Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marlins ballpark agreement reached

Marlins ballpark agreement reached

Marlins ballpark agreement reached

By Sarah Talalay | Sun-Sentinel.com
    12:21 AM EST, February 16, 2008

The Marlins, Miami-Dade County, the city of Miami and Major League Baseball reached agreement late Friday to finance a $515 million ballpark at the site of the Orange Bowl, according to a source.

The agreement was not released, but was expected to be distributed to county and city commissioners, who will need to approve it. The city has scheduled a special commission meeting to consider the deal at 9 a.m. Thursday; the county commission is to meet at 1 p.m. that day.

The deal calls for the county and city to contribute $360 million mainly in tourist taxes and a $50 million general obligation bond Miami-Dade voters approved in 2004 to renovate the Orange Bowl, but which will instead be moved to the ballpark project.The Marlins are to contribute $155 million.

The Marlins have been trying for years to finance a new ballpark, but numerous deals were derailed when the state Legislature failed to help pay for the project. The new agreement does not count on state dollars and officials have said they have never been closer to building a 37,000-seat retractable roof ballpark.

The team says it needs its own home because it pays rent at Dolphin Stadium, where its lease expires after the 2010 season, and receives only percentages of revenue from parking, concessions and advertising signage.

The Marlins hope to break ground by year's end with the stadium opening by April 2011, when the team would be renamed the Miami Marlins.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Marlins ballpark agreement reached

And dozens of fans will come.
    Witty signature.

Good. The Marlins have had a great 15 years (two World Series wins)...it would have been unfortunate to see them move after being that successful. Hopefully they can get this stadium built and start getting better attendance (and I suspect they will in the new stadium) and keeping those younger players around. Looking at their young talent on the roster, this team has a chance to be very good again in a couple years.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good. The Marlins have had a great 15 years (two World Series wins)...it would have been unfortunate to see them move after being that successful. Hopefully they can get this stadium built and start getting better attendance (and I suspect they will in the new stadium) and keeping those younger players around. Looking at their young talent on the roster, this team has a chance to be very good again in a couple years.
    Agreed. I think having a team in Miami is good for MLB and hopefully this will help the Marlins increase attendance. The name change also makes sense since A. There is another team in Florida (at least for now) and B. Miami isn't exactly centrally located in the state. Miami Marlins makes sense.

I had always thought they should have been called the Miami Marlins. Wasn't that the proposed name when they were first awarded the Expansion team? My memory is not that good.
    Witty signature.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Not thrilled with the location. Not a heck of lot better than Dolphin stadium. (which at least was a short drive from my place).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'd bet cash money that attendance will still not be very good.

For some reason that's just an awful market for MLB teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I'd bet cash money that attendance will still not be very good.

For some reason that's just an awful market for MLB teams.
    Well, there so much more to do on summer nights in Miami. Clubs, beaches, racing for pink slips, you name it. The population in that area just don't foam at the mouth for baseball.
    Witty signature.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Well, there so much more to do on summer nights in Miami. Clubs, beaches, racing for pink slips, you name it. The population in that area just don't foam at the mouth for baseball.
    I don't think it's a lack of love for baseball. It's a lack of desire to drive from the distant suburbs to a game that might have a prolonged rain dellay. The roof should solve a lot of that.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    You could say that about LA & NYC as well and both cities support two teams quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Not thrilled with the location. Not a heck of lot better than Dolphin stadium. (which at least was a short drive from my place).
    I'm not that thrilled either. I still want a N.L. team in Charlotte, N.C. It's alot closer drive than Dolphin Stadium for me. Probably ain't gonna' happen any time soon though. I would have been happy with the Twins in Kernersville, N.C. too. Sigh...
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Isn't the Orange Bowl close or in Little Havana? I'm sure they market the team pretty strongly to the Hispanic population there but since the new stadium would be so close, that marketing may pay off.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I hope some of that cash will be spent revitalizing the neighborhood, the area around the orange bowl has been bad since the 1960's
    Go Gators!

It would be better for baseball and Miami if the Marlins just left. They don't have the fan support to continue to keep a franchise down there. Any team that can only draw 400 should automatically have their franchise revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I don't think it's a lack of love for baseball. It's a lack of desire to drive from the distant suburbs to a game that might have a prolonged rain dellay. The roof should solve a lot of that.

Exactly. It's the everyday thunderstorm that keeps a lot of people away.

I'm not too happy about the location either, but the roof was an absolute necessity.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?