Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial 2008 Severe Weather Thread

Re: The Unofficial 2008 Severe Weather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Just do what I just did 2 days ago. Move to North Carolina.
    or go south for college

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    See, I look at this and think 44 is way too high for this time of year. yesterday was insane. Way too warm.

I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January. I haven't even gone through all my winter coats yet. I do wish the sun would put in a cameo every now and again though.
    No offense, VP, but I hope you don't get to wear all your winter coats. We better be getting plenty of days in the 50s with some sunshine by the time the first week of March rolls around. I don't mind a little bit of winter, but once the holidays are over with I'm pretty much ready for the cold weather to end. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the time when the really cold weather starts kicking in.

I'm too much of a summer outdoors person that the winter days just start becoming a drag. Baseball, softball, golf, kayaking, cornhole, grill outs, chilling at the pool, etc ... that's my style.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

See, I look at this and think 44 is way too high for this time of year. yesterday was insane. Way too warm.

I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January. I haven't even gone through all my winter coats yet. I do wish the sun would put in a cameo every now and again though.
    I'm with VP 100%, I want highs in the teens
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'm with VP 100%, I want highs in the teens
    As someone who works outside most of the time I have to quote Jackie Moon and say:
    "Suck one!"

But seriously I don't know how the weather's been in Ohio/Kentucky, but here in Indy we've had plenty of days in the teens or lower. Today being one.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

It's not supposed to crack 65 here this week and it was cloudy all day. I don't know if I can deal with this anymore.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've been running a lot of freight in the south recently, going across I-20 quite a bit between Alabama and Texas. I was wearing shorts about all last week then I got out of Huntsville and ran up to Chicago. I then went from Chicago to Detroit and then back home, where I'm still sitting. I go through a lot of different weather zones and my body just stays completely confused, not to mention the colds I get when going from 80 to 15 in the course of one long run.

I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January.
    That's kinda how it works in Cincy. November and December progessively colder and January and February being total freeze outs. Nothing real shocking about that. January and February have usually been the coldest months and most miserable weather.

By the way the high in Indy today was around 24F or something. Real "mild" stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    No offense, VP, but I hope you don't get to wear all your winter coats. We better be getting plenty of days in the 50s with some sunshine by the time the first week of March rolls around. I don't mind a little bit of winter, but once the holidays are over with I'm pretty much ready for the cold weather to end. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the time when the really cold weather starts kicking in.

I'm too much of a summer outdoors person that the winter days just start becoming a drag. Baseball, softball, golf, kayaking, cornhole, grill outs, chilling at the pool, etc ... that's my style.
    Sounds to me like some cranky little springbug isn't lucky enough to own a vintage purple swing coat with red satin lining.

Zen says: when you cannot change the weather, buy coats.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    That's kinda how it works in Cincy. November and December progessively colder and January and February being total freeze outs. Nothing real shocking about that. January and February have usually been the coldest months and most miserable weather.

By the way the high in Indy today was around 24F or something. Real "mild" stuff there.
    23 and windy tomorrow. I'll take some mild, please.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I drove through Jackson the next morning after it hit. You could see where the tornado crossed I-40. Several semis were flipped clear off the road and there were trees flattened everywhere. I didn't go near the campus, but what I could see from the highway was bad enough. I had originally planned on trying to make it to Memphis the night before but when the weather started getting bad I shut down in Nashville. When I got to Jackson, I was glad I had spent the night where I did.
    The crazy thing is that was the 3rd tornado that has hit Jackson in the last 10 years. Ironically, the last time we had a strong La Nina, Jackson also got hit hard by an F4 tornado in 1999. It is their severe weather season down there but it's horrible that there were so many intense tornadoes. I would hate to be a semi driver in bad weather because it doesn't take alot for the wind to get underneath of it and flip it. A couple buddies of mine were chasing what ended up being a severe weather wind event (not tornadoes) and saw a flipped semi. I'm sure it's a scary thing and that's definitely something I wouldn't want to be a part of.

We're slated for snow and ice tonight and tomorrow.

For the record, I officially hate this woman now.

She's the meteorologist for an Indy TV station. Her purpose in life as far as I can tell is to scare people about weather. Three weeks ago we were supposed to get something like the Blizzard of '78 according to her and her senseless lackeys. We ended up with a dusting of snow.

My kids woke up at 5am ready to sled. Needless to say there was crying.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I knew Mechanicsburg was familiar for some reason. You're the first source I've heard of any damage but I'm certainly not surprised. I'm sure if that's the case that the National Weather Service will be going out to survey that tomorrow. I hope everything is OK with your family and that was definitely where the storm was the strongest. I actually saved a bunch of RADAR images from the storm (with both Mutual and Mechanicsburg shown which is pretty weird). Another weather nerd and I just got done talking about all of this and we are in a state of shock after that storm. Definitely let me know how things turn out with everything and everyone.
    Everyone ended up being ok. Thank God. But it give a lot of my friends a scare One of my really good friends, that's a girl, was bawling about it, even after about 15 mins after the cell had left. We aren't used to bad weather like that around here I guess.
    Let's make some noise!

That was right before you broke them the news about there being no place to actually sled in Indiana right?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    We're slated for snow and ice tonight and tomorrow.

For the record, I officially hate this woman now.

She's the meteorologist for an Indy TV station. Her purpose in life as far as I can tell is to scare people about weather. Three weeks ago we were supposed to get something like the Blizzard of '78 according to her and her senseless lackeys. We ended up with a dusting of snow.

Oh Angela Buchman from Channel 8...A buddy of mine is interning down there right now. He was actually saying the day after that storm the meteorologists down there were getting flooded with angry emails. The problem is we live in a day where everyone wants to be right ahead of everyone else. I can tell you winter weather is the absolute worst to predict. I do know that Steve Bray who also works Channel 8 expressed his concern about that storm saying you can always have changes that can affect storm totals dramatically. In addition the weather models that meteorologists use have been in some instances flat out wrong with handling winter weather this winter. I thought the funniest part of that whole ordeal was Channel 6 having a special newscast at 4 am for the snow and it turns out there was nothing. I don't know how that newscast went as I wasn't up, but I'm sure it wasn't good.

This goes for mainly severe weather season, but it can apply to winter as well. If you issue too many warnings people get hacked off because you're a sensationalist who loves to scare the crap out of people. On the other hand, if you don't issue enough warnings and someone gets hurt or killed then those same people think you should be fired. I just hope that people understand that meteorology is not perfect and meteorologists only do the best they can. But as science and technology improve there could be a day coming where forecasts improve even more. Prior to 1950 it was thought that tornadoes couldn't even be forecasted, period. Today we have RADARs that can detect the potential for most tornadoes (and the worst ones) and that has saved many lives. It's not perfect but it sure beats the snot of 60 years ago. Also we have complex weather models that are ran by supercomputers in Washington DC. That had greatly improved forecasts of all types of weather and alot of times meteorologists know when the environments are correct for severe weather, winter weather, etc. Again nothing is perfect but things have gotten ALOT better.
    Last edited by harangatang; 02-21-2008 at 06:36 PM.

What we're in store for over the next several hours...

Tomorrow morning could be a nightmare...

Turn Off Ads?