Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Spring Training notebook

Re: Reds Spring Training notebook

Reds notes: Louisville manager believes in Bailey

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Monday, February 18, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. — Louisville manager Rick Sweet lived up to his name in the Cincinnati Reds spring training clubhouse this week — he had some sweet words about pitcher Homer Bailey.

"Homer Bailey is ready and he is going to be all right this year," said Sweet.

He managed Bailey at Louisville last season and saw what happened the first time Bailey was called up and what happened the second time he was called up.

"Yes, Homer can be stubborn," said Sweet. "He dominated in the minors and at Louisville. Then he got called up and struggled a little bit (2-2, 6.99 in six starts)."

Bailey was sent back to Louisville, was recalled in September, and was 2-0 with a 3.71 ERA in three starts.

Sweet was with the team in late September and saw Bailey's next-to-last start of the season — 5 2/3 innings, one run, three hits.

"He was better, much better," said Sweet. "He made the adjustments, changed some things and that was good to see. It's when they come up two or three times and don't adjust when you decide it is time for that player to move on."

Instead, Sweet believes Bailey is movin' on up.

Looking for help

While the Joe Blanton deal is on low-boil, general manager Wayne Krivsky said he hasn't quit looking for another starting pitcher, "If there is one out there and the price is right."

On the free agent front, Kyle Lohse remains loose, but the Reds traded him last season and he wants more than he is worth. Jeff Weaver and Josh Fogg are out there, too.

Dusty Baker isn't averse to finding more pitching, but said, "Everybody I know is looking for one. Even Boston is looking after they lost Curt Schilling. There are some unsigned (free agents), but if you bring one in know they guys you have here starting thinking, 'Are they dissatisfied with me?' "

Zoom, zoom, zoom

Adam Dunn is now a true NASCAR fan after he not only watched his first Daytona 500 in person as a guest of Hall of Fame racing, he attended the pre-race drivers meeting.

"Before, I'd watch three laps on TV and hope somebody wrecked," he said. "Now I'm a fan. You have to be there to appreciate it. They'll never capture the true speed and what goes on on television."

Quote of the day

Ask any player and he will tell you the first two weeks of spring training, before exhibition games, are boring, boring, boring because all they do are stretching exercises, running, fielding drills and batting practice. That isn't the way new manager Dusty Baker felt at the end of Day 1 drills when he said, "I didn't realize how much I missed this.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...notesweb1.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The offseason ended on Saturday. The Reds' search for rotation improvements? That's still ongoing.
    Manager Dusty Baker was asked on Saturday if he had enough options for his rotation. Baker responded by saying, "We have enough people." On Monday, Baker didn't know if another starter would be added.

"Everybody I know is looking for one, maybe except Boston," Baker said. "Well, they might be looking for one now with [Curt] Schilling down. There are some late signs out there, but you have to move forward as if you'll go with what you have here."

What the Reds have is Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo in their top two spots. What follows is a wide-open competition for three spots that includes Matt Belisle, Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Jeremy Affeldt and Johnny Cueto.

Meanwhile, a bunch of veteran free agent starters are sitting at home without a camp to attend. Jeff Weaver, Bartolo Colon, Josh Fogg, Freddy Garcia and former Red Kyle Lohse remain unsigned.

"It's a little different from past years," general manager Wayne Krivsky said of the market glut. "There are more names out there for this late in February. It's not normal, that's for sure. I don't know how to explain it."

Starter Joe Blanton remains a potential trading chip for the A's, who are reportedly seeking a high return of prospects.

Krivsky, special advisor Walt Jocketty and other top Reds front office staff watched the bullpen sessions on Monday morning. Bailey, Cueto and Volquez were part of the groups that threw off mounds. Expect the club to use this time to evaluate what they have in comparison to what's available on the outside.

The Reds also have no space because they have a full 40-man roster. Unless someone is taken off, any free agent signed would have to accept a Minor League deal with a camp invite.

"We don't play a game for a while," Krivsky said. "Until the games start, I'll probably keep an eye on things."

"You know what the guys here are thinking," Baker said of his pitchers. "'Are they looking for someone else because they're unsatisfied with me?' It's up to them to get rid of that notion and dispel that notion. I'm always looking for that guy to surprise me."

Meet the manager: How one plays on the field is important, but a simple "hello and nice to meet you" can go a long way towards impressing a new skipper.

"That's how it used to be," Baker said. "Now you have to go around to them, mostly. But in the old school, it was an unwritten rule that you go up and introduce yourself to the manager. OK, that's impressive. I gave a couple of guys stars for that already in my mind."

