Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial 2008 Severe Weather Thread

The Unofficial 2008 Severe Weather Thread

Another crazy weather night with a tornado-warned supercell popping up between Columbus and Dayton this severe weather season is undoubtedly underway. No reports of damage or a touchdown but seeing that kind of storm could definitely produce both. I kind of get the feeling that this is going be a bad severe weather season with the La Nina taking place. The last time there was a moderate to strong La Nina in place was 1999 which was a tragic year all around the country including Cincinnati. In April 1999, an F4 tornado tore through Blue Ash and killed 4 people in the early morning hours.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: The Unofficial 2008 Severe Weather Thread

I drove through one nasty thunderstorm in Mississippi the other night, hail and everything. I heard the next morning that a tornado had touched down nearby.

High five!

We've had two tornado warnings with sirens just since the first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I was coming through your neck of the woods during the last one. That was some nasty weather that night.

Had a tornado warning tonight, and it touched down about 5 miles away from me, in Mutual, and headed towards Woodstock, and I know 5 miles isn't really THAT close, but I have family in Mutual.
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    Had a tornado warning tonight, and it touched down about 5 miles away from me, in Mutual, and headed towards Woodstock, and I know 5 miles isn't really THAT close, but I have family in Mutual.
    I knew Mechanicsburg was familiar for some reason. You're the first source I've heard of any damage but I'm certainly not surprised. I'm sure if that's the case that the National Weather Service will be going out to survey that tomorrow. I hope everything is OK with your family and that was definitely where the storm was the strongest. I actually saved a bunch of RADAR images from the storm (with both Mutual and Mechanicsburg shown which is pretty weird). Another weather nerd and I just got done talking about all of this and we are in a state of shock after that storm. Definitely let me know how things turn out with everything and everyone.
    Last edited by harangatang; 02-18-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It has been crazy down that way. I felt especially bad for the college kids down at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee where they had an EF-4 tornado tear through their campus.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I used to live in Jackson. My dad went to Union University. I still know a lot of folks there.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    It has been crazy down that way. I felt especially bad for the college kids down at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee where they had an EF-4 tornado tear through their campus.
    I drove through Jackson the next morning after it hit. You could see where the tornado crossed I-40. Several semis were flipped clear off the road and there were trees flattened everywhere. I didn't go near the campus, but what I could see from the highway was bad enough. I had originally planned on trying to make it to Memphis the night before but when the weather started getting bad I shut down in Nashville. When I got to Jackson, I was glad I had spent the night where I did.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I was coming through your neck of the woods during the last one. That was some nasty weather that night.
    Sounds like ORH is a carrier, if you ask me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

All I know is I'm fed up with winter. The average high temperature for this week should be 44 degrees, but instead we're going to get highs in the 20s with sporadic snow showers the next few days. The only "warm" periods we've seen are accompanied by storms and/or high winds.

I hate the month of February with every ounce of my being. Spring cannot get here soon enough.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I was at Dale Hollow Lake fishing this weekend, Saturday's weather was great, but i got a knock on my motel door at 5:00 AM Sunday morning telling me one of my tie up ropes had broken loose from my bass boat. I went down and the front of my bass boat was bouncing up on the dock, and bent the heck out of my trolling motor. Temps were in the sixties, but wind gusts up to fifty mph. It made for tough fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    All I know is I'm fed up with winter. The average high temperature for this week should be 44 degrees, but instead we're going to get highs in the 20s with sporadic snow showers the next few days. The only "warm" periods we've seen are accompanied by storms and/or high winds.
    See, I look at this and think 44 is way too high for this time of year. yesterday was insane. Way too warm.

I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January. I haven't even gone through all my winter coats yet. I do wish the sun would put in a cameo every now and again though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I hate the month of February with every ounce of my being. Spring cannot get here soon enough.
    Welcome to Michigan's weather November through March... I've already had six snow days this year. The best is when we get ice storms in April!

Just do what I just did 2 days ago. Move to North Carolina.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?