the radio chapter of my life is over."
    That'll change quickly if clearchannel sells off WLW, as has been rumored for some time now...

I've heard several whispers about a local ownership group being put together that would probably be much more open to the Furball than the current regime.

In the interests of partial disclosure, I'm an Andy Furman fan.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Furman called into Cunningham's show a couple days ago, when the were celebrating Jim Scott's anniversary of being in radio. It was boring and they told him the liked Daugherty better...
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    That'll change quickly if clearchannel sells off WLW, as has been rumored for some time now...

I've heard several whispers about a local ownership group being put together that would probably be much more open to the Furball than the current regime.
    The sale is more than a rumor, but one of the potential owners would probably not only NOT rehire Furman but would also purge everyone on the air who is controversial.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...60346/-1/CINCI

Sell-off may include WLW
    Clear Channel forced to sell 2 local stations
    BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | JKIESEWETTER@ENQUIRER.COM

WLW-AM, the city's dominant radio station, could have new owners this spring.

The U.S. Justice Department has ordered Clear Channel to
    sell a pair of Cincinnati stations, either news-sports-talk WLW-AM (700) and top 40 WKFS-FM (KISS107.1) or rock stations WOFX-FM (FOX92.5) and WNNF-FM (Radio94.1).

The mandate is part of a conditional approval of the $28 billion acquisition of Clear Channel, the nation's biggest radio owner, by private equity investors Bain Capital and Thomas H. Lee Partners.

Clear Channel must sell two of eight stations here because Bain and Lee Partners also control half of Cumulus, which owns three stations here. Otherwise, Bain and Lee Partners would have a monopoly on radio advertising rates here, the government said.

Clear Channel executives have not decided which pair to sell, says Michelle Clarke, company spokeswoman. A decision must be made by the time Bain and Lee Partners close on the Clear Channel deal, which is expected before March 31, she says.

The most attractive package for a buyer would be WLW-AM, the 50,000-watt station heard in 34 states, and KISS107, No. 1 for ages 18-34. But they won't be cheap.

Brokers estimate that Clear Channel's AM flagship could bring from $50 million to more than $100 million, plus another $30 million-$35 million for the FM rocker.

The pair of FM stations could be had for about $65 million - $45 million for FOX92.5 and $20 million for the former MIX94.1, brokers say.

"Selling WLW-AM makes the most sense because Clear Channel can get the most money from it," says Rob Riggsbee, president of Inside Media of Newtown.

Potential buyers include Bonneville, owners of WUBE-FM (B105.1) and WKRQ-FM (Q102), and Randy Michaels, the former Clear Channel radio president and WLW-AM owner, says John L. Pierce, a Florence-based media broker. Michaels heads broadcast operations for the Chicago-based Tribune Co., which owns TV and radio stations.

Bonneville has major news-talk AM stations in Washington D.C., Salt Lake City and Seattle, says Peter Handy, a Dallas-based radio broker for Star Media Corp.
    But if Bonneville - owned by the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-day Saints - purchased WLW-AM, the "Big One's" sensational, edgy talk would change, Handy says.

"Stations like WLW - minus the 'bad boy' image - are of big interest to Bonneville," Hand says.

Historic WLW-AM, founded by Powel Crosley Jr. in 1922, has been the city's most popular station because of its sports (Reds, Bengals, UC, Xavier, "SportsTalk"), talk hosts (Bill Cunningham, Mike McConnell) and 24/7 local radio news operation.

The Bengals - broadcast by FOX92.5 and WLW-AM - will lose an affiliate in the transaction. The Bengals will ask Clear Channel to add games to another station, says Jack Brennan, team spokesman.

It could not be determined Friday if WLW-AM's other sports franchises would stay with the station if sold, or remain at Clear Channel. Local Clear Channel executives could not be reached for comment.

In its ruling Wednesday, antitrust officials also ordered the company to sell stations in Houston, Las Vegas and San Francisco.

Clear Channel also owns WEBN-FM (102.7), WKRC-AM (550), WSAI-AM (ESPN 1360) and WKRC-TV (Channel 12). Cumulus owns WRRM-FM (WARM98.5), WGRR-FM (103.5) and WFTK-FM (96.5 Rock).
    /r/reds

Did everyone know he has a show now in Cincy on 1160?

http://www.realtalk1160.com/shows/andy-furman.html

Curious if anyone has ever tuned in? And how it is? Looks like it's been on the air for 4+ months now. I know a lot of people here hate Furman. I didn't always agree with him, but I thought he was pretty entertaining to listen to.

I wish he was back on 700.

Its a shame TJ Houshmanzedah got him fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    That quote was from 2008. Where did you get the impression it came a month ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    His post was also from 2008.

Furman is the worst sportstalk host I have ever heard.

He knows nothing about Baseball.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I moved away from Cincy when I was very young but my Mom brought me back there for a few weeks every summer so we could visit family and, of course, go to as many Reds games as possible. I used to love listening to Furman on the way home from the game. When we won, he seemed happy, as was I...when we lost, I was furious and he seemed the same way. Granted, I was too young to really understand if his baseball analysis was actually any good, but I knew I loved his show and I remember being upset that we didn't get 700 WLW in Florida so I could hear his show all the time. I was also bewildered by the fact that there were no Cheese Coney joints in Florida.

Approx 10 years later, with all the advancements on teh intraweb, I can hear 700 WLW whenever I want, although there is obviously no more Furman. Still can't get the Cheese Coneys down here, unfortunately.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Der Furman has been banished to no-man's land where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I was also bewildered by the fact that there were no Cheese Coney joints in Florida.
    I know I saw one with my own eyes in Clearwater, so I checked Skyline's website.

Clearwater
    28776 U.S. Highway 19 North (727) 791-6887
    Map this location » Smoke Free

Ft. Lauderdale
    2590 North Federal Highway (954) 566-1541

Ft. Lauderdale
    2834 North University Drive (954) 741-3929

Ft. Myers
    5100-323 South Cleveland Avenue (239) 278-3929