One of those guys was reliever Josh Roenicke, the Reds' 10th-round Draft pick in 2006. How did a young guy understand an unwritten old-school code?

"No one really told me," Roenicke said. "I've just kind of known from the past, since my Dad and uncle played. It's more professional and it sends a good message to [the manager] when you do that. Plus, my Dad knows [Baker], so I saw him and went up right away to let him know who I was."

Roenicke's father, Ron, and uncle, Gary, both played in the Major Leagues. Ron Roenicke is currently a bench coach with the Angels, and a recent duck hunting companion of Baker's.

Injury report: All healthy pitchers and catchers have participated through two days of workouts. Reliever Bill Bray was limited while bothered by his left shoulder.

Lefty Mike Stanton arrived at camp with a sore quadriceps muscle in his leg and did not participate in fielding drills. Stanton did throw in his bullpen session Monday without a problem.

"Throwing hasn't bothered me," Stanton said. "It's when I have to accelerate to run."

Bullpen sessions: Harang, Todd Coffey and Jared Burton were among the other pitchers to throw 10-minute bullpen sessions during Monday's second day of camp.

"Everybody threw pretty well, actually," Baker said of Sunday's first day of throwing. "I was pleasantly surprised, because these guys have been throwing. You can tell who's been throwing and who hasn't. It looks like everybody has. Some of these guys were wide open to be this early."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

"Throwing hasn't bothered me," Stanton said. "It's when I have to accelerate to run."
    It looks like running has bothered him for a while

Thanks OBM for putting all these up, but the writers have to get some more story ideas for their notebooks.

If I read one more time that Adam Dunn was in town but only for the day because he was going to the Daytona 500 I'm going to scream.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The three catcher talk will not die.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Ken Griffey Jr. thinks the Major League offseason is getting shorter and shorter. A veteran of 19 seasons, he's experienced plenty of them.
    "Last week, I unwrapped Christmas gifts -- now I'm at Spring Training already," the Reds right fielder joked.

Griffey was back in camp on Tuesday for the official report date of the Reds' full squad, although he was around last week working out early. The 38-year-old took a round of batting practice with several other Reds inside Ed Smith Stadium.

It might have been a perceived short offseason for Griffey, but he still managed to pack a lot in. He bought go-karts and raced them with his wife and kids, dealt with a generator fire on his large yacht and lowered his golf handicap to six.

"The drives were long and I was feathery around the greens," Griffey joked.

Two weeks ago, Griffey moved into a new house in his adopted hometown of Orlando, Fla. Although he declined to reveal its size, the home has a two-lane bowling alley in the basement.

"It's a nice, small bungalow," Griffey said.

Entering the final guaranteed year of an eight-year contract that pays him $12.5 million in 2008, Griffey batted .277 with 30 homers and 93 RBIs in 144 games last season. The year ended prematurely on Sept. 19 when he suffered a high left groin strain.

There didn't appear to be any lingering issues from that injury. Griffey was asked how he was feeling now that he's back in camp.

"It's a matter of going through the baseball drills and the aches and pains of the first two weeks," he said. "You try not to do too much and do what you can."

Three catchers? It's an issue that can muddy any Spring Training debate about the makeup of a final 25-man roster.

Two catchers, or three?

The Reds already have two returning catchers in David Ross and Javier Valentin. But on Feb. 1, veteran Paul Bako, a non-roster invite, was signed to a Minor League deal. From 2003-04, Bako played for Reds manager Dusty Baker.

How much did Baker like Bako in Chicago?

"A lot -- that's why he's here," Baker said.

Baker said it's possible the Reds could carry three catchers.

"It depends on how things go," Baker said. "Late in the game, you'd love to have a guy like Bako behind the plate for a double switch or to pinch-hit. I told [general manager] Wayne [Krivsky] I'm looking for options. The more options I have, the more things you can do, the more people that can play and be put positions where they feel comfortable and succeed."

Under Krivsky and former manager Jerry Narron, Cincinnati carried Ross, Valentin and Jason LaRue in 2006. Last season, Chad Moeller was a third catcher, but he was shuttled back and forth from the Major League roster to Triple-A several times.

Bako was originally drafted by the Reds in the fifth round of the 1993 First-Year Player Draft. He took the circuitous route to get back. The 35-year-old reached Triple-A in 1997 before he was dealt to the Tigers with Donne Wall for outfielder Melvin Nieves.

"The team you get drafted by is the one you always hope you're going to make it with," Bako said. "Once I got traded the first time, it seemed like a yearly thing for a while."

Since 1998, Bako has played for the Astros, Marlins, Braves, Brewers, Cubs, Dodgers, Royals and Orioles. A lifetime .233 hitter, he batted .205 in 60 games last season with Baltimore.

"He's been a very good catch, throw and call guy," Baker said. "He's been around a long time and knows the game. I was talking to Paul Casanova about him the other day. He was my teammate and a fine catcher with the Braves and Senators. He looked at him and said, 'Bako knows what he's doing. Someday, he'll make a fine coach or manager.'"

Bako appreciated having familiarity with Baker and some of the Reds' staff.

"I was in this organization 10 years ago, but it feels like a place I've been the last couple of years because of the clubhouse staff, [head trainer] Mark Mann, Dusty, [pitching coach] Dick Pole and [bullpen coach] Porky [Lopez]," Bako said. "I played under [third base coach] Mark Berry for three years in the Minor Leagues. There are a lot of guys I played against a lot. It just feels really comfortable, you know, as opposed to signing with a random team."

Everyone's here: The first full squad workout for 62 players is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Most of the position players were already out on the field a day early. Adam Dunn took batting practice in Griffey's group. Brandon Phillips fielded ground balls at second base. Edwin Encarnacion and Joey Votto also made their first appearances at camp.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Two statements jump out at you:

Since 1998, Bako has played for the Astros, Marlins, Braves, Brewers, Cubs, Dodgers, Royals and Orioles. A lifetime .233 hitter, he batted .205 in 60 games last season with Baltimore.
    David Ross without the power???

I was talking to Paul Casanova about him the other day. He was my teammate and a fine catcher with the Braves and Senators. He looked at him and said, 'Bako knows what he's doing. Someday, he'll make a fine coach or manager.'"
    I thought we had both. IOWs, he's fodder.

three catchers is not necessary IMO unless hatteberg or votto is moved and valentin becomes LH PH.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    three catchers is not necessary IMO unless hatteberg or votto is moved and valentin becomes LH PH.
    Hypothetical question here. In the case of Bako, would it not make more sense to leave him in the minors and bring him up when needed?

The Reds are weak at the receiver position anyway. How does this strengthen that (unless he's Johnny Bench caliber on defense)?

Matters not, I guess. It looks like we're not so concerned about offense from the catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Hypothetical question here. In the case of Bako, would it not make more sense to leave him in the minors and bring him up when needed?

The Reds are weak at the receiver position anyway. How does this strengthen that (unless he's Johnny Bench caliber on defense)?

Matters not, I guess. It looks like we're not so concerned about offense from the catchers.

yup, i'm sure paul's going to love Louisvilel in the summer.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

David Ross without the power???

Or perhaps David Ross without GABP. 25 of Ross' 38 home runs the last two years have come in the friendly confines...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Bill Bray is being held back by an injury.

In other news, breathing oxygen is good for your health.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

My daughter did a bit on Spring Training in her illustration blog this week, which I thought I'd share with you all:

http://thefinestmuffins.blogspot.com...ay-theory.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

FCB:
    I'll buy this entire board a round if Cueto EVER hits 96 on the MLB gun at GAB.
    A round what?

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    A round what?
    That's something you'd have to ask him.

Reds notebook
    Baker, Pole like the young arms ... so far
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - Reds manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Dick Pole have gotten to see a little of those good young arms the Reds will rely on this season. And what do they think?

"I try not to get too excited about one bullpen session," Pole said. "But we've got some good arms. I was really impressed with the arm strength of (Johnny) Cueto, (Edinson) Volquez and (Josh) Roenicke. You can't teach a good fastball."

Said Baker: "They're looking good. Some guys are ahead of other guys, especially the ones who played Winter Ball. They have a big advantage because they're ready. They looked real good."

Cueto, Volquez and Roenicke all throw at least 96 mph. Homer Bailey is in that category as well. The Reds haven't had an abundance of those kinds of arms.

"We've got good arms in this camp," Baker said. "Good young arms. Good veterans arms. Hopefully, we'll have a big pot to chose from."

Good arms don't always make good pitchers. "Ask me again in two weeks," Pole said.

One veteran Baker has singled out twice is Scott Sauerbeck, the left-hander from Northwest High and Miami University

Sauerbeck pitched last year in the minors for Houston and Toronto. He's 20-17 with 3.82 ERA in 487 big league games.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/802200378

Turn Off Ads